• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions about Verizon's policies

androidnewb

Nov 26, 2009
So I have that extended Verizon return policy since I purchased my Eris a couple of days ago (anyone confirm this with a retail store yet?)

What is Verizon's return policy on phones and accessories?
If the phone is in decent shape, will they take it back?
Are there any exceptions of when you can't exchange a phone? (I'm using the Eris and seeing if I like it, if not I will exchange for a DROID or HTC Passion if it comes out before the refund date)
Can I return the protective case?

Also does Google Talk count as Data or text messages? I assume data right?

You are correct. They will take a phone back without major damage. ie no gashes or cracked screen. The return date for any phone bought directly from Verizon from now till Dec 14 can be returned up to Jan 13. And yes, google talk is data.

For reference:
Satisfaction Guarantee
You may terminate service for any reason within 30 days of activation. If you purchased equipment from us at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return that equipment to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within 3 days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. A $35 restocking fee will apply if you exchange your device for a different model or color, or if you return your device and within three days purchase another one. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.

Return and Service Termination
You may return any or all of your merchandise for any reason within 30 days of purchase.

The original customer receipt must accompany all returns.

If you cancel your service after the 30–day period, but prior to the expiration of your minimum term, you will be responsible for the Activation Fee, all applicable usage fees, access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date, including an Early Termination Fee.

If you return your merchandise, even by mistake, more than 30 days after your purchase, you will not receive a refund and the merchandise you returned will not be returned to you.

At our discretion, we may decline your return or charge you a fee for a missing item, or for items that we determine are damaged or require service. If you return and we accept your merchandise within the 30–day return period, we will refund your merchandise's purchase price. If you return a phone without a UPC on the box, the amount of the refund will be reduced by the amount of any mail–in rebate that was available for the phone at the time of purchase. Purchases made by cash or check, credit card or gift card will be refunded by check, credit card or gift card, respectively.

Upvote 0
Today is day 30 since I ordered my Droid online. I activated it two days later.

Last night, as I was walking through a dark parking lot. I heard something and thought I had stepped on a flattened aluminum can. I almost walked away, but went back to see if I could find whatever I had stepped on. I couldn't see anything, but I felt the "thing" as I first stepped on it, and then kicked it. To my horror, it lit up and when I bent down I dicovered it was my Droid! It has a Phantom Skinz protector installed on the screen. The asphault scratched up the protector pretty badly and also tore a small hole in it, resulting in a small scratch on the glass (only visible when the phone is turned off). I'm sure the phone would be unuseable had the Phantom Skinz not been in place. In addition to the small scratch on the glass, the phone sustained numerous deep scratches to the bezel surrounding the glass, and some scratches to the top edge of the keyboard.

Since I purchased the Droid in December, I have until mid-January to return it "no questions asked." Does "no questions asked" also apply to scratched phones? Since I am still within 30 days of activating the phone, I should be able to add insurance.

What do you think the chances are that I will be able to simply return the phone? I'm willing to return it and go back to my Blackberry for a few days before purchasing another Droid, if necessary. Or, should I simply add the insurance and pay the deductible for a lost or damaged phone?

TIA.

Upvote 0
The options you present raise ethical questions only you can answer for yourself. Adding insurance after the fact is fraud. If you take the phone back, and are honest with the rep about what happened and they swap you out then hey good for you. But any credible rep wouldn't do it for you. IMHO i would just live with it. Sounds to me all the damage is cosmetic anyway.

Upvote 0
Another policy to be aware of is demo'ing out to many phones.

I went from a BB Tour, then tried the Eris, then found the Eris $50 cheaper at Best Buy...so returned the Eris, reactivated my old Blackberry...went to Best Buy and the system said I made 3 contract changes in under 30 days so I couldn't get the new cheaper Eris. Now i am back to my old BB WE until the 17th which is when my billing cycle starts over. ARG. Now I am wondering if I should wait for the N1. MMMMM I am itching to get something. Love my BB but in the mood for something new and different.

Oh and I called VW to see if they could over ride the system, nope.

Upvote 0
The options you present raise ethical questions only you can answer for yourself. Adding insurance after the fact is fraud. If you take the phone back, and are honest with the rep about what happened and they swap you out then hey good for you. But any credible rep wouldn't do it for you. IMHO i would just live with it. Sounds to me all the damage is cosmetic anyway.
That is the most interesting/weird post I have ever seen.

Anyway, I suggest that you just take it back to Verizon and ask a saslesmen at the beginning of the day (when they are about to leave, they won't do anything).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones