• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions from a noob wanting to take the plunge.

Hi, I am thinking of getting this phone to replace my Iphone 3gs. I have a few apps that I use to monitor my business. I have Foscam ip cameras and an ap called total control which allows me to log in and view and move my PTZ cameras. Is there an app available for this in Anroid market place or elsewhere?

I have my Iphone jailbroken, is this phone rootable? If so, is it necessary to do so to mod the gui to my liking?

I use logmein ignition to check on my servers from time to time, is this app available as well?

What is the maximum combined storage that this phone can have?

One last question, is there a larger battery that can be bought to double or at least increase the life between recharges.

Thanks for any help with this, these are the last things I need to know to make the move over to an android OS. :)

If you want the best android alternative to the iphone (on AT&T), then the Samsung Captivate is the way to go.

1.) Look at this: Total Control - Android Video Camera Edition

I don't believe that this Android version of your app is available on the app store, but you can easily bypass AT&T's restriction on installing non-market apps using this (without rooting):

Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

2.) Yes this phone is rootable if you want complete control over your phone using a simple procedure:

[PROGRAM] One Click Root / UnRoot / All Models for (Mac and PC) - xda-developers

You DO NOT need to root if you want to change the UI. If you don't like Samsung's TouchWiz 3.0, there are some great alternatives like LauncherPro (highly recommended) and ADW.Launcher.

3.) According to this website:

https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/android/

Logmein Ignition is available on the Marketplace, so you can d'load/install it directly from your phone.

4.) I believe the phone supports up to a 32GB microSD card right now, which gives a maximum combined storage of 16+32= 48GB! BTW the microSD card capacity may be increased with software updates in the future.

5.) There are some rumors going around that Samsung will produce a larger capacity battery for the Captivate, but right now this is what we have:

Samsung Captivate Extended Battery (5 Star Rating): Google Checkout available.

I just did a simple google search "samsung captivate extended battery". Hopefully if Samsung makes one, it won't stick out as much lol.

Well I hope I answered your questions throughly so you can ditch that iPhone and grab a brand new Captivate without a doubt in your mind! (P.S. I, like many others on this forum, returned my iPhone 4 to grab this baby and have been in love with it since! :))

Reactions: RO3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones