• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Questions - Switched to Nexus S

dandroid11

Mar 26, 2011
Hi all just switched from Galaxy S with And 2.2 to Nexus S with 2.3.

Ive noticed a few differences that I would like help on.

1: On the email Icon I dont see the number of new mails. (On work exchange on nexus but was using pop3 on 2.2 if that makes a difference.)

2: In contacts on galaxy s the contacts search bar was on the main screen but on nexus you press the menu button to bring it up, can it be re-instated to the main contacts screen.

3: Sync Facebook contacts (photos and email) to my contacts. I have seen the issue with facebook and google on this but surely its an easy one to sort with an app.

4: If I setup different email, contacts and calendars will the sync only occur back to the account that created the item, I dont want gmail calendar items to sync back to my work email.

5: If I want to backup my work contacts to gmail contacts is there an easy way to do this..

D

What does that issue have to do with any of the OP questions? I know you're having problems, but your post is not helping in any way and is not relevant.

As for the issues the OP has, I can't help as I never had a Galaxy S so I'm not familiar with the UI for that phone other than to say that the UI does make a few minor changes to the phone setup. And I don't have a Nexus S yet to advise...we Canadians are still waiting for the phone.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Gearboxkramoj, this link relates to freezing issue.

I dont have any question related to freezing in OP.

Anyone else any idea or links to help.....

Thanks bfksc for your reply.

The one that really annoys me is that the email icon doesnt show the number of new messages. Ive never seen a phone without this...

BTW I really like the phone, Ive also noticed that some apps are not available either due to phone or version of android. TubeMate ,cant think of the others.........

Upvote 0
Hi all just switched from Galaxy S with And 2.2 to Nexus S with 2.3.

Ive noticed a few differences that I would like help on.

1: On the email Icon I dont see the number of new mails. (On work exchange on nexus but was using pop3 on 2.2 if that makes a difference.)

2: In contacts on galaxy s the contacts search bar was on the main screen but on nexus you press the menu button to bring it up, can it be re-instated to the main contacts screen.

3: Sync Facebook contacts (photos and email) to my contacts. I have seen the issue with facebook and google on this but surely its an easy one to sort with an app.

4: If I setup different email, contacts and calendars will the sync only occur back to the account that created the item, I dont want gmail calendar items to sync back to my work email.

5: If I want to backup my work contacts to gmail contacts is there an easy way to do this..

D

I can help with some of your issues.

The only thing I have found to show unread email count is LauncherPro. But that's on the dock and as far as I know only works with gmail.

I'm not sure if you can change that. I believe that's part of TouchWiz on the Galaxy s.

You can sync your facebook contacts as long as you are on 2.3.1 or 2.3.2 they took this feature out of 2.3.3 or unless you are rooted and running a custom rom.

You should be just fine syncing separate accounts i do it all the time. And it syncs to the proper account.

Are saying you want to try and backup contacts from one account to the other or what? I'm slightly confused by this question.

Upvote 0
4) Dunno if I'm reading this the way you are trying to explain it so I'll try my best to help. As far as I remember with what I've done, you can choose which account to sync your calendar when you create the event. The same with contacts. When you create a new contact, it'll ask you which account to sync to.

5) Use a different gmail account or create a "work contact" list with your current gmail account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones