• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Quick Titanium Backup Question

xxbrysonxx

Sep 20, 2010
Hey guys, I'm trying to do a backup using Ti Backup and I keep getting prompted to go into Settings-->Applications-->and tick the "Unknown Sources" box.

I don't see a box anywhere under applications that says unknown sources. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Hey guys, I'm trying to do a backup using Ti Backup and I keep getting prompted to go into Settings-->Applications-->and tick the "Unknown Sources" box.

I don't see a box anywhere under applications that says unknown sources. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Yeah, it's called "Allow mock locations" on the captivate in "menu", "settings", "applications", "developement".

Try that, it should work.

Upvote 0
I too am getting this message along with the one where it asks you tick the USB debugging option too and after ticking both, this and the "mock locations" selection, titanium still shows both msgs. Are things still ok to backup even after ticking the options it request you to even though the message still pops up afterwards? Sorry for noob question this is my first android phone and I've only had it a week :-/

Upvote 0
I too am getting this message along with the one where it asks you tick the USB debugging option too and after ticking both, this and the "mock locations" selection, titanium still shows both msgs. Are things still ok to backup even after ticking the options it request you to even though the message still pops up afterwards? Sorry for noob question this is my first android phone and I've only had it a week :-/

Are you for sure rooted? Have you clicked the "Problems?" button at the bottom of the 1st screen in Ti? It will install busybox v. 1.17 or something like that because the newer versions of busybox had some issues. I believe that's what fixed this issue for me although I can't quite remember 100% I would go to the devs sight http://forum.legendroid.com/titanium-backup-official-support/ and check around about backing up with this issue present. Ti works great for me (ended up donating when it saved my bacon a few times!) but I did have this issue at first. I know it was something stupid easy, it's been a few months though.

Upvote 0
Since the Captivate does not offer the Unknown Sources switch, you need to do the enable sideloading mod.

ok so I hit the 'problems' button and busybox installed and I swear I did this before as the button is right in front of yo face so I know I installed it once cuz when I hit it again it said to undo...unless that's there by default.
The USB debugging msg has now disappeared but I am still getting the check the unknown sources box, I ticked/unticked/ticked the 'mock locations' option and it still shows up when opening titanium. So no go on that.

What do you exactly mean by enable the sideloading mod? You mean install on computer first or right on the phone...sorry only had this phone for a week in a half so still kinda new. All the help is greatly appreciated so far ;)

Upvote 0
ok so this is what I found after a quick search but I still need some help please.

#14: I have a Samsung and your app (free version) tells me to check the "Unknown sources" checkbox under Applications in Settings, but I can't find it ?
Yes the setting exists but Samsung hides it from the UI.
Here is how you can enable it. Be careful about single vs double quotes. Open a shell and then do:
su
First we can read the setting. A result of 0 means it's disabled:
/data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/sqlite3 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db "SELECT value FROM secure WHERE name = 'install_non_market_apps'"
Ok, so now let's enable the setting:
/data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/sqlite3 /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db "UPDATE secure SET value = 1 WHERE name = 'install_non_market_apps'"
Done! Now it shall work, and (as a bonus) you can also install apps manually by opening ".apk" files ;-)

Using Terminal Emulator app, window shows:
$export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$

I type su at $ prompt and get # prompt. After running the command in your fifth bullet, get the following:

/data/data/com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup/files/sqlite3
:cannot locate your home directory!
#

What do I need to do to make this work?

UPDATE
Rebooted phone and now works--think Clockwork already had changed the setting, but was not in effect until reboot.

>>>>>How do I create a shell and wtf is a shell!?!?!?

Upvote 0
"Allow mock locations" is not the same thing as "Unknown sources". "Mock locations" has to do with testing with fake location (GPS) data.

What I'd really like to know is (and the question that never seems to be answered on any forum I've researched, including the official Titanium Backup forum):

Why does Titanium Backup need "USB debugging" enabled all the time? This is a huge pain in the arse as that's not how I want my Captivate configured 100% of the time. The only way I use is it is as "Mass storage" so having to change USB debugging on/off every time I want to do a backup is really annoying.

As far as the "unknown sources" warning, for whatever reason I've stopped getting that error from TB when I start it up, even though I've not done any mods to enable it.

Upvote 0
yea, after I updated titanium to 3.5.2 yesterday the same two messages popped up, after selecting "usb debugging" first msg disappeared however the one with the unknown sources is still showing up....I would like to use this for backing up especially when the official froyo release comes out but am reluctant to do so if this msg keeps popping up....How can I get rid of this?

Upvote 0
yea, after I updated titanium to 3.5.2 yesterday the same two messages popped up, after selecting "usb debugging" first msg disappeared however the one with the unknown sources is still showing up....I would like to use this for backing up especially when the official froyo release comes out but am reluctant to do so if this msg keeps popping up....How can I get rid of this?

I have the same question. All it keeps saying is, "open a shell". What does this mean??????

I have backed up everything, donated, I'm all ready to go except this error message keeps popping up.

Upvote 0
Hello Folks,
I still cant get it to work. I am using AndroidShell. I enter "su" and it gives me a loooonnnngggg list of things like, "r-_Aug27 51428 vold" and "--_Oct4 0userdata/" and so on. Prob 30 or 40 lines. The two I listed are the final two, the vold one is last. I dont know what these mean. I don't understand code. I am not sure how to input these numbers/codes to achieve the result I need.

I am trying to simply use Titanium Backup to protect my apps and settings. It tells me I need to open a shell and set this up in order to allow proper restoration of files and apps. I also would like to learn how to get more involved in the code inputting side of the phone and my PC.

Can someone help me understand how to input these codes to get the correct outputs? Do you input a line at a time? Should I expect to see something in particular? Do I put in "every" character there? Like all of the " - _ > ? I apologize for all of the questions and my ignorance.

Also, is AndroidShell sufficient for this? I have ConnectBot, but it's even harder to figure out. I don't understand how to connect to a host or where to find one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
If you go ahead and pay $5 or $6 for the Titanium Backup Pro, you don't have to input any code for the restore function to work, you'll get the full complete program. To do what you guys are wanting to do you have to dnld "terminal Emulator" and open a 'shell" and enter the line of code. I tried all that, finally just bought the program, well worth $5 for the guys knowledge to create a backup program for us.

Upvote 0
For those of you with the ""usb debugging" error message, you can disable that in the program options.
uncheck:
Menu > Preferences > Warn if no USB debug

Apparently they put that message in there because some methods of attaining root require usb debugging mode to be enabled. But if yours doesn't you can just disable the warning.

SGS2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones