• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Qwerty texting and apostrophes

ElJudge

Apr 19, 2010
After two years tied to a Nokia 6300 I've just made the move into the lovely, lovely world of smartphones and the Desire. Am totally amazed so far, and can't believe I survived up until this stage without it...however, have one issue, which is probably just a shortcut I don't know...

With my old nokia, when texting with predictive text I could place a '.' where I wanted an apostrophe to be, and predictive text would realise. On the Desire I know I can hold down the long press on the letter C and get an apostrophe to appear, or I can type a word without it, and select the option with the apostrophe (i.e. type 'well' and select 'we'll'), but ideally I'd liked to be able to type quickly without having to do a long press...and sometimes the abbreviated word doesn't show up as an option...any ideas? Suggestions? Or had I better get over this one, tiny niggle :)

I've been having lots of problems with apostrophes. I'm using the "phone" style keypad though.

I've found that the predictive text usually requires you to put no punctuation in order to suggest the right word.

eg typing the apostrophe in these words will lose the word you meant, requiring a backspace or confusion: "didn't", "isn't", "I'm" ... etc ...
(but if you type them without the apostrophe, it will put one in)

Upvote 0
Thanks, Rainbow Snake - I'm a bit of a pedant with these things and it seems typing the word without any punctuation is the best way as it then brings up the properly punctuated word as an option. Will just be a change of habit I suppose. The last couple of days I had been typing 'did' then entering n, the apostrophe and then the t seperately for example and it was fairly time consuming.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones