• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

R00tr - One-Click Android Root for all devices running 2.3.x Gingerbread and above (Semi Web-Based)

Cipher22

Lurker
Sep 16, 2012
UK
EDIT: Initial version has been released. Check it out here: http://www.nextgenhacker.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/R00tr-v0.1.zip

Hi guys! Just thought I'd show you all something I've been doing.

I've been trying to build a web-based root for around 2 months now, so that people just need to go to a website and click a button to root their phone or tablet. Technologically, this is possible, and R00tr is kind of the first stage in that process.

R00tr is web-based, and uses a vulnerability in the Android Browser image-caching system to root the device, but requires desktop-based software to actually send the payload. I am working on making the process fully web-based, though.

Here, you can see me rooting my Samsung Galaxy Y with R00tr, although I've tested it on 18 models of phone and 3 models of tablet, and the Root is known to work with all versions of Gingerbread, Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich, and I'm pretty sure it'll work on Jellybean (if anyone has jellybean and wants to help me test it, please let me know):

(R00tr - One-Click Android Root for all devices running 2.3.x Gingerbread and above (Web-Based) - YouTube)

Let me know what you think! Hoping to release this (open source) to the community in a few weeks, once I'm confident it's not going to break anything :p

Thanks man!

Yeah, comex's jailbreak was actually one of the inspirations for this, and is the main reason why I spent so long searching for a security hole in the browser (guess I got lucky ;) )

The interface I have planned is very simple - you just load a page, tap a button and NextGen does the rest. I already have pretty much all of the internal framework and exploit done, so it's just testing/optimizations and the interface to go. I'm hoping to make rooting as accessible as possible to people.

I will keep this thread updated as I make progress :)

Upvote 0
You may want to post a list of compatible devices that you have tested and a statement that you shouldn't be liable for anything that happens. This is a huge risk to you for people using your software. Many devices will be affected by the RITC exploit, but more likely won't. There's a reason most devices have unique methods of root.

Not trying to bash you, but I'd rather trust Cyanogen team or HTC/Moto's methods.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones