• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RAM Check on Android 11 OS?

Hi all,

I tried searching the Internet for an answer to this but nothing came up for Android 11...

It's running the Android "Go" version that's made for devices with limited hardware like mine which only has 1GB of RAM.

It was so easy to check current RAM use on my very old phone running Android 4.1...

My phone is a ZTE. Link here with full specifications: https://www.optus.com.au/prepaid/phones/optus/x-start-3

Thank you for any help!!!

how can I see how much RAM is being used by Apps that are currently running

You can see this in Developer Options after you enable it:
  • Open Android Settings.
  • Tap About Phone.
  • Scroll until you find the Build Number.
  • Tap on the Build Number option seven times.
  • You will receive a notification that Developer Options are enabled.
Then go to Settings - System - Developer Options (location might vary by manufacturer), or search in Settings for Memory. In Developer Options tap on Memory and it will show you how much is used.

Tap Memory Used By Apps to see how much each app is using.

Upvote 0
You can see this in Developer Options after you enable it:
  • Open Android Settings.
  • Tap About Phone.
  • Scroll until you find the Build Number.
  • Tap on the Build Number option seven times.
  • You will receive a notification that Developer Options are enabled.
Then go to Settings - System - Developer Options (location might vary by manufacturer), or search in Settings for Memory. In Developer Options tap on Memory and it will show you how much is used.

Tap Memory Used By Apps to see how much each app is using.
Thanks!

I've enabled developer options, but when I type "memory" in search in Settings I'm just given an option to view my "Storage" like what videos, photos, music files etc are taking up space but not the actual RAM that's being used at the moment by the various Apps I have opened?

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I'm looking at this now.

How can I be sure that it;s a trustworthy app that won't steal my personal information etc?

CPU-Z has been around for years (10-15 yrs) I have used it numerous times over 10-15 years on my computers and phones and have never had a problem CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

Upvote 0
The CPU-Z app will provide you with details on your phone's hardware configuration so it's not going to help you answer the query you actually posted -- you're already aware that your phone only has 1GB of RAM so CPU-Z is irrelevant.
With your particular phone having such a limited amount of system resources (below spec RAM), you should be very judicious about installing third-part apps. Even though your phone is running a Go version of Android, with only 1GB of RAM you need to allow for apps and services that you actually need as opposed ones you just want.

If you look in your Settings >> Battery menu, that will show you basic assessment of which apps are running and their usage. For a more detailed amount of apps and services running in the background, follow what @kate posted -- the Running Services menu in the Development Options menu has a lot more details. Read what she posted again and pay attention to the details. The Running services menu has to be viewed when you open up the Developer options menu. When you do a search in the Settings menu for memory that isn't going to work out. Try searching for running services instead.

Upvote 0
I've enabled developer options, but when I type "memory" in search in Settings I'm just given an option to view my "Storage" like what videos, photos, music files etc are taking up space but not the actual RAM that's being used at the moment by the various Apps I have opened?
Then you can search for Developer Options. After taping on Developer Options, Memory is the first option listed.

Running Services that @svim mentioned is 5 or 6 below Memory in Developer Options and provides a little more detail.(y)

When you do a search in the Settings menu for memory that isn't going to work out.
It works on my phone, but every phone is different :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm wrong here, CPU-Z will show Total RAM and Available RAM. Isn't that what the person is asking for?
The OP could just take the time to peruse through the Settings menu on their phone to find that same RAM usage info. The Battery menu will provide basic app memory usage stats, the Running services menu a lot more, and being integral to the Android OS there's no need to install a third-party utility. Granted apps like CPU-Z are small in size and don't require very much RAM when in use, but a phone with only 1GB of RAM, even when running a Go version, has inherent memory limitations that can't be ignored. Relatively, installing any third-party app will have more impact than for any of us using phones with more system resources.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm wrong here, CPU-Z will show Total RAM and Available RAM. Isn't that what the person is asking for?
Thanks!

Sorry I wasn't clear in my question.

This is what I'm asking:
I'm aware that my phone is very limited and that it only has 1GB of total RAM available. I just want to know how I can check which Apps are using the most memory RAM and how much free RAM is available.

Would I see a huge upgrade in performance if I bought a new phone with say, 3GB of RAM? Or is my phone's CPU also limiting performance?

These are my phone specs:

Upvote 0
Would I see a huge upgrade in performance if I bought a new phone with say, 3GB of RAM? Or is my phone's CPU also limiting performance?

The low end CPU and only having 1GB of RAM are both hurting performance. If/when you buy a new phone I would recommend one with a minimum of 4GB of RAM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones