• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ran Unrevoked on Evo, but some 'root' functions won't work...what did I do wrong?

Lcaesar

Lurker
Aug 22, 2010
I have an HTC Evo with 2.2 on it. I'm very new to this rooting world, so sorry if these questions are dumb...

I installed the usb drivers and ran Unrevoked on it last night. Unrevoked ran ok on it and said 'Done' at the end. When I hold the volume down and power button, the top of the screen says: "SUPERSONIC EVT2-3 SHIP S-OFF".
Since it shows "S-OFF" and unrevoked seemed to run successfully, I think I'm rooted, but I'm not really sure. I have the Superuser icon in my programs list, and I am able to run a 'root only' screenshot program.
So here's the problem. The reason I tried to root is to delete some of the bloatware from Sprint and for wireless tethering. I tried running Titanium Backup and got the following error: "Error: Sorry, I could not acquire root privileges. This application will not work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and try again".
Wireless tethering will run and I can connect to it with my laptop, but after I'm connected, I can't access any web pages. Have I downloaded the wrong wireless tethering program? (I downloaded the latest one listed at this page: wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre9.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre9 *** EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code). Thoughts?
So, am I rooted or not? Am I "partially" rooted, since the screenshot program will run? What do I need to do to get the wireless tethering to work?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones