• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Random, annoying home screen

nitronovice

Lurker
Dec 30, 2013
Every now and then, I get this weird screen when I press the home button on my Galaxy W.
SC20131209-163530.png

The only way to exit this screen is to press the back button. Sometimes pressing the home button again will bring me back to this screen.
The first few times it did this, it prompted me to run it through either Accuweather or Clock. After I deleted Accuweather, it defaulted to running through Clock, as seen in my task manager.

This is my normal home screen.
SC20131219-182032.png

As I'm typing this out, my phone keeps switching between the two home screens shown above about every minute.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Unforgiven
So I think I just narrowed it down.
It seems to be the "Desk Clock" feature that's part of the Clock app that came with the phone. I have no idea why it would keep coming on by itself though. I even tried clearing all clock data.
However, it won't let me uninstall it either.

Hmmm:hmmm2:

Can you go into Settings | Apps | All and choose "Desk Clock." There should be a disable button there which would do almost the same thing as uninstalling the app. It actualy freezes it which means it cannot run, but it still takes storage.

I just found out the other day when my wife was having problems that the settings in Touchwhiz are different then my GNex, so the names in my instructions may be a bit off.:eek:

Upvote 0
I only see:
Force stop, Cancel
Clear data, Move to SD card
Clear cache
Clear defaults

I don't want to mess you up. TW seems to display Android much differently than I am used to.:banghead:

I'm cooking supper right now, my wife will be home in a couple of hours and I'll take a peak at hers. I wonder in new optimus is onto something with the multiple launchers though.

Upvote 0
I'm running 2.3.5, and it's not rooted.
Should I root my phone?
If so, could you point me in a good direction to root it and disable the app as you mentioned?
For rooting read this, try to read it until you understand it, always remember once you root it you can do things that will cause your phone NOT TO WORK and so you need to read and follow the instructions exactly.

[GUIDE] Rooting, ClockworkMod and Custom ROMs...an A to Z for beginners - xda-developers

Then after your rooted you will need a file explorer, I use Root Explorer its what I know I do not know how to do the things in the others, never needed to.
in the file explorer you can navagate to the /system/app folder then find the app that you want to stop, then tap it and chose rename so for example if its deskclock you would see deskclock.apk change it to say deskclock.apk.b

then save it and reboot the phone it will then disappear from the app drawer. I don't recommend renaming deskclock though unless the samsung touchwiz has a second one in it which it very well might.

Reactions: nitronovice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones