• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random, unstoppable beeping

Last night around midnight, my A52, which was on the charger, started beeping approx 1/sec. After a minute or two, it started beeping rapidly, approx 2/sec. I unplugged the phone and closed all apps but it kept beeping. The only way I could get it to stop was to hold the side button and reboot. Notification settings are all OK.
Any ideas why this happened and how to prevent it? Do you think the midnight time is significant? I had no scheduled calendar events for that time, FWIW.

Reactions: richardwilson
Problem solved, and boy am I ever embarrassed! <insert BIG embarrassed emoji>
It turns out this wasn't my phone at all. The offending device was an electronic weather station that sits on my night table near where I charge my phone. The beep didn't, naturally, cause a vibration in my phone but that just added to the mystery. In my defense, I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids, which were out for the night. One ear is very bad, so I find echolocation of sounds difficult. The alarm button on the weather device is right next to the brightness control and apparently I'd inadvertently hit that at some point and activated an alarm for 12AM. When the alarm went off again last night, my wife immediately figured out where the sound was coming from. She hit the ALARM button which stopped the sound, and as a precaution unplugged the unit. Well, that only put it into snooze mode and the alarm went off again in 8 minutes, apparently on battery backup. This time, I got up and fiddled around with the unit until I figured out how to turn the alarm off.
Anyway, thanks for your excellent suggestions. I'm only giving this long explanation because, hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, that's not a good thing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones