• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Of course they do. A defining feature of most children is a lack of taste. ;)

I just have a strong disdain for Bruno Mars. Stop trying to be the next Michael Jackson.
As far as Bruno Mars is concerned, that goes for many artists - including myself:

You cannot reinvent the wheel; nor, reinvent Michael Jackson.

My format and songwriting fall under Adult Contemporary. I have songs that I've written that hearken back to the pre-rock Big Band era. Though I have performed rap and hip hop when I was in Top 40 cover bands, I did it with disdain. In some cases, I wouldn't even face the audience.

In my mind, a mantra would repeat itself, over and over again: "Count your twenties. Count your twenties..."

The band managers knew this, and, they would give me grief every chance that they could. Still, it was like being a car salesman: you REALLY had to believe in the products that you sold, or, the magic just wouldn't happen.

That's why I couldn't face the audience whenever I had to perform rap and hip hop. The music wasn't ME, it wasn't from my culture, or my age demographic. It was pure torture. Any kind of music that denigrates women, and glorifies violence... nope, not for me.

As a kid who grew up through the Apollo program, witnessed civil disobedience, and suffered through resignations in higher offices, and watched everything repeat itself again as an adult - oh, no. Not me, Naomi.

This is why when I rant here, it has to do with fostering peace, and spreading love (without covering politics and current events). I also try to promote my music here, too. Thank you, Moderators, for allowing me to be able to do that.

You see, we humans have more in common than anything else out going on out there. We question, try to find answers, and as the wheels turn - we all try to peacefully coexist. It is sometimes a difficult task - especially when you're stuck in traffic being subjected to Bruno Mars (chuckle).

Though, I am an Usher fan. He does what he does, with effortless class, and grace. Coming from me, I hope that doesn't sound (read) weird, or, paradoxical. Many of his songs come from the roots of Rhythm & Blues - that's how he gets my attention.

If I want a "funk fix", I whip out some James Brown, Tower Of Power or Parliament/Funkadelic (anyone remember Billy Preston, or, Joe Tex?).

If I want my heartstrings played like a harp, I listen to Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra.

If I want my 'wild side' taken care of, I'll bring out some Brownsville Station, or, some early ZZ Top. Should I want to endure constant musical dissonance, bring on some Primus.

If you want to see me jump, jive and wail - bring out some Louis Prima/Keeley Smith, or, more recently, The Brian Setzer Orchestra (got to see that show live - WOW).

If you want me to revel in wonderment, give me some Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys, Van Morrison, or, The Beatles.

Find the Paul Stookey track from the Peter, Paul & Mary album "1700" - "Whatshername"...

It'll bring tears to your eyes.

Gosh, I'm rambling... visit my lady's and my YouTube channel, and subscribe - I need all of my Android Forums pals here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkl6GYDXaLa2DIXlN5Reo5w

Reactions: kct1975 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Of course they do. A defining feature of most children is a lack of taste. ;)

I just have a strong disdain for Bruno Mars. Stop trying to be the next Michael Jackson.

Children's lack of taste is nothing new... :D

album_donny.jpg

th

artist_50802.jpg

And these were all a staple of many pop music stations, and youth club discos back in the day. And Bruno Mars seems to have become a staple of Inner Mongolia Music Radio FM. In fact an English teacher I know, who's Mongolian, she flew all the way to Shanghai, at considerable expense, just to see Bruno Mars live.

At least back in the '70s and '80s there was no AutoTune, although some "artists" didn't actually sing or play their own songs, hello Milli Vanilli.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll just leave this here...

Super-Junior-super-junior-30731323-1440-900.jpg

2015292125984.jpg

Don't know if this works outside of China..
http://www.ehshig.com/
Ershig Mongolian Music Box app. It's what I've been listening to a lot of recently. NO K-pop!
GOOD LORD WHY ARE THERE SO MANY!?!

EDIT: I downloaded that apk but it almost immediately said "not installed" when I tried. So my guess is no, it doesn't work outside China. A shame, I'm in America, but love music from all over the world. For a minute I was excited at the possibility of an Asian version of Pandora!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GOOD LORD WHY ARE THERE SO MANY!?!

EDIT: I downloaded that apk but it almost immediately said "not installed" when I tried. So my guess is no, it doesn't work outside China. A shame, I'm in America, but love music from all over the world. For a minute I was excited at the possibility of an Asian version of Pandora!
Check out jamendo.com - the app is not as good as the site yet, but a lot of good stuff there. Free and legal to download too.

Upvote 0
You had to do it. You had to bring Conway Twitty into this.

A new Southern Baptist preacher had arrived in Gwynette. He was young, charismatic, and good looking.

Every time he knocked on someone's door in Gwynette, to introduce the locals to his new church, someone would always say:
"Has anyone ever told you that you look like Conway Twitty?" He'd stand there, nonplussed, and thank them for their time, re-inviting them to his new church.

On one occasion, however - he'd knocked on someone's door... and, a very HOT looking woman answered the door, in a bikini and heels.

She looked at him after inviting him in, and said: "You know, you look just like Conway Twitty."

After taking off his coat and hat, he said:

"Hello, darlin'. Nice to see you."
LW

Last edited:
Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Okay, as Early suggested earlier (ha ha) I'm trying out the Android Forums app. I was having too many problems with the website on my phone. I wonder how long it'll take getting used to?
Make sure to turn off all notifications in the thing or else it's a power hog.

Great for posting and uploading pictures though - and pretty quick at checking threads you frequent.

You can also pop quickly from a post to viewing in the mobile browser.

It took me a while to get my head around it.

I won't say it's ideal, just that it doesn't suck in a different way from the mobile view.

Reactions: Revenant Ghost
Upvote 0
Make sure to turn off all notifications in the thing or else it's a power hog.

Great for posting and uploading pictures though - and pretty quick at checking threads you frequent.

You can also pop quickly from a post to viewing in the mobile browser.

It took me a while to get my head around it.

I won't say it's ideal, just that it doesn't suck in a different way from the mobile view.
Good to know, thanks. And I just turned off notifications on the app to save battery life. I'll play with it for a few days to see if I stick with it.

Upvote 0
I've tried Tapatalk, and, the regular app. I still prefer the mobile version of the forums.

I'm not notified; I just check in. My Alerts take care of that for me.

The only problem is that I use the Ghostery browser. Sometimes, when proofreading, you have to reload the page to get your text scroll function back.

Other than that, things work fine. Tapatalk was a memory hog, as this phone's ext 2 memory and bootloader are read-only. After attempting root on this Boost LG F3 twice, my SD card screwed up, and I incurred the wrath of the woman I love.

So, less apps, anything that I don't use is disabled, and I leave less of a digital footprint wherever I surf.

Using Ghostery's browser, and visiting 'da forums' via surfing, works best for me.

Have a great Saturday. LW

Upvote 0
I must've cleared the room again... good luck with the Android Forums app, Revenant One... I still have to enable the stock browser to upload photos, but, I've disabled Chrome, and uninstalled all of its updates. Google+, Drive, and the rest are disabled, because I've already experienced Facebook, and don't want any repeats of that.

I've got a fellow who wants to mentor my music career (for a fee, of course) - and, so far, his ideas seem sound... we'll see where that leads.

May everyone share a little Peace & Love, and enjoy your Sunday :)...
LW

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones