• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Those "fart nozzles" sound like the old Abarth exhaust:
http://www.abarth-exhausts.com/

My Spitfire had both a resonator and a muffer. With only 4 " of ground clearance it was easy to lose the resonator. With just a muffler, you wouldn't believe the noise 1600cc could make.

I like the sound of the nozzles. Reminds me of old sports cars like Triumph, MG, Sunbeam, etc.

Upvote 0

My Spitfire had both a resonator and a muffer. With only 4 " of ground clearance it was easy to lose the resonator. With just a muffler, you wouldn't believe the noise 1600cc could make.

I like the sound of the nozzles. Reminds me of old sports cars like Triumph, MG, Sunbeam, etc.
Ugh. I see those names and remember how painful it was to maintain them...

Upvote 0

I remember reading a long time ago that lower displacement engines are typically noisier or some such.

I find the sound of any 4 cylinder to be quite off-putting. But I grew up infatuated with my dad's 1967 Pontiac Firebird with it's 400 cui(6.5 liter) V8. There's no more beautiful noise than a V8 engine, especially with a good cam. ;)

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Mindless 'happy-as-you-go' pop music is relatively harmless.

PattiCake, listen away, and be happy. :)

It's the music that insidiously divides us in the United States that worries me.

AM Rock in the '60s and '70s, while being poor in sound quality, played everything that made the Top 40 - The Beatles, then, the next tune would be Aretha Franklin; followed by The Beach Boys, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Conway Twitty or Roy Clark, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles... Hendrix... Joplin... then...

As the '70s kicked in, Brownsville Station, The O'Jays, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, and...

I miss those times. Our nation, trying to come together, via radio.

Now, radio divides us - especially in the talk show format. SiriusXM fills the void, but, the old magic between the deejay and listener has disappeared - unless you're the right caller for those free concert tickets.

Interestingly enough, one of my favorite deejays is George Noory on Coast To Coast AM. He covers the paranormal, UFOs, and subjects that are informative and mind-opening about current events.

My hopeful rant - LW

You can sum up the problems with radio today in two words: Clear Channel.

Upvote 0
Clear Channel, or as they're called these days, iHeartMedia. I actually like listening to a few of their stations sometimes in the mornings, via the iHeartRadio app, namely Country Roads. Then I listen to BBC Radio 4 in the afternoons, for the morning Today news programme, and never miss The Archers of course. The local station is Inner Mongolia, People's Broadcasting FM for Xilin Gol, which I only give a listen when I'm in taxis sometimes, and they often do play What Does The Fox Say - Ylvis. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Clear Channel came into town, took over half of the available FM stations, then rearranged everything. Got rid of my favorite morning team, and skipped through a half-dozen alternatives before they scrapped the whole format and turned the station into crappy talk-radio.

If I want crappy talk radio, I'll listen to NPR.

Even better, I turned off the radio, bought an adapter to plug into my car stereo and listened to my own damn music off an USB drive. No commercials, no BS talk... I can skip a song I don't feel like listening to today, and I can switch formats simply by switching drives.

... good thing this is a rant thread. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Clear Channel came into town, took over half of the available FM stations, then rearranged everything. Got rid of my favorite morning team, and skipped through a half-dozen alternatives before they scrapped the whole format and turned the station into crappy talk-radio.

Even better, I turned off the radio, bought an adapter to plug into my car stereo and listened to my own damn music off an USB drive. No commercials, no BS talk... I can skip a song I don't feel like listening to today, and I can switch formats simply by switching drives.

Very much the same thing happened to many local commercial radio stations in the UK. Taken over by a national company, Heart Radio (no connection to Clear Channel or iHeart), renamed all the stations, like GWR Bristol to "Heart Radio Bristol", "Heart Radio Bath", and they all sound exactly the same, same branding, same generic pop playlists, with almost nothing local whatsoever. Fortunately UK has BBC local radio, which is still very much "local".

This is Clear Channel or iHeart, but it happens to play some of the music I want to hear in the mornings.
countryroad.jpg

Interestingly, there's no "United States only" IP geo-restrictions on it, doesn't need a VPN. Although not very likely to be buying my Keith Urban songs via Google Play or Amazon. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

I haven't listened to the radio in my own vehicle in about 20 years.

Upvote 0
My kids played a Sims game on the smallest gaming device they had out at the time (I forget the model name - Wii?) and one of the obstacles in the game were evil chickens that would 'hurt' your Sim...

They called them "werechickens".

That cracked me up.

No street music this weekend for me, the weather forecast putting the kabash on things until next Wednesday.

My rant: I don't believe that Cottonelle Bathroom Tissue would make most people 'go commando'.

Old musical cats like me have been doing it for years. :)

LW

Upvote 0
You can sum up the problems with radio today in two words: Clear Channel.
You really mean, Clean Channel. What a joke. When they take one curse word out of a Steve Miller Band tune, you know that on the digitized airwaves, we are far behind other countries.

I understand about good morality, and I tried to raise my kids between the '90s to the New Millenium with respect for their elders, and taught them that cursing was not allowed in our home.

Meanwhile, back at the Disney ranch, their cartoons went to PG ratings, and flatulence was the 'in' thing. So, I explained to my kids that words like those were a part of adult culture, and out of respect for myself and their mother, they shouldn't speak that way at home.

Ah, Catholic School and parents raised during The Great Depression programmed me very well. All of my childhood friends had younger parents, so, it was a treat to say the word 'fart' while visiting their homes.

So, I kinda caved in with my kids.

Clear Channel...

Reactions: kct1975 and mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones