• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rant Thread - What really grinds your gears?

Okay...my Rant for today...

At one time when having to introduce myself at meetings, I was introducing myself as my official title...Facilities Administrator...then I was told that I needed to start introducing myself as "{My Manager's} Admin Assistant in the Facilities Department" now I have been told that if I must introduce myself, as "I'm {My Name} an Admin assisting the Facilities Department"

So what that means is that while I work my A$$ off...I am not permitted to publicly have any professional pride.

Honestly, please believe me when I say that I am not really big on Titles, but honestly I am really getting tired of having to completely humble myself and prove myself. Especially when I have been working in the same job for almost 8 years.

Not to sound like a complete jerk, but with the sheer work experience I have, I do feel that I should be allowed at least some simple professional respect.

Sorry for the looooonnnnngggg rant... [emoji53]

Upvote 0
Okay...my Rant for today...

At one time when having to introduce myself at meetings, I was introducing myself as my official title...Facilities Administrator...then I was told that I needed to start introducing myself as "{My Manager's} Admin Assistant in the Facilities Department" now I have been told that if I must introduce myself, as "I'm {My Name} an Admin assisting the Facilities Department"

So what that means is that while I work my A$$ off...I am not permitted to publicly have any professional pride.

Honestly, please believe me when I say that I am not really big on Titles, but honestly I am really getting tired of having to completely humble myself and prove myself. Especially when I have been working in the same job for almost 8 years.

Not to sound like a complete jerk, but with the sheer work experience I have, I do feel that I should be allowed at least some simple professional respect.

Sorry for the looooonnnnngggg rant... [emoji53]

Don't you have a contract with your job title in it?

Upvote 0
I think since whatever law or regulation that passed allowing numbers to be ported, that cat's out of the bag. In fact, what will probably happen is what already happened here in Massachusetts about 20 - 30 years ago. We have two area codes for each area and have had to dial 10 digits for local calls. For me in Central MA we have 508 & 774 and are interchangeable between mobile & land line phones. So instead of them reclaiming numbers, they will be issued new blocks of numbers in a new area code that overlays the existing area codes.

V is trying to buy Yahoo. If people have given their cell numbers to Yahoo, then there is real proof and fodder for V to pester. V knows where the numbers went to a carrier, but not if an account holder changed name, moved, etc. The sale hasn't gone through yet. 2 major instances of hacking and the sale has gone down by over 1 billion dollars.

I don't give anyone a cell number just for verification. Google has it for Play and that's it. No one else is getting it.

Upvote 0
Well Verizon is at it again. Free Pixel or Moto Z with trade in or 10 bucks a month for 24 months with no trade in. :mad:
Why must they tempt me?

It does bring up a question, were I to get a Pixel XL through VZW would it still follow suit with updates directly from Google or will VZ get in the way as always? :rolleyes:

I do so hate conflicts of interest.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Perhaps I was a little terse... but man what a punk.

I've been where you are, and there there could be 'issues' and 'stuff' on his side thats giving him a hard time... so it comes down to the fact that despite the fact that you want to help, you can't always. If you're of strong mental strength... I'd just walk away from the thread, and do something else..... If you're not (like me) and the guy is getting under your skin then thats what the ignore user feature is for. There's lots of people on this site and if there is a 'personality clash' then walk away, and let someone else help/not help.

It rarely happens, but there's 1 (and only 1) member that really wound me up... and despite him still being semi-active on this site, I just don't have to deal with him anymore. I'm happier, android forums is happier, he might be happier (but for the last one I neither know nor care).

We all like you here too much to risk losing your input just because some individual doesn't want your help.

Upvote 0
I've been where you are, and there there could be 'issues' and 'stuff' on his side thats giving him a hard time... so it comes down to the fact that despite the fact that you want to help, you can't always. If you're of strong mental strength... I'd just walk away from the thread, and do something else..... If you're not (like me) and the guy is getting under your skin then thats what the ignore user feature is for. There's lots of people on this site and if there is a 'personality clash' then walk away, and let someone else help/not help.

It rarely happens, but there's 1 (and only 1) member that really wound me up... and despite him still being semi-active on this site, I just don't have to deal with him anymore. I'm happier, android forums is happier, he might be happier (but for the last one I neither know nor care).

We all like you here too much to risk losing your input just because some individual doesn't want your help.
Ha, I just used the ignore feature for the first time.
It is more of the sense of entitlement that gets under my skin. What he did (bricking) was his own fault. I've been there. I figured it out on my own and I'm better off for it. Humility goes a long way with me, but yeah, I walked away before I let it get out of hand.
I've got to stop trolling and harassing these poor folks with my helpful advice.

Also, glad you are back in good spirits and glad it wasn't me that you blocked
;).

Upvote 0
It's funny isn't it, how some people react on forums. I recall a guy in the dev forum, who for some reason flipped out when I asked him to post up his code, to help answer his question. I forget the exact details, but he got a bit worked up, and declared these forums useless for advice. Never did get to see that code, I could have probably helped him with it.
And incidentally, he would have been ripped to shreds on Stack Overflow for asking a vague question. Oh well..

Upvote 0
It's not as bad as it used to be, but yeah, RTFM was as common a response as anything else, and the aforementioned FM was usually written by a programmer often as an afterthought so was as clear as high-quality mud.

My rant isn't so much a problem for me today as I will be getting paid for this, but is a big one for most travelers: two hour delay at the airport.

This time it's because the flight crew has not showed up. Apparently the weather today had borked up scheduling, so my flight has a two hour delay until a flight crew can come take charge of this regional jet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not as bad as it used to be, but yeah, RTFM was as common a response as anything else, and the aforementioned FM was usually written by a programmer often as an afterthought so was as clear as high-quality mud.

My rant isn't so much a problem for me today as I will be getting paid for this, but is a big one for most travelers: two hour delay at the airport.

This time it's because the flight crew has not showed up. Apparently the weather today had borked up scheduling, so my flight has a two hour delay until a flight crew can come take charge of this regional jet.

Tell you how bad this can be - belonged to a local Adobe users group for college students.
No one knew what RTFM meant.
We also discussed ATM - Asynchronous Transfer Mechanism? Automatic Teller Machine'

Adobe users??? They forgot totally Adobe Type Manager. That's what made the software work the way it was supposed to if you were designing.

I'm not even sure the Vulcan knows what RTFM means. He plows ahead since he does know certain electronics and eventually winds up with a gripe about how things work.

Upvote 0
Did mine early. Only problem was finding a DVD/VHS recorder for the Vulcan. He prefers to record Golf OTA on VHS. He was eying my DVD recorder. I finally had to explain that you can't go down to the local big box and buy one off the shelf. Bought one that didn't work right, seller took it back and did have another which is working. He seems happy with it.

Our Panasonic must be over 15 yrs old.

The kids get gift certificates from Amazon UK and UK also had the book I wanted to send daughter. I did have to mail her required "handmade" present and card.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Well Verizon is at it again. Free Pixel or Moto Z with trade in or 10 bucks a month for 24 months with no trade in. :mad:
Why must they tempt me?

It does bring up a question, were I to get a Pixel XL through VZW would it still follow suit with updates directly from Google or will VZ get in the way as always? :rolleyes:

I do so hate conflicts of interest.

VZ isn't supposed to. That's why the exclusive. Just watch out for the supercookie.
They are supposed to get rid of it.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Ad-Agency-Settles-With-FTC-Over-Verizon-Super-Cookies-138591

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones