• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RAZR Car Mount?

radjxf

Dec 1, 2011
Can anyone here recommend a good car mount for their RAZR?

I need something that is very secure (my truck rides VERY rough) that I can set the phone in while it's charging, but still be able to grab it to answer a call or manipulate GPS.

I've seen the Motorola dock, but don't really need the extra functions and don't want something mounted to the windshield.

Thanks.

im confused lol...you want a car mount, but you dont want it mounted to the dash or widnshield? where would it mount then?

I edited my post. I just didn't want something stuck to the windshield. Something more accessible and not so up in plain view to others.

Maybe the cupholder or a dash vent mount? I see a lot of cheapo universals--figured the members here could point me to a quality mount.

Upvote 0
I have the Motorola Vehicle Navigation mount and I drive an 18 wheeler (lots of viabration). I use a Otterbox Commuter with it after removing the mount liner. Also I bought a round disc from Radio Shack that has adhesive on the back and a big space on the front for the suction cup of the mount and believe me it sticks to anything. The only other thing I did was to use the adjustable arm off my Droid X Vehicle Mount because it has a lot more range of motion than what came on the Razr Vehicle Navigation mount.

Upvote 0
I also didnt want a windshield mount or dashboard type so was going to get the mountek slot-mount for my razr but then when searching google I discovered an alternative 'cd slot mount' at slotmount com. This is the one I use because it is simple and fast to use, very safe and cheaper! lol. Its not so great for using the phone as navigation as it lays fairly flat, but totally ideal as a universal phone holder.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i have a 1998 ford explorer (it's a beast!) and i bought a $15 universal GPS mount from Radio Shack and bolted the mount down to my center console, just under my HVAC controls. (If you're familiar with that truck, i put the mount in one of the "pockets" in that area of the console.) It actually looks really nice and custom (except for a temporary modification i had to make to the mount using white foam tape for the phone to fit snuggly. i will shortly be replacing it with black foam tape.) also, the power cord is just the perfect distance from the mount, right above it.

my truck rides rough (it's 13 years old and rolls on 31" BFG's) and I spent less than $20 and about a half hour. looks slick and is sturdy as hell.

Upvote 0
This is what I bought and love it!
http://www.amazon.com/MSW-Exogear-E...=UTF8&qid=1322469916&sr=8-1&tag=5336653508-20

It has a incredible suction cup that mounts to almost anything. VERY sticky! The clip opens wide. I'm using a case with mine and it opens plenty wide enough to hold the phone. It's a universal deal which I like. I hate having to buy new mounts for every new phone I get so this fixes that. The inside of the spring clip mounts are ribbed rubber so they hold the phone well. The one thing they could improve is the ball joint that swivels. Need to crank it down pretty tight to get it to not move. I'm wondering if sanding the ball a bit might resolve that. But I bought three of these dudes and love em. They're very easy to get the phone in/out of and hold it pretty darned secure. Plus that suction cup is flat out second to none and I'm not kidding...it's unreal.

Upvote 0
I bought the mountek 5000 (mt-5000 which is a cd mount) for my gti and I'm amazed at how great it is. I researched this to death and I'm thrilled with my decision

Hi, I found this Mountek too but can you tell me if the RAZR can fit into it horizonitally? The specs I found suggest it won't and I would want it to sit horizontally for google maps, etc, not just vertically.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The Motorola windshield mount is AWESOME and worth every penny of retail. Unlike the generic mount I used for my previous phone, this one is designed to custom-cradle the Razr. It has a removable insert, so it accepts the Razr with or without a phone cover on it. It also has an easy-latch connector for the USB port, so instead of having a cable hanging off it sideways, there is no lateral force on the USB port. The USB and Audio wires are also joined into a single cable, for a very clean single-cable design.

The windshield mount is super secure and easy to angle. I have it in my Bimmer and it looks nice. Also, I don't think the cradle is a target for thieves when the phone is not present. I can't think of a better mounting option than suction cup. I certainly wouldn't want to hang the thing from the delicate A/C vents or blocking airflow.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The only other thing I did was to use the adjustable arm off my Droid X Vehicle Mount because it has a lot more range of motion than what came on the Razr Vehicle Navigation mount.

I did the same thing. With the adjustable arm of the DX mount I'm able to mount it on the dash and lower the arm so that the bottom of the phone dock is nearly on the dash. Works well for me and since the dock is built for the Razr it's cradles it nicely and without obstructing the screen.

Mike

Upvote 0
Glad to see someone reactivated this message..... Anyway, I just purchased the Verizon Razr Mount. With regards to the mount it is excellent, but the apps that automatically come up really suck.

Can someone please help me either override the apps or advise me on how to change them? What I want to have access to is: Google Maps, Pandora, XM, access to Weather Bug and maybe gas buddy, and even Skype lol!

I remember having some add on options with my OG, but haven't found anything here.Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0
Can someone please help me either override the apps or advise me on how to change them? What I want to have access to is: Google Maps, Pandora, XM, access to Weather Bug and maybe gas buddy, and even Skype lol!

I changed mine, I don't have my phone in front of me, so I'm only going to get close with the steps to take, but it should get you by.

For instance, I changed 'Music' on mine to be the Old Time Radio Player that I listen to when I'm in the car. I believe it was as simple as long press on Music, then one of the options is to change the app. The button still says 'Music', but the app that starts is now the OTR Player.
It's possible that it was menu rather than long press, but it's doable.

Reactions: RandolphNY
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones