RAZR Car Mount?Tips

1. radjxf

radjxf Member

Can anyone here recommend a good car mount for their RAZR?

I need something that is very secure (my truck rides VERY rough) that I can set the phone in while it's charging, but still be able to grab it to answer a call or manipulate GPS.

I've seen the Motorola dock, but don't really need the extra functions and don't want something mounted to the windshield.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jrappy87

jrappy87 Well-Known Member

im confused lol...you want a car mount, but you dont want it mounted to the dash or widnshield? where would it mount then?
  3. radjxf

radjxf Member

I edited my post. I just didn't want something stuck to the windshield. Something more accessible and not so up in plain view to others.

Maybe the cupholder or a dash vent mount? I see a lot of cheapo universals--figured the members here could point me to a quality mount.
  4. jrappy87

jrappy87 Well-Known Member

ive got the gps mount, its nice...that would be sweet tho seeing it in a dash mount, didnt know they have those...when i had my thunderbolt, i just set it in the cupholder for the gps lol...maybe others with know more :)
    radjxf likes this.
  5. katoom400

katoom400 Well-Known Member

I have the verizon mount it works out quite nice, I made a mount for it by my ash tray by using epoxy to secure a piece of lexan for the suction cup.... It hangs low and is easily reached from the center arm rest
    radjxf likes this.
  6. Speedy328

Speedy328 Active Member

Check out ProClipUSA.com. They were very helpful in suggesting a mount for my Razr car dock that woud not involve suction cup to windshield or adhesive. Speak to a CSR and they may be able to work something out for you. Also seem to be reasonable priced.
    radjxf likes this.
  7. lucky472

lucky472 New Member

I bought the mountek 5000 (mt-5000 which is a cd mount) for my gti and I'm amazed at how great it is. I researched this to death and I'm thrilled with my decision
  8. tnstra

tnstra Well-Known Member

I have the Motorola Vehicle Navigation mount and I drive an 18 wheeler (lots of viabration). I use a Otterbox Commuter with it after removing the mount liner. Also I bought a round disc from Radio Shack that has adhesive on the back and a big space on the front for the suction cup of the mount and believe me it sticks to anything. The only other thing I did was to use the adjustable arm off my Droid X Vehicle Mount because it has a lot more range of motion than what came on the Razr Vehicle Navigation mount.
  9. lmitz

lmitz Member

I also didnt want a windshield mount or dashboard type so was going to get the mountek slot-mount for my razr but then when searching google I discovered an alternative 'cd slot mount' at slotmount com. This is the one I use because it is simple and fast to use, very safe and cheaper! lol. Its not so great for using the phone as navigation as it lays fairly flat, but totally ideal as a universal phone holder.
  10. MZPilotGuy

MZPilotGuy Well-Known Member

You can always check out Ram Mounts. Give them a call and they should be able to point you in the right direction. They have tons of options, as well as mounts that will not only fit the Razr but will also fit other phones in the event you need a change. I've had one for quite awhile now and have no complaints.
  11. TheSuperman

TheSuperman Well-Known Member

12. lmitz

lmitz Member

Yes the Mountek works the same as the SlotMount, by using the cd player, but the SlotMount one fits and removes instantly and you dont have moving parts to twist. Its worth a look as an alternative to the Mountek because its smaller, cheaper and looks neater imho :)
  13. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

i have a 1998 ford explorer (it's a beast!) and i bought a $15 universal GPS mount from Radio Shack and bolted the mount down to my center console, just under my HVAC controls. (If you're familiar with that truck, i put the mount in one of the "pockets" in that area of the console.) It actually looks really nice and custom (except for a temporary modification i had to make to the mount using white foam tape for the phone to fit snuggly. i will shortly be replacing it with black foam tape.) also, the power cord is just the perfect distance from the mount, right above it.

my truck rides rough (it's 13 years old and rolls on 31" BFG's) and I spent less than $20 and about a half hour. looks slick and is sturdy as hell.
  14. melgrant

melgrant New Member

I just bought the Motorola dash/winshield mount. It works fine and charges well.
  15. Sportster

Sportster Well-Known Member

This is what I bought and love it!
    http://www.amazon.com/MSW-Exogear-E...=UTF8&qid=1322469916&sr=8-1&tag=5336653508-20

It has a incredible suction cup that mounts to almost anything. VERY sticky! The clip opens wide. I'm using a case with mine and it opens plenty wide enough to hold the phone. It's a universal deal which I like. I hate having to buy new mounts for every new phone I get so this fixes that. The inside of the spring clip mounts are ribbed rubber so they hold the phone well. The one thing they could improve is the ball joint that swivels. Need to crank it down pretty tight to get it to not move. I'm wondering if sanding the ball a bit might resolve that. But I bought three of these dudes and love em. They're very easy to get the phone in/out of and hold it pretty darned secure. Plus that suction cup is flat out second to none and I'm not kidding...it's unreal.
  16. mleber

mleber New Member

Hi, I found this Mountek too but can you tell me if the RAZR can fit into it horizonitally? The specs I found suggest it won't and I would want it to sit horizontally for google maps, etc, not just vertically.

Thanks!
  17. iploya

iploya Well-Known Member

The Motorola windshield mount is AWESOME and worth every penny of retail. Unlike the generic mount I used for my previous phone, this one is designed to custom-cradle the Razr. It has a removable insert, so it accepts the Razr with or without a phone cover on it. It also has an easy-latch connector for the USB port, so instead of having a cable hanging off it sideways, there is no lateral force on the USB port. The USB and Audio wires are also joined into a single cable, for a very clean single-cable design.

The windshield mount is super secure and easy to angle. I have it in my Bimmer and it looks nice. Also, I don't think the cradle is a target for thieves when the phone is not present. I can't think of a better mounting option than suction cup. I certainly wouldn't want to hang the thing from the delicate A/C vents or blocking airflow.
  18. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

19. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

20. mcoomer

mcoomer Well-Known Member

I did the same thing. With the adjustable arm of the DX mount I'm able to mount it on the dash and lower the arm so that the bottom of the phone dock is nearly on the dash. Works well for me and since the dock is built for the Razr it's cradles it nicely and without obstructing the screen.

Mike
  21. Doyer

Doyer Well-Known Member

I like the Arkon Mobile Grip sticky dash mount. Their mobile grip holder is my favorite holder I've come across from anyone (maybe the Exogear is second). Check it out:

Mobile Grip Removeable Sticky Dash & Console Mount

For $18, it's a pretty great deal.

22. Concat

Concat Active Member

ProClip makes the best mounts. You select you car model AND your phone model, and it clips right into the seams on your car. Very sturdy. No ugly suction cups - looks like a professional install really. Fits phone like a glove.

Only downside is the expense :( They are pricey.

Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts
  23. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

Glad to see someone reactivated this message..... Anyway, I just purchased the Verizon Razr Mount. With regards to the mount it is excellent, but the apps that automatically come up really suck.

Can someone please help me either override the apps or advise me on how to change them? What I want to have access to is: Google Maps, Pandora, XM, access to Weather Bug and maybe gas buddy, and even Skype lol!

I remember having some add on options with my OG, but haven't found anything here.Thanks in advance for any help.
  24. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I changed mine, I don't have my phone in front of me, so I'm only going to get close with the steps to take, but it should get you by.

For instance, I changed 'Music' on mine to be the Old Time Radio Player that I listen to when I'm in the car. I believe it was as simple as long press on Music, then one of the options is to change the app. The button still says 'Music', but the app that starts is now the OTR Player.
    It's possible that it was menu rather than long press, but it's doable.
    RandolphNY likes this.