• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RC33 blues

nims

Jan 21, 2009
So the long awaited update, regardless of its number hits my cell OTA style and i update. Everything seems to be running a bit smoother and the text messages inbox seems to especially be a littler quicker, fetching threads and displaying them, is much faster now. latitude is alright and updates are great. BUT, has anyone else noticed tha the [ my location ] in "maps" is not as accurate as before now? With gps on, theres no problem, it searches and pins you right on. but i rarely use gps bc it has always pinpointed my to the exact location without it. somehow now im off several miles...always.

anyone else?

have not received the rc33 update, but have never had non-gps pinpoint me exactly. It's usually 2 or more blocks away, at least. When I was using location-based settings in Locale, I had to make sure to create very large radiuses to make sure it found me, ended up not being all that useful because if the phone loses location info it messes up Locale. We'll see what happens after the OTA.

Upvote 0
No i didnt mean with latitude or any other app that are location based. i meant the regular maps app isnt as accurate as before. my signal is a couple of miles off. ive tested it with latitude and without. Its just not as accurate as before. Also the gps satellite takes longer to acquire a steady signal, but when it does, it pinpoints correctly. now with the gps turned off, it cant pinpoint me exactly right on, as it used to before. rc30 was working better as far as finding me without gps.

Upvote 0
Mine too seemed to get better. It still takes a second to locate me, but once it does its pretty dead on, and if im driving it will follow me nicely

I think you mean with gps on....that its following u nicely. thats not debatable, my gps is working fine. but the issue in question is when your gps is turned off, how well does your g1 locate you. before and after rc33. with the update im a couple of miles off.

Upvote 0
No change in GPS here.

If I have GPS on, but the cell tower assistance off, it works beautifully... Down to within a few feet.

If I have cell tower assistance on, whether GPS is on or not, the "My Location" feature doesn't work. It'll put the dot literally miles away.

It's been this way since I got my phone. I started a thread about it and no-one else had the problem.

Upvote 0
No change in GPS here.

If I have GPS on, but the cell tower assistance off, it works beautifully... Down to within a few feet.

If I have cell tower assistance on, whether GPS is on or not, the "My Location" feature doesn't work. It'll put the dot literally miles away.

It's been this way since I got my phone. I started a thread about it and no-one else had the problem.

I had to shut my "cell tower location" thing off when using GPS, it seems to be the first choice when both it and GPS are turned on. It also bepends where and how many cell towers there are nearby. It'll be more accurate where there are more towers nearby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones