• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reactivating a deactivated rooted phone on Verizon

I am saying that I got a newer phone to replace my Thunderbolt. Now My Tbolt is just sitting idle on my desk. I would like to reactivate the SIM card so that I can use the Thunderbolt as my daily phone again.

I'm asking if the phone being rooted will be visible to verizon and I will therefore be penalized for it?

Upvote 0
I have a wifi hotspot capability on my rooted Tbolt. I would be circumventing the $30/mo they charge for that feature. I know they would want their #30 if they were aware of that.

No, they don't care what features you have on your phone. They only care if you use them. I've got tethering and a wifi hotspot feature on my rooted phone. I never use them. VZW doesn't care about the fact that my phone is rooted.

Upvote 0
No, they don't care what features you have on your phone. They only care if you use them. I've got tethering and a wifi hotspot feature on my rooted phone. I never use them. VZW doesn't care about the fact that my phone is rooted.
Exactly. The carrier would have no way of knowing, nor would they care. As long as you aren't using root to violate their TOS, you're golden.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones