• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reading music in folders on SD card

bhssoccer89

Lurker
Apr 15, 2014
just switched from an S3, on my sd card i would create new folders (summer 13, winter '14) and add music to those folders. through the music player i could see those folders and play just a certain folder when i wanted to. i cant seem to figure this out on the m8. is this possible?

Yes just add your songs to the folder then create a playlist for each folder.Here are a couple screenshots of music player on mine although I haven't created any playlist yet.
Screenshot_2014-04-15-22-26-44_zpshgadiloo.png

Just click the + sign under playlist tab to create the playlist.

Screenshot_2014-04-15-22-26-54_zpsk4upexus.png

Upvote 0
yes i know i can make playlists in the music player. when adding files to a certain folder on my sd card i want that to be the time my playlist is created. otherwise i have to add my certain song to my folder on sd then again search for those songs on the phone and make a playlist out of it.

there just does not seem to be a way to read the specific folder through the music player

Upvote 0
"Disregard this if you want to use stock music player". Found the option in stock music player "See Next Reply "

Only way that I know to do that is use an app such as es file explorer, I'm sure their are other apps that will do this as well " maybe other music players in the play store".I have the option to add shortcut to desktop to play a music folder. This will play the music using the file explorer player.
Screenshot_2014-04-16-08-29-25_zps76rlaoro.png

Upvote 0
Ok go to music player, click upper right to edit settings, click edit tabs,check folders...This will let you select folders to play using the stock music player.

This is almost a solution.... but not quite. It still tries to read the metadata instead of the folder name, and thus moves some things to an "unknown artist" folder (even though on the pc it's clearly named). The One X was MUCH better in this regard - it just showed you the folder names instead of trying to go all iTunes.

Any other suggestions? Really disappointed about this - it's one of the main reasons I prefer Android over iOS, and now that they're trying to match the same annoyances as iPhone.... Sigh.

Upvote 0
Most all players organize your music by it's metadata file info. Your easiest avenue is to take the time to create a playlist for each folder. Your other option would be to use a different player... one that will let you play per genre. You could then edit the meta files genre category to reflect your folders and sort/play in that fashion.

I feel your pain. I for many years collected and ripped music not at all concerned about the metadata files. I sorted and played my music by folders on my pc. Back in the day, there were many players that read file name vs the metadata file info. Once the better players came out.. ones with quick search powers.... I was screwed. I spent countless hours editing the metadata file info so I might search/sort/play my library.

Upvote 0
Try being a classical musician with a 2000 CD AND LP library..... This is one of the (many) reasons I hate iTunes, since I don't WANT to store everything digitally, and syncing became a real problem. Add that many pre-iPod cds (especially remasters of older recordings) havve seriously messed up metadata that takes hours to retag.....

Bleurgh. I guess I'll make do with imperfectly-named folders for now, and playlists as needed. I just wish they had left it as per the One X generation of the music player, which was fine.......

ETA: Continued googling led me to Mortplayer. Anybody tried it? I may give it a whirl.............. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stohelit.folderplayer&hl=en

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones