• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Really disappointed with this phone

Thats one of my problems...I've raised hell with verizon so many times and they don't help. They tried a reset of my system....everything was the same but I had to go back and redownload my apps since they all deleted.
After readindg all this I may just take it back for a new one, but I'm still wary of it. Touch screen is the biggest thing for me and it has to function since I'm a huge texter, so we'll see what happens. Verizon might also just try to tell me to reset it and do just that again without giving me a refurb.

I went through a similar experience - the store near me was also unhelpful (eventually). The first phone FC'd often enough that I replaced it nearly immediately. The second phone also exhibited the same problems, brand new.. I took it back again, and they noted that I had already had it replaced once and began to think it might be user error instead. I insisted that no, my phone's *phone* function should not be crashing, and the phone should not be randomly rebooting. They shrugged me off, and had me call VZW support, blah blah... I lucked out in that a few minutes after a clean wipe, the phone hard rebooted again while in the hands of a VZW employee as he was on the phone.

I got my second brand new replacement, and that phone has been otherwise absolutely perfect for the last 7 months or so of general rooting adventures and shenanigans.

Basically - it's a small computer. Especially at stock, it SHOULD work 99.9999% perfectly, and things like the 'phone' app crashing are bad bad bad! Even me with a 'techy' background had a very hard time convincing the store to replace my phone, so I feel your pain there big time.

Upvote 0
After all these posts I am considering going in for a trade in. Don't know if I stated before but had previous trouble with other like new phones so it puts me off.
What I like about iPhone is that its simple and easy to use and the apps are wide ranging. I'm looking for more games like made for iPhone buy haven't found any worth while ones on Android.
Also everytime I would post for help people would either not respond, tell me they're looking for a fix to the same problem, or tell me get / delete the task manager. Just made me so frustrated

As for games, I would highly suggest Gem Miner: Dig Deeper (Gem Miner: Dig Deeper - Android app on AppBrain). You are a miner and you have to mine for minerals. It is very addicting and fun. I spend many hours a week playing this game. It's approximately $2.04. There is a free version that you should check out before spending the money. That you you will know if you actually like it or not.

I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with both your phone and these forums. Most of the people in this community are very helpful.

Again, as for your phone, call Verizon Wireless 1-800-992-0204 and tell them what is happening. They will give you instructions as to what to do. Chances are they will have you take your phone to a Verizon store and then they will replace your phone. As long as they determine that it is problems with the manufacturing of your phone (as compared to user abuse), it will be covered by the one year warranty (I believe it is a one year warranty for materials).

If you have insurance and they won't replace your phone, try submitting a claim. It's $80 for a new phone, but trust me, when you get a MotoDroid that works properly, you will never want a different phone (at least I don't).

Kratos

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Not very helpful. If his phone is malfunctioning in the ways he's describing he does have reason to be upset with it.

I'm beginning to think he's a Apple troll. He compares it several times to Apple products, claims he really wanted a iphone, hates the UI even though it looks, oddly, like a iPhone, the screen rez is crap, etc etc and on top of it all he doesn't want, or even attempt, to get his Droid fixed. Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thats one of my problems...I've raised hell with verizon so many times and they don't help. They tried a reset of my system....everything was the same but I had to go back and redownload my apps since they all deleted.
After readindg all this I may just take it back for a new one, but I'm still wary of it. Touch screen is the biggest thing for me and it has to function since I'm a huge texter, so we'll see what happens. Verizon might also just try to tell me to reset it and do just that again without giving me a refurb.

If they do that your not bitching enough.:D Show them ALL the problems you claim to be having. Then Bitch some more. Hell tell them you want a different model or a NEW not refurb Droid. If the sales person refuses ask for a manager.

Upvote 0
Kyleonfire,

Next run through, I would install each app one-by-one and see how the phone reacts. It is very, very possible that there is a combination of apps and/or settings that is causing your phone to crash.

I would add STOP killing task. You may be killing system task that are needed. Killing task will also make your phone reload them and make you phone look slow. There are some very good threads on why you shouldn't use a task killer I would go read them.

Upvote 0
I'm beginning to think he's a Apple troll. He compares it several times to Apple products, claims he really wanted a iphone, hates the UI even though it looks, oddly, like a iPhone, the screen rez is crap, etc etc and on top of it all he doesn't want, or even attempt, to get his Droid fixed. Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

I think he has simply gotten a defective Droid and is having a hard time with the Verizon Wireless Stores. I know from experience that the people in the stores can be jerks sometimes. They take your phone, look at it, punch a few buttons, give it back and say "It's working just fine for me". This unfortunately is basically that employees way of saying "I don't want to be here and you are just interrupting me from thinking about what I'm gonna do tonight. So, just leave me alone and tell someone else about your problems".

I say this because I had a Verizon employee do that exact same thing to me when I took my phone to them because I stopped getting notifications about new voice mails. After spending a total of 5 minutes looking at my phone, he said "It's working fine for me" and gave it back to me. He then proceeded to continue his conversation with his coworker about the alcoholic party they were hosting that night. I looked at him and said "am I interrupting your planning time for your party tonight?" He looked at me like I was the one being a jerk. I ended up hunting down his boss and told him what had just happened. Next think I know, I have a different tech person looking at my phone and sure enough, my voice mail wasn't set up properly in their system to allow the use of Visual Voicemail.

The whole point of my story here is to say that yes, Verizon store employees are sometimes jerks who are more interested in what they are doing that night or weekend than they are in helping the person standing in front of them.

Unfortunately kyleonfire seems to have been treated basically this same way. Also, very unfortunately, he was not getting help from this community. Instead he was being flamed for have a task killer. I know that there are some people in this community who are all about flaming and starting crap, but the majority of this community are people who want to help. He just hadn't run into any of them yet.

I have bought many products that I have compared to the competition because that was what I was used to. I was used to having an LG Voyager and never having FC's or anything like that. When I first bought my MotoDroid, I was comparing some of the software (and even the hardware keyboard and battery) to my LG Voyager. After playing with my Droid (which was functional, unlike kyleonfire), I came to realize that it was not even comparable to my old LG Voyager. I'm sure that that is where kyleonfire is at right now. He hasn't had much of a chance to realize that the Droid and Android OS are not really comparable to the iPhone. Yea they are both tough screens, but the Android system is so much more robust and customizable that you just cannot compare the two properly.

I hope kyleonfire can see that there are people in this thread right here trying to help him. I also hope that he takes our advice because without a properly working Droid, he will never be able to get the full Android experience.

If kyleonfire were an iPhone fanboy troll, I don't think he would have almost 80 posts. Most of those fanboys either post once and never return (let alone continue posting in the thread they started), or are banned after the first few posts because they are just trying to cause trouble. Nothing kyleonfire has said or done makes me think he is an iPhone fanboy troll.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Trust me I'm not Apple fanboy. I have an iPod touch and love it so thats basically what I'm comparing to. That and the fact that the best touch screen user experience I have had is on my iTouch and other friends iPhones. Kinda hard to NOT compare when my droid has so many problems you know?
I'm taking the leap of faith tomorrow and taking my phone into Verizon because, what do you know in the midst of this post my power button busts. I sent a text, turned the screen off, came back a few minutes later and the button was stuck and still is. Takes a lot of pressure to get it to move. Finally got to a breaking point so its going in tomorrow.
My experience with verizon has been reset the phone or its settings. When I went in last time for my text deleting problem, the woman I got didn't speak good English(heavy East European accent) and tried to tell me all my settings were wrong and it was my fault for it all and the phone isn't designed to have that many messages blah blah. Makes me not wanna go back. But I guess I'll try to be more assertive with them this time.

As for games, I would highly suggest Gem Miner: Dig Deeper (Gem Miner: Dig Deeper - Android app on AppBrain). You are a miner and you have to mine for minerals. It is very addicting and fun. I spend many hours a week playing this game. It's approximately $2.04. There is a free version that you should check out before spending the money

I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with both your phone and these

I'm also very wary of paying for apps on android. I feel secure on the iTunes store, whereas on the android market its all developers just putting whatever out there. I hesitate to spend money on something that could possibly create credit card fraud or end up being junky and poorly developed. My moms had enough card fraud with paypal and whatever so just makes me worry about the android store

Upvote 0
Trust me I'm not Apple fanboy. I have an iPod touch and love it so thats basically what I'm comparing to. That and the fact that the best touch screen user experience I have had is on my iTouch and other friends iPhones. Kinda hard to NOT compare when my droid has so many problems you know?
I'm taking the leap of faith tomorrow and taking my phone into Verizon because, what do you know in the midst of this post my power button busts. I sent a text, turned the screen off, came back a few minutes later and the button was stuck and still is. Takes a lot of pressure to get it to move. Finally got to a breaking point so its going in tomorrow.
My experience with verizon has been reset the phone or its settings. When I went in last time for my text deleting problem, the woman I got didn't speak good English(heavy East European accent) and tried to tell me all my settings were wrong and it was my fault for it all and the phone isn't designed to have that many messages blah blah. Makes me not wanna go back. But I guess I'll try to be more assertive with them this time.

I'm also very wary of paying for apps on android. I feel secure on the iTunes store, whereas on the android market its all developers just putting whatever out there. I hesitate to spend money on something that could possibly create credit card fraud or end up being junky and poorly developed. My moms had enough card fraud with paypal and whatever so just makes me worry about the android store

1. You seem to have very little faith in Android developers. Generally if an app is trash that will be reflected by the user ratings and comments.
2. If you pay for an app and don't like it you can uninstall it within 24 hours and get your money back.

The free market generally makes the cream float to the top. All the 4 and 5 star rated apps are quality products, you can be sure.

Upvote 0
I still worry about fraud because I see some pretty sketchy looking apps. It also turns me off that some of it is in different currencies.

This sounds like a personal problem. The billing goes straight through Google's system. It's not like they can just charge whatever they want to you. You will get a refund within 24 hours if you don't want the app no matter what. Tons of apps are free as well. Most paid apps have free trial versions

The fact that you for some reason either can't be bothered to look up the exchange rate or have some sort of irrational fear of people outside the US is not something anyone can help you with.

Upvote 0

I'm also very wary of paying for apps on android. I feel secure on the iTunes store, whereas on the android market its all developers just putting whatever out there. I hesitate to spend money on something that could possibly create credit card fraud or end up junky and poorly developed. My moms had enough card fraud with paypal and whatever so just makes me worry about the android store

I can assure you that the dev of Gem Miners is not sketchy. Besides I do believe that all transactions stay in the google checkout system. I do not believe that the devs ever see your card information. But none the less, I have four or five paid apps (all of which are 4 or 5 stars). Not once have I had a problem with credit card fraud. Also, I use google checkout for many other purchases and even with those I have never had a problem with any kind of credit card fraud or identity theft. Again, I'm quite sure that your card and billing info all stays with google and the devs only get what is absolutely needed in order to keep a record of your purchase for support and tax reasons.

I do hope that you are able to break this negative opinion that you have of google, android, motorola droid, apps, and devs. I'm really sorry that you have had such a negative and bad experience thus far. I promise that if you open up and give it time you will see that android, droid, google, apps, and devs are all wonderful.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Yeah. None of use can make you to try and give the phone another shot. I Have had no problems with my droid, and I have had it since they day it came out. I love it. I had a samsung delve before the droid. could not begin to discribe how much better the droid is compared to my previouse phone. but to each there own. If you dont like it, get something you will like. Its a preference.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I never originally had these problems. They all kinda just started happening. Physical issues from over time and the OS after 2.1. It seems after 2.1 everything kinda tanked for me. Thats why I'm hoping 2.2 will address some of these issues and I'll be able to enjoy my phone without frustrations again.

Also...someone mentioned something about LauncherPro? Do I need to root for that?

This needs to be emphasized a bit more with Android: A side effect of an open system and so much unrestricted development is that many apps don't adhere to platform development best practices and can actually bog your phone down or cause it to behave in unpredictable ways. Much of what you describe could be caused by some apps that don't function the way they should.

The first thing I would do (and this applies for iPhones in similar situations too) is to reset the phone back to factory settings and use it for at least the next 3 days, then compare your experience with it to before you reset it. If you see a dramatic difference, then you know what the general cause of your problems were.

Once you do that you will find it easier to diagnose what problems you are having that are cause by hardware and those that are caused by software. Obviously the loose keyboard is a hardware problem, but the on screen keyboard problems could very well be software.

I would only suggest this to you because you say that ATT doesn't work at your home, so wanting an iPhone just isn't a good idea anyway. However, there are other Android phones than the Droid. The Incredible is closer to an iPhone experience than the Moto Droid, and of course there is the Eris as well, and all the Blackberries if you are interested in a non-Android smart phone.

Upvote 0
This needs to be emphasized a bit more with Android: A side effect of an open system and so much unrestricted development is that many apps don't adhere to platform development best practices and can actually bog your phone down or cause it to behave in unpredictable ways. Much of what you describe could be caused by some apps that don't function the way they should.

The first thing I would do (and this applies for iPhones in similar situations too) is to reset the phone back to factory settings and use it for at least the next 3 days, then compare your experience with it to before you reset it. If you see a dramatic difference, then you know what the general cause of your problems were.

Once you do that you will find it easier to diagnose what problems you are having that are cause by hardware and those that are caused by software. Obviously the loose keyboard is a hardware problem, but the on screen keyboard problems could very well be software.

I would only suggest this to you because you say that ATT doesn't work at your home, so wanting an iPhone just isn't a good idea anyway. However, there are other Android phones than the Droid. The Incredible is closer to an iPhone experience than the Moto Droid, and of course there is the Eris as well, and all the Blackberries if you are interested in a non-Android smart phone.

I'd consider trying all that, except now I really do need a replacement since my power button is jammed and stuck.
I'd also get the incredible...if i had the money to do so :/

Upvote 0
I can understand your frustration - but if I opened a box and the power button wee farked on a phone I'd be right back at the store getting another one right then and there.

If it was closed I'd be there the next day.

However, complaining about it on a forum obviously ain't gonna get it fixed.

Don't know if you read my previous post but this JUST happened. I was using the phone yesterday, locked the screen, came back a few minutes later, picked it up and the button was jammed, and is still stuck. Had the phone since January

Upvote 0
Omg. I read the OP. figured ok he's having some issues that can probably be worked out if he wanted to work them out. Then I started reading how he doesn't trust the android market but trusts and feels safe on itunes. Then something about his moms credit card.
buddy android market refunds your payment with the click of a button if you don't want an app. TRY THAT with itunes.
Stop crying on this forum! If you want people to assist you so that you can enjoy your droid to its full potentoal you've come to the right place. If you wanna keep crying like a child please return your phone and go get somethong else.

Upvote 0
Omg. I read the OP. figured ok he's having some issues that can probably be worked out if he wanted to work them out. Then I started reading how he doesn't trust the android market but trusts and feels safe on itunes. Then something about his moms credit card.
buddy android market refunds your payment with the click of a button if you don't want an app. TRY THAT with itunes.
Stop crying on this forum! If you want people to assist you so that you can enjoy your droid to its full potentoal you've come to the right place. If you wanna keep crying like a child please return your phone and go get somethong else.

I'm supposed to just go return it? Is it really that easy? I don't think so. If everyone didn't like their phone and they could just return it whenever life would be easy.
But its not. You're locked into the 2 year contract so you're stuck with the phone for 2 years unless you wanna drop 400-600 on a new phone, which is money I just can't spare all the time.

Upvote 0
I'm supposed to just go return it? Is it really that easy? I don't think so. If everyone didn't like their phone and they could just return it whenever life would be easy.
But its not. You're locked into the 2 year contract so you're stuck with the phone for 2 years unless you wanna drop 400-600 on a new phone, which is money I just can't spare all the time.

Sell it on ebay . I bought mine on ebay. ALso I would like to mention that I love the phone. Its got its quirks. Most of them you can iron out.

If you want to keep your phone then Root it and install Froyo.

Upvote 0
The Moto Droid is a great phone, with an amazing screen, I used one for some time. If you're not going to go into Verizon and try to get a different one, I don't really understand why you're taking the time to even complain here. Android 2.1 is not laggy on that hardware, nor does it crash all the time, your phone is obviously hosed or your exaggerating.

Only negative I have with that phone is the keys on the slide out keyboard, and the d pad, but the Droid 2 obviously fixes that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones