• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reasons to keep Amazon Prime?

With Logitech's Harmony remote, all I do is enter the model of TV in the app and it programs the remote to access the smart features. This remote is on it's third TV and has yet to meat a function it couldn't handle. :)
With the old Comcast/Xfinilty remotes for the boxes with a code tou could program them to with some button presses. I even got my Sony Suround Sound system to work wirh the Comcast remote. If I pressed power on with the Comcast remote the Cablebox, TV and Stereo would all turn on.

I just got X1 cableboxes that don't have a clock and haven't tried linking them though. I still have my Sony remote so why bother?

Upvote 0
This just popped into my head (and I haven't asked Amazon yet): will they close my "Amazon Prime Store Card" when my Prime membership expires? :thinking: :eek:
It will just switch over to (without you having to do anything) a regular Amazon Store Card, and you will not get the 5% back any more.
Oh, that sounds very different from mine then. So yeah, ignore what I said :D
Yea, there is an actual Amazon CC, from Chase, but yea, you all are talking about different things.
It has the 5% cash back thing, but, yeah, I think we have different accounts.

Different cards yes. Amazon Store card *only* good at Amazon, or sites that are 'Amazon Pay' compatible. Clem has the actual Amazon CC, which can be used anywhere Visa/MC is accepted.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
It will just switch over to (without you having to do anything) a regular Amazon Store Card, and you will not get the 5% back any more.

Yea, there is an actual Amazon CC, from Chase, but yea, you all are talking about different things.

Different cards yes. Amazon Store card *only* good at Amazon, or sites that are 'Amazon Pay' compatible. Clem has the actual Amazon CC, which can be used anywhere Visa/MC is accepted.
Thanks, NA. I was trying to think back to how/why I got that particular card, and I remembered. I was in the process of placing an order (Prime, obviously) and a screen came up asking if I wanted the Prime credit card. I read its details (5% cash back, etc.), and thought, why not? So I said yes, and that was that. I hadn't gone LOOKING for Amazon credit cards, I just accepted the one that came up. Since I was a heavy-duty Prime shopper, it all made perfect sense.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
After reading the article linked to in this post by @rootabaga, I kind of feel GOOD about having broken my Amazon shopping 'addiction' and canceling my Prime subscription.

It's a very long article, but well worth the read. It's about "Prime and Punishment. Dirty dealing in the $175 billion Amazon Marketplace."

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I read the article, too and was enlightened, but not that surprised. While the big picture is to improve the shopping experience and customer satisfaction, they seem to do it by being unreasonable or unfair to both their vendors and employees.
When I started this thread I noted how easy and consistent Chewy.com is, compared to the hassle I continually faced buying my regular pet products on Amazon. Now, having read that article and seeing how brutally cutthroat it is between sellers, the whole picture is much clearer.

I always knew that sellers were competing against each other for sales--hence the monthly hassle for me trying to find a specific item at its best price--but I had NO CLUE the lengths they were going to, or why.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones