• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reassure me, really disappointed with N7!

What can you do with the Ipad mini that you cant do with the Nexus 7?
As established already, use the Newstand.....so read newspapers and magazines. I have a print and digital subscription to a few photography magazines and could read them on my iPad, while my partner read the print edition. That is something I miss now I don't have an iPad :(. Here in the UK on Android, there isn't newspaper/magazines like in the US.

Also, for me personally, I've not found an app that even comes close to Noteshelf on iPad. S-Note on the Note 10.1 is very very good however but, Samsung exclusive, so I'm still yet to find a general Android app.

Upvote 0
As an old time developer (I started on an IBM mainframe!) the separation between the operating system and the applications seems obvious to me, and it wouldn't occur to me to criticise an operating system because an app I wanted wasn't available. That's a criticism of the app's developers not the OS. But then when I say "Android" I mean the OS, and maybe most people use it to mean the whole system: OS and apps.

Having said that, it's not unusual for an application to be an important factor in choosing the operating system. Going back to the early days of personal computers many Macs were sold solely because they would run Pagemaker and QuarkXPress (though both apps were eventually ported to Windows). If Newsstand is a must have app then buy an iOS device and no-one should criticise your decision.

Upvote 0
What can you do with the Ipad mini that you cant do with the Nexus 7?

I can't read newspapers, I can't download TV shows via an iTunes equivalent and I can't watch TV shows on 4OD, Sky Go or iPlayer (not major as I know apps for these will be produced in coming weeks/months).

I love Google Now and other great androidy things, but get all the benefits of those on my phone anyway. I want a tablet to consume media with, and whilst it is great as a video player and e-reader, there's no videos to watch or content to read at the moment!

Upvote 0
I use my Nexus 7 for my morning newspapers and magazine reading, I use "Flipboard" which I think is brilliant. I use it on my S3 and the tablet but its works particularly well on the tablet. Of course I am a Guardian reader rather than the Torygraph whoops meant Telegraph.

Upvote 0
I use my Nexus 7 for my morning newspapers and magazine reading, I use "Flipboard" which I think is brilliant. I use it on my S3 and the tablet but its works particularly well on the tablet. Of course I am a Guardian reader rather than the Torygraph whoops meant Telegraph.

The Guardian N7 app is an upscaled and awful-looking version of their phone app. Their app for the S3 is very good, as is the Telegraphs. The Telegraph can

Upvote 0
I'm kind of going through the same feelings with my N7. Initially I had the Lapdock accessory that I could plug my Bionic into and use it like a laptop. That was too bulky and I never brought it with me anywhere. So I got the N7, I thought it would be great to finally have a Nexus device, get Android updates quickly, have a larger screen, etc, but... I'm not using it either. It still seems like I'm either doing things with my phone or with my desktop PC, and the tablet just doesn't have a purpose to fill in my life. But I want to like it. I want to keep it. Especially since I paid $250 for 16gb and won't get nearly that much if I sell it since the prices got knocked down and the 32gb is now $250. So I don't know. I'm keeping it for the time being, but there it sits, no real purpose. The first week I had it I downloaded a bunch of games that were more fun to play on the bigger screen, but when I really feel like playing a game, that's what XBOX is for, so again, no real use for the N7. I want to like it... :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones