Recommend a ROM for me

Last Updated:

1. SamXp

SamXp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my Hero to either an EVO or Epic and want to get an idea of what custom ROMs are available for each.
    I'm looking for a stripped down, clean, barebones install with no Sense UI. CM 6.1 seems like a good choice, but reportedly, 4G doesn't work (I have great 4G coverage in my area).

So clean, Sense-less, with 4G?

Advertisement
  2. dmsatax1x

dmsatax1x Member

SamXp likes this.
  3. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

SamXp likes this.
  4. SamXp

Thanks, guys, I suppose I wouldn't mind a Sense UI ROM if it isn't too bloated (also suppose I can remove Sprint bloatware), but I'll look into vaelpak!

5. exclamation_mark

exclamation_mark Well-Known Member

CyanogenMod-6.1 - This is a true senseless ROM, couple things arent orking as far as I know, 4G, HDMI

VirusROM AirBorne Series - This one is still based off a Sense ROM with all the Sense components removed.

MIUI ROM - This one is completely senseless and a totally different experience in the Android platform. Also has some things not working 4G, HDMI...

All are worth a look. I have tried all of them but kept going back to the before mentioned Myns RLS3. Try them out and see what you like, there are pro's and con's to all of them.

6. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Technically it is an AOSP rom, not a sense-less rom.

A sense-less rom is a ROM with the HTC framework but has sense removed.

7. ExSaint

ExSaint Well-Known Member

Most of the Sense Roms such as Myns warm that was suggested in the second post remove all the bloatware for you. Sense is not all that bad, its just all about how you want your device to look.

8. SamXp

I can't imagine how 4G and HDMI aren't deal-breakers for more users. I mean, if you live in an area where 4G isn't developed, I suppose. But the HDMI feature is too cool to lose, IMO!

9. viper1619

viper1619 New Member

I'm in a 4G area (though dont ever use HDMI) and I still upgraded to cyanogenmod6 ... word on the cyanogenmod forums is that he's working on 4g; apparently a complicated process because HTC's 4G drivers are proprietary.

Great ROM, give it a shot. Also, you can (near-hot-swap) Roms using Rom Manager on a rooted phone.

10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

i never use either .... I play movies over the ps3 on the big screen so really have little need for playing them through my phone on the tv. 4g...bleh ...I could care less until it works consistently.

I say try all the roms. it's the joy of nandroid backups :) if you don't like one switch back