• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recover N7 2012 Wifi without adb? Thumb drive maybe?

oneamp

Lurker
Feb 22, 2012
I know there are a lot of "help I bricked my *****" threads out there, sorry to add another. But, I just need a nudge in the right direction, so thanks for reading this.

I've got a Nexus 7 2012 Wifi version. At some point it became boot looped, but now it just displays the white Google logo endlessly. I can get into Recovery Mode however. The thing I can't do, is get my PC to recognize that it exists. I've attached it to two different Windows PCs. I don't even get a yellow triangle in the Device manager, there's nothing, no sound plays, no indication that I've attached a USB device at all. I've tried installing/uninstalling drivers, changing ports and changing cables, but nothing happens.

But, I've got clockwork mod recovery (version 6.0.4.3) installed and I can get the N7 to see a thumb drive when I attach one using a USB OTG cable. I tried putting a factory image on the thumb drive and I can try to install it, but when I do, Clockwork gives me a "Installing update...." followed instantly by a "Installation aborted." message. I've tried different builds, but nothing works.

I've spent the better part of a day trying to bring it back to life. Ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones