• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recovering deleted contacts/data - pls help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people.

I'm hoping there may be some help out there - I've done something stupid!

Is there any way to recover all my contacts on my phone after deleting them? I 'accidentally' cleared the cache of the contacts storage app in an attempt to clear some space on the phone (and get rid of the annoying low space warning). And before you ask, sadly (and carelessly) I do not have a backup of my contacts (unless they are automatically synced to somewhere, Google perhaps).

Any help would be massively appreciated as I am desperate!

Cheers, James :mad:

P.S. Phone is HTC Desire on Froyo

Check your Google account (on PC) if you have Contacts there. If yes, then it is just a matter of simple sync.

Also, check the root directory of your SD card to see if there is a file something like "00002.vcf". If yes, then you should be able to simply import your contacts from SD card.

Hi thanks for your reply. I checked my Google account but there was nothing in there. I suspect my contacts were synced to Google just after I lost them, according to the time of the last sync. So apparently, the sync process is only one day and is not sympathetic to existing Google contacts online - I can't find any settings for this online.

Fortunately though, I did a Contact Import and found some .vcf files on the SD card. They were dated December 2010 so I've lost my recent contacts, but have managed to get the majority back. Phew!

Thanks for your help, I've been having a mild panic today!

Upvote 0
Check your Google account (on PC) if you have Contacts there. If yes, then it is just a matter of simple sync.

Also, check the root directory of your SD card to see if there is a file something like "00002.vcf". If yes, then you should be able to simply import your contacts from SD card.

Sir,

How can i access root directory on SD card ? Help me.. im facing the same problem here.. help!!!!

Upvote 0
Yes, you have great possibility to recover the files you mistakenly deleted from internal memory. Those files are still in the memory just not visible, and files are waiting to be written over by new data.
Then the best way to recover your deleted files off internal memory is to use some data recovery programs. Recommended one is HTC Data Recovery.
HTC Data Recovery just said that it recovers lost photos and videos, can it also recover contacts?

Upvote 0
This is an ancient thread. So before anyone resurrects it again to promote any more software, let me just say:

* store contacts as Google contacts and enable contact syncing, and you're safe.
* otherwise, just "export" from the contacts app and copy the .vcf file it creates somewhere safe. That can then be loaded onto any phone or any contact management app.

Experience of members in this forum is that apps that claim to be able to recover app data (such as contacts) are generally ineffective, so you should always have a backup strategy rather than hope that nothing will go wrong or that there will be some miracle solution if it does. This also applies to photographs and videos (the commonest request to retrieve deleted data).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones