• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recurring "Searching for GPS" or "Looking for GPS Location" issue

dslartoo

Lurker
Apr 22, 2013
I have owned my RAZR MAXX HD since January. For the most part I'm quite happy with it (4G speeds are awesome, and it syncs my frequent emails immediately, which my old HTC Droid Incredible refused to do unless I synced it manually) but there is one quirk which keeps reappearing that is driving me UP. THE. WALL, and that is the incredibly frustrating "Searching for GPS" message that frequently comes up.

In the past when I had this problem, I read on various sites that a useful fix for this was to go to the GPS/Location Access settings, and under Location Sources, uncheck "Verizon Location Services" and "Google Wi-Fi & mobile network location", leaving only "GPS Satellites" checked. I did that and the GPS started behaving itself again, but in the past couple of weeks it has stopped working. It's now to the point where I can't use the Navigator function at all, or use MapMyRun to record my daily runs. "Searching for GPS" appears and then it just sits there.

I've tried the following:

1. Clearing cache and data from the Maps application.

2. Rebooting the phone.

3. Re-checking the "Google Wi-Fi" and "Verizon Location Services" in GPS settings.

4. Downloading and installing the "GPS Status and Tools" app from the Play Store.

5. Using the aforementioned app to download A-GPS assistance data.

6. Using the aforementioned app to reset / clear all cached GPS data.

7. Re-downloading A-GPS assistance data again (in fact I set the app to download the data automatically on launch).

As it stands right now the phone won't lock onto GPS satellites AT ALL. When I launch the GPS Status app, it displays "Looking for GPS location" and then just cycles, and cycles, and cycles. It won't fix onto a single of the 24 satellites that are shown in the app, even if I go outside my home and stand in the open under today's utterly cloudless sky.

For fun, I rebooted the phone, started the GPS Status app, and went and sat in the middle of my driveway, reading a book. 15 minutes later it was still displaying "Looking for GPS location" and had not gotten a single fix.

I am about to tear out my hair on this one. I could try a factory data reset but I'm terribly afraid that if I do it STILL won't resolve the issue and then there'll be nothing left but to smash the phone. :) I only see stories here about how happy people are with the speed of their GPS on this phone, so I have to wonder if I just have a bad unit or something.

Any other suggestions you folks can pass on to me?

[Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm on Verizon Wireless if that makes any difference.]

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Phil

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones