• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Regard buying

tecra or Satellite is best for programming at home?
Well either will likely run your programming environment just as well. If you're buying from a consumer retail store, I guess you're more likely to find the home orientated Satellite range. Could be the Tecra range has things like a better quality keyboard, intended for heavy business use. Which might be better for banging out code. :D Tecra laptops have usually been more expensive than Satellites.

Does the laptop even have to be a Toshiba?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wise11
Upvote 0
What I'd look for is a machine with enough RAM (or potential RAM expansion) to be able to run a virtual machine or two for testing multiple environments as well as my development platform. I'd also look for one with support for multiple monitors to throw code on one and display the running code on the other. Maybe something with a dock for additional expansion.

Do you have a price range? That would be the best indicator of what's out there that you can afford.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I agree with the multiple monitor setup. Very handy for running IDE and emulator or web browser simultaneously.
My machine is a HP ProBook 450 with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD. I run Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, which supported multiple monitors on this system straight out of the box.
Works very well for me.

IMG_20160714_154823.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones