• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote android control??? What about in a car (a.k.a Terminal Mode)

I can't believe this hasn't been done already based on what I have been able to find but is there a way to simply hook up a touch screen to an android phone and use it as a remote screen. The idea being that you could tether the phone to a touchscreen in your car for example and be able to remotely control it. I've seen people able to use the tv out functionality to get the screen on their car stereos but you still have to control all the functions with the phone. If there isn't a way to get the touch functionality working then what about an external device such as a mouse or trackball? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Has 'this already been done and I just can;t find it? The closest thing i could find is the "terminal mode" Clarion and Nokia are working on which from my understanding is severely hindered by government regulations on driver distraction. This doesn't;t seem that complicated.

Okay so maybe relaying touch information to the phone would be a bit tricky. In that case here are a few more questions:

1. Are there any ways to hook up an external control device via either bluetooth or USB to the droid such as a track ball or mouse that would allow point and click control?

2. Is it at all possible to gain TV-out functionality through bluetooth rather than a tether?

Upvote 0
1. Why would you want to plug a mouse into your phone? Would you not get more precision simply by touching it? And a lot of higher end phones come up with a trackpad anyway.

2. Transmitting video wirelessly over BT? You better have some kickass compression going on. BT just isn't designed to transmit a lot of data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones