• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remote Monitor a Solar PV Array

I have a solar PV array which I want to monitor. The only problem is its a four hour drive from home.

So my funky idea is to use a phone stuck on the front of the inverter with velcro to take a picture once a day and email it to me. That way I can see if there is a problem and get someone to fix it. I had some success with Tasker - I got ity to periodically take a photo. But the photo is bigger than it needs to be and to keep costs down i want to compress it to jpeg quality 1.

So I did a crash course in Android programming and I now have an App that has a button on it - click the button, it takes a photo, compresses it, turns it to black and white, and stores it in the Pictures folder with a standard name.

From Tasker I can load the App, that works, but I can not see a way to simulate the click of that button. I also tried without success to use Send Intent
Action:android.intent.action.MAIN
Package:com.solar.satisfaction/.MainActivity
I can change the code to my hearts content if that helps. Or someone can point me at a better way.

I suspect I need to use the "data" field in Load App but I dont know a way forwards on that one. Ideally Id like to be able to "pass parameters" like the amount of compression required , whether to do black and white and so on.

Its a pity Android doesnt have a concept similar to a command line EXE that does a particular job and thats all.

My profile if I get it working would I think be useful for other things like monitoring a garden or a flower opening or even site security.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones