• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remove certain apps from Android 12

If you have a carrier locked phone you can expect a great deal of their added bloatware to your device. It varies from carriers so you aren't like to find a list of safe to remove or disable. If you run your phone for a while you can access your apps and they should indicate when they were last accessed. That is a good clue as to how important the app is to your normal use. I suggest force stopping the apps vs removing them. Storage is cheap and if you stop something from running and find things get sideways it is easy to allow the app's activity again.

Upvote 0
RE: Olbriar

Yup, some helpful info there. OK, the phone is not carrier locked. Yet, seems to possess quite a number of 'expendable" apps. One especially, that has caused problems already. OK, I'll keep checking around. I'm sure there are a number I can disable/uninstall.

Thing is what's "expendable" for you maybe essential for someone else. e.g. certain financial apps, messaging apps, etc. Of course I don't know what apps you have on your device, but I suggest you go though and decide, do I need and use those particular apps or not? And if you think you don't use them, either uninstall or disable them.

Upvote 0
I apologize for omitting the specs. Ulefone Note 14--Android 12. Yes, I can see where that info is needed. An update: I finally reverted to a factory reset. That opened the phone and I was able to navigate the apps/services once again. True, had to re-establish the phone set up and what ever apps/info I had on it. But why should I have had to do so...this was a brand new phone with less than a full days use. Now, this morning...had the FM radio on(built in app) and it kept shutting off after 5-6 secs. Finally went into "settings" and turned off a few apps finding that as soon as I force stopped the google app, the radio performed perfectly. Guess what I'm saying is that there must be a glitch in the O.S? Well, just my thoughts. I'll see what the manufacturer has to say(he says with eyes rolling). However, in the interim, I'd like to hear what others have to say about this situation. Thanks to all who respond

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thing is what's "expendable" for you maybe essential for someone else. e.g. certain financial apps, messaging apps, etc. Of course I don't know what apps you have on your device, but I suggest you go though and decide, do I need and use those particular apps or not? And if you think you don't use them, either uninstall or disable them.
Thanks for your response. I am aware that there are publications depicting what "apps" can be turned off/uninstalled(if possible). All I'm seeking is that list. I understand it is my at digression.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I've never seen a comprehensive list of apps and manufacturer-installed bloatware. The problem is that even if there were a generally agreed list of what actually is "bloatware" it would be hell to maintain the list: every manufacturer adds their own set of apps to a phone, this will change with major updates, may change with minor updates, and in addition carriers add their own crap. It isn't even necessarily the same for phones from the same manufacturer running the same version of Android. So keeping track of it and maintaining a list would be a major job.

But there's an important thing to know: not all system apps can even be disabled. The idea is that they are supposed to stop you disabling things that would have really serious consequences (e.g. crash the phone and leave you unable to log back in), though many manufacturers abuse this to stop you disabling their apps or even bloatware they've been paid to install (as Samsung did with some ordinary commercial third-party apps, in no way essential to Android, that they installed on my old tablet). But the point is not that manufacturers abuse this protection, but that it should not let you disable anything that would really break the system, which means that if you can disable it then it won't cause any permanent harm. Of course you may lose some functionality, but if you don't use that then it doesn't matter, and if you do you can re-enable it.

So basically, once you know what something does, and know it's not something you care about, then feel free to disable it. One caveat though: don't disable Google Play Services unless you are really sure, because there are a surprising number of things that depend on that and it's not just going to break Google apps but also a number of third party apps that use things it provides.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones