• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove custom bootloader

fryc86

Aug 27, 2010
So, some time back I used an application called Boot Animation Changer to put a custom boot splash screen on my phone. It worked perfectly but too perfectly, meaning I cannot remove the custom screen at all. I was thinking about taking my phone in for repair (camera not working, other programs force close constantly) and I did the S-ON tool and got that right. I also decided to completely reset to factory settings and reformat/wipe my sd card. All of that was successful, so I thought. But every time I start up my phone the custom boot animation loads instead of the stock evo one. Now I don't mind personally, because I like it. But the Boot Animation Changer program needed my phone to be root to work, and I'm sure once I take it in for repair and they have to reboot the phone for any reason they will see this custom screen and will refuse to work on the phone, knowing it had been rooted at one point.

I don't suppose there is any way to get it off? thanks

You need to follow the instructions in the rooting for dummies guide for unrooting. Flashing the S-ON tool is only part of the process. Likely, you still have a custom recovery image, as well. Just wiping data clears out the partition where your apps are stored. If you have a custom ROM, that won't have changed either. What is your hboot version?

Upvote 0
I've gotten as far as moving the pc3img file to the phone and when I reboot into the white screen it scans for file pc36img and doesn't find the file. So I'm not sure how I can apply it...

1) Are you sure the file is named PC36IMG.zip, exactly?
2) Are you sure you didn't unzip the file?
3) Did you put it on the root of the card (top level, not under any folders)?
4) Are you using the stock sdcard or a different one?

Reactions: fryc86
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones