• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Remove tasker - Tasker

ynotamil

Apr 1, 2013
I am not using tasker anymore and I can't remove it. If I try to do it, Android tells me me that Tasker is an Administrator .
As such I go to SETTINGS, DEVICE ADMINISTRATOR, DEVICE ADMINISTRATION and there I see that TASKER is tricked.
I cannot remove the thick.
If I long press or keep tapping TASKER in DEVICES ADMINTRATION this message displays:
Unfortunately Settings has Stopped.
Anyone knows how to get around this problem?
Anyone with a way to disable Tracker under the conditions above described?

Thanks
Tony

Reactions: RickJohn57
UNFORGIVEN,
Thanks for the reply.
I go to SETTINGS, SECURITY,
DEVICE ADMINISTRATION, then I click on
DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS.
Next I get a screen with 6 Apps.
The 1st one is TASKER with a tick-box ticked with a green tick.
I touch the green tick, the screen freezes for 3 or 4 seconds & I get the message UNFORTUNATELY, Settings has stopped.
This happens in SAFE MODE as well.
How can an App crash a system utility (SETTINGS)?
Any other ideas?
Appreciate your input.

Tony

Upvote 0
UNFORGIVEN,
Thanks for the reply.
I go to SETTINGS, SECURITY,
DEVICE ADMINISTRATION, then I click on
DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS.
Next I get a screen with 6 Apps.
The 1st one is TASKER with a tick-box ticked with a green tick.
I touch the green tick, the screen freezes for 3 or 4 seconds & I get the message UNFORTUNATELY, Settings has stopped.
This happens in SAFE MODE as well.
How can an App crash a system utility (SETTINGS)?
Any other ideas?
Appreciate your input.

Tony
I know @Thom uses tasker far more than I do, so I would give his instructions a try. Also you mentioned having 6 apps listed in Device Administrators. Can you list those out in case there is a known conflict or problem maker that may be unrelated to Tasker.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0
Since I don't know where you are starting from ...
Power off/power on.
Go to the app drawer.

Drag the Tasker icon to Uninstall.
When dialog appears click OK
When dialog appears click on Manage Device Administrators.
Uncheck Tasker.
When dialog appears click Deactivate.
Power off/power on.
Go to the app drawer.

Drag the Tasker icon to Uninstall.
When dialog appears click OK(it doesn't give the Administration dialog).
(The reboot is needed to totally remove it.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THOM,
Did all that before.
What happens is that I do not get the UNINSTALL button. I get the same options of I try that with CAMERA, or INTERNET, some system apps that you
can't uninstall nor DISABLE.
The options that I get are:
CREATE FOLDER, APP INFO and CANCEL.
If I do that to GOOGLE, GMAIL & others, I get a 4th option that is DISABLE; this 4th option is not available for TASKER.
My cell phone is Samsung S5
model number = SM-G900F,
with Android 6.0.1
As I mentioned before TASKER is version 4.9u 4

Regards,

Tony

Upvote 0
UNFORGIVEN,
those are the apps listed in my DEVICE ADMINISTRATORS:
Tasker,
Android Device Manager,
AVG Anti Virus,
Llama,
Macro Droid Dev. Manager.
If I set any one of them or all, I can reset the status of each of all of them any time without problems.
The only exception is with TASKER. As I said before, if I press /long press on TASKER the message: Unfortunately, Settings has stopped, as I described on my original post.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I communicated with Tasker's author ...
  • There is a problem with Settings on your phone.
  • It is assumed that someone disabled the permission to Draw over other apps on your phone and that is inducing the failure.
  • It might take a little searching to find this permission.
The following works for me on Droid Turbo running 6.0.1 ...
  • Go to Settings/Apps and select the Cog in the upper right
  • In Advanced select Draw over other apps
  • Scroll down to Tasker
  • Enable the permission
  • Power off/power on
  • Uninstall Tasker
... Thom

Upvote 0
Hello Thom,
No, that doesn't work.
I searched the net & the problem is definitely with SETTINGS; not with TASKER & it is an old problem that Android still carries from previous releases. I think it was reported on release 3 for the first time;
still not fixed. I tried some fixes / suggestions that I found, but none worked so far.
Looks to me that the only solution is to flash/reset the phone.
Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Yes it is apparently a system problem and not a Tasker problem. Apparently Draw over other apps is not enabled for the app you are trying to uninstall (Tasker).

So when you followed the steps you found that Tasker already had Draw over other apps already enabled?

(I want to get your report back to the Tasker author who recommended this correction.)

... Thom

Last edited:
Reactions: RickJohn57
Upvote 0
Thank you Thom.
That advice to ENABLE the app to display "On Top" allowed me to disable Tasker's ability to Administer Device.
THEN I was able to uninstall Tasker.

My phone is infested with malware that randomly interrupts everything to bring up a Chrome ad window and Tasker was suspect when I couldn't uninstall it (like a sick malware would want).
But alas, Tasker is okay since the malware keeps popping up windows once in a while. (very bad when driving and navigating w/map).

Upvote 0
Hello Thom,
No, that doesn't work.
I searched the net & the problem is definitely with SETTINGS; not with TASKER & it is an old problem that Android still carries from previous releases. I think it was reported on release 3 for the first time;
still not fixed. I tried some fixes / suggestions that I found, but none worked so far.
Looks to me that the only solution is to flash/reset the phone.
Thanks for the help.

I know I'm popping in late..

I had a similar issue with Tasker once, wherein I was doing some testing which involved forwarding text messages. I chose my daughter as the test forward. After finishing with playtime, I deleted the profile, but the task remained, and each text I received was going to my daughter as well. I had to recreate the profile, EXACTLY as it had been, and then delete the task and profile. Try that angle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones