• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

removing spyware..

If you are concerned about spyware, doing a FULL factory reset would be what I recommend. It will make your phone like you just took it out of the box and you'll have to set EVERYTHING up from scratch.

Resetting the OS can be anything from powering the phone off/on to doing a battery pull to....

Upvote 0
sorry i posted a question here...I was a bit confused :)

Is a full factory reset something i can do myself or do i need to take it to the store to do that?

You can do it yourself. It's in the settings, should be under Memory and SD card, if you scroll at the bottom.

It's going to remove all your settings and applications, but the data you saved will still be there, such as pictures, videos and music.

So if you really have some spyware, it'll be gone. I've never seen any spyware on Android though. It exists, but it's uncommon.

Good luck with your issue!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android Forums!

hey i was just reading how to resent you phone if you think spy wre is on it so all you have to do it wipe it out factory reset and thats it I don't have to take it in the store

Yes a factory reset will wipe everything off the phone and start fresh as if you had just picked up the phone at the store. You'll need to set up the phone with the carrier and enter your GMail info into it just as you did when the phone was first purchased.

If there's anything you want to save on the phone be sure to archive it onto your computer before resetting. I believe the factory wipe can potentially re-format any micro SD cards that might be installed in the phone.

Upvote 0
i downloaded an app { task kill and spyware detection} shows me any and all running programs and if they start up.... now i have alot of programs i have no idea what they are or if they came on my phone or someone put spywaqre on it

iv defaulted several times...
my phone worked fine for months then all the sudden started acting crazy or beeping while talking and syncing for no reason

Upvote 0
i downloaded an app { task kill and spyware detection} shows me any and all running programs and if they start up.... now i have alot of programs i have no idea what they are or if they came on my phone or someone put spywaqre on it

iv defaulted several times...
my phone worked fine for months then all the sudden started acting crazy or beeping while talking and syncing for no reason

If you recently did a factory reset on your phone re-add your phones apps slowly (over the course of weeks rather than minutes) to try to determine if an app may be poorly written and causing you grief.

Upvote 0
I think you might be paranoid. No way to know if it is on there or to get proof. Just restore the phone.

Actually...usually in Android OS,if you go to apps under settings it should show all apps that are installed. You can force stop them and uninstall them from there. If its spyware to track calls and texts it should show up. Just uninstall the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones