removing spyware..

1. cdk

cdk New Member

Hi there. I think I may have mobile cell spyware downloaded on my droid and I wondered if I can remove it myself by the factory data reset or if I need to take it back to the store to have the operating system reset?

Thank you!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

What makes you think you have spyware on the phone???

A factory reset should take care of it... just make sure you have all your contacts set up as "Google Contacts" so it's easier to put them back on the phone.

Welcome aboard BTW :)
  3. cdk

cdk New Member

Hi and thanks. My phone was left with someone, and since then there have been some 'strange' things that make me think so. Is a factory reset the same thing as resetting the operating system?

THanks
  4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

If you are concerned about spyware, doing a FULL factory reset would be what I recommend. It will make your phone like you just took it out of the box and you'll have to set EVERYTHING up from scratch.

Resetting the OS can be anything from powering the phone off/on to doing a battery pull to....
  5. cdk

cdk New Member

sorry i posted a question here...I was a bit confused :)

Is a full factory reset something i can do myself or do i need to take it to the store to do that?
  6. DaSchmarotzer

DaSchmarotzer Blame it on me VIP Member

You can do it yourself. It's in the settings, should be under Memory and SD card, if you scroll at the bottom.

It's going to remove all your settings and applications, but the data you saved will still be there, such as pictures, videos and music.

So if you really have some spyware, it'll be gone. I've never seen any spyware on Android though. It exists, but it's uncommon.

Good luck with your issue!
  7. teamchick12

teamchick12 New Member

there is definately spyware. I need to remove it from my phone but don't want to lose all of my application data / phone numbers. This is going to be a pain, but I'm afraid the only thing I can do is factory reset.:mad::(
  8. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome! Glad you signed up!! :D
  9. bojinoff

bojinoff New Member

hey i was just reading how to resent you phone if you think spy wre is on it so all you have to do it wipe it out factory reset and thats it I don't have to take it in the store
  10. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Yes a factory reset will wipe everything off the phone and start fresh as if you had just picked up the phone at the store. You'll need to set up the phone with the carrier and enter your GMail info into it just as you did when the phone was first purchased.

If there's anything you want to save on the phone be sure to archive it onto your computer before resetting. I believe the factory wipe can potentially re-format any micro SD cards that might be installed in the phone.
  11. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Welcome to Android Forums, the greatest place on the webernet!!
  12. i downloaded an app { task kill and spyware detection} shows me any and all running programs and if they start up.... now i have alot of programs i have no idea what they are or if they came on my phone or someone put spywaqre on it

iv defaulted several times...
    my phone worked fine for months then all the sudden started acting crazy or beeping while talking and syncing for no reason
  13. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

If you recently did a factory reset on your phone re-add your phones apps slowly (over the course of weeks rather than minutes) to try to determine if an app may be poorly written and causing you grief.
  14. lacy67

lacy67 New Member

Hi.. thanks for the info... I was wondering how to first identify the spyware so I have proof that it was downloaded on my phone before I reset it... thanks
  15. andriod buzz

andriod buzz New Member

I think you might be paranoid. No way to know if it is on there or to get proof. Just restore the phone.
  16. Ginsbiz

Ginsbiz New Member

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean no one's out to get you..My sister's phone also had spyware on it,so you're not alone OR crazy,teamchick12 and lacy67. I hope you got your phones fixed.
  17. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

Hi there. Welcome to the phandroid community.
  18. PS4AndroidHacker

PS4AndroidHacker Well-Known Member

Actually...usually in Android OS,if you go to apps under settings it should show all apps that are installed. You can force stop them and uninstall them from there. If its spyware to track calls and texts it should show up. Just uninstall the app.