• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Removing stock (system) apps guide

This guide will tell you how to remove system apps.

NOTE: System apps should be removed with caution. The wrong app, or service removed and it could cause chaos.

1. Before you remove any apps, always have a good nandroid back up. If you aren't sure how to do that, go here
http://androidforums.com/continuum-...droid-backup-using-cwm-guide.html#post3586653
2. Instead of just deleting the 'unwanted' apps, I would suggest moving them to the SD card until you are sure they don't have any ill effects. This will have the same effect as uninstalling them, since (unlike user apps) once they are out of the system directory, the phone can't read them.

To begin.
You need a file explorer. I use root explorer. But, ES is as good for this, in my mind, and free.
If you are using ES, you need to change the default directory to '/' instead of '/sdcard'.
To do this, open the app, go to settings and scroll down to home directory and change it. Then, scroll a little further, and select to mount the system as rw.

OK, Now that you are in the actual root of the phone, go to /system/app and find the application you want to remove. long press it, an select move. Then navigate to your /sd card directory and move it there. Or, if you are feeling gutsy, simply delete it.

After you are done, especially if you remove a number of apps at once, I'd recommend clearing your dalvik cache.

To do this (remember the softkeys won't be lit up in recovery)
1. reboot into recovery (vol up/down and power at the same time)
2. select sdcard:apply update.zip using volume rocker and menu button
3. (now in CWM) scroll down to 'advanced' using volume and power button
4. scroll down to 'wipe dalvik cache' using vol/power, then click wipe dalvik from among the 'no's and select. it'll take a few seconds to wipe.
5. hit the back button to get back to main cwm menu.
6. select 'reboot system now'
It should take about 5 minutes to boot.

Done. If, for some reason, you deleted an app that causes a boot loop, simply pull the battery, reboot into recovery and restore the nandroid you made.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones