• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Rendering Problems: Failed to load platform rendering library

ds_rcs

Lurker
Sep 6, 2016
Hey guys I'm pretty desperate here.. I tried asking this on SO but can't get anyone to help...

So when I try to view any of the xml's such as activity_main.xml, in the Design tab or the Text tab where it's supposed to render.. i get this message

"Rendering Problems
Failed to load platform rendering library"

Everything I google says to drop API levels to match the minimum level (by clicking the green Android button with the number next to it).. which I have done. I've tried making different projects with different minimum API/OS versions and I can't get past this error.

I've even downloaded EVERY API level in the SDK Manager.. from lvl 7 to 24.. and none work. I try to clean the build and then rebuild.. just nothing is working and I'm going insane. Someone please help =[

EDIT: I found this in the log which I believe is part of the problem

"
2016-09-07 12:04:24,724 [ 10617] INFO - .android.sdk.AndroidTargetData - File C:/Users/rcs/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/platforms/android-24/data/res/values/attrs.xml is not found
"

Last edited:
Do you have any screenshots of where this error is being displayed?

Are any errors or problems reported in the console or event log windows?

Are there any red error highlights in the XML for your layout?

hey LV426, thank you so much for replying.

I attached a screenshot. I get this error no matter whether it's a brand new project, or I'm opening a project someone else made.

When I open activity_main.xml or fragment_main.xml... i see NOTHING in the Event Log nor Gradle Console.

When I look at the XML for either of those files I see no red errors neither. I'm really stumped and frustrated

Attachments

• android.png
    android.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 584
Upvote 0
Very strange and not a lot to go on there.
I wonder if there are any errors in the Android Studio logfiles? Not sure what operating system you're using, but here's some help on where to find them:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19784877/how-to-find-the-logs-on-android-studio

And I assume you tried this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18195807/android-studio-rendering-problems

So I installed on my home laptop and it's working.. which is really darn slow and i need this to work on my work laptop.

I definitely tried that latter option a million times

That first link though.. I'm looking at the log and I did notice this

"
2016-09-07 12:04:24,724 [ 10617] INFO - .android.sdk.AndroidTargetData - File C:/Users/rcs/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/platforms/android-24/data/res/values/attrs.xml is not found
"

So i guess that might be something? going to start looking into it... do you think that's related?

EDIT: I just navigated there and the file is definitely there.. so i dont know if that's it or even related..

Upvote 0
ok i tried to open activity_main.xml again and it definitely logs that error.. so taht definitely is related.. BUT it's weird.. i have the API chosen to 23.. but it's looking in android-24 folder. any suggestions on what i can do to fix this?

EDIT: ok well i changed it to API lvl 19.. and did File --> Invalid Caches / Restart and then it looks in the API-19 folder.. doesn't find it.. but then it switches to 24 again strangely.. and still doesn't find it.. even though they both exist

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try to reinstall a new version of studio. I have had to reinstall it a few time in the past due to some stuff like this. It maybe have been messed up on its download.
If that doesn't work try adding the file into every folder for the api and see if that will do the trick

I did try actually.. i did a full uninstall.. i also removed the java JDK.. i did a CC Cleaner on the registry.. but when everything was installed again, it was as if it remembered all my settings.. so I feel like I couldn't uninstall "completely".

did you do anything outside of the normal uninstall?

EDIT: sigh ya i did a full uninstall again.. deleted all folders i could find that was associated with Android Studio and still same thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones