Replacing "Messagin" Icon with HandcentSupport

Last Updated:

1. drbunda

drbunda Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You'll have to forgive my vocabulary as I'm a previous BB user until I got this phone on Tuesday. Major learning curve here! :)

Is there any way to change the four main icons (I'm not sure what to call it) that appear at the bottom on every page? I downloaded Handcent to use for my SMS because I like the way it looks better, etc. but I wish I could just remove the "Messaging" and replace it with Handcent so that I have access to it from every page instead of having to click on the Handcent App every time.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. hoopdy77

hoopdy77 Member

The four main icons that appear at the bottom of every page on the Epic 4G are not editable. They are movable on other Galasy S phones. I'm not sure if this is because Sprint phones run TouchWiz 2.5 or if this will be a feature if the Epic ever goes to TouchWiz 3.0.

3. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

If you download LauncherPro for free, you can set all 5 (LP uses 5 instead of 4), to point to any application you'd like. I've been playing around with it, and I'm impressed with how many customizations you can make to it.

4. drbunda

Does it keep the same look/feel of all the home pages? Sorry if this is a dumb question. All I understand so far is that Samsungs look/feel is different from standard android on other phones because of Touchwiz 2.5 (i think). So with LauncherPro everything looks the same, but I can set my "Messaging" icon to redirect to handcent?

5. icemanjs4

icemanjs4 Well-Known Member

Not Exactly, but close. The only thing is that certain Samsung-specific widgets will no longer be available. From what I've found there are better apps in the market for most everything you need anyway.

The only thing I'll miss about TouchWiz is the I-phone style app-drawer. I like paging horizontally instead of scrolling through an infinite list. If we can get LauncherPro with the TW-syle app drawer, it would be perfect in my book.

6. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Check out ADW Launcher, it allows you to scroll through your apps horizontally. It also allows up to 4 icons to be "static" at the bottom of any screen. There are tons of options in the settings, play around with it and I'm sure you'll be amazed.

7. drbunda

I'm assuming you can always uninstall these and it goes back to the TW?

8. Keybeeetsss

Keybeeetsss Well-Known Member

U don't even hav to uninstall to go back to TW actually, but yes...

The only thing I like(d) about YW is the Buddies Now; I really like that (Samsung Widget) but the locked dock thing is a no go for me...

9. drbunda

Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out!!

10. fastgsxauto

fastgsxauto New Member

Hey guys,
    So I upgraded to LauncherPro Plus as recommended, but I don't see the "Friends" widget. Is this not available to use epic users?

11. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Although you can't replace the messaging icon it will redirect to handcent. After installing handcent touch the stock messaging icon and it will give you option to use handcent as the default sms.

12. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

um, so if you check 'use as default' with handcent, anyone know how to go back to using the stock messaging app? :D

13. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Go to settings > applications and under handcent click on clear defualts

14. PoundSand

PoundSand Well-Known Member

sweet, thanks. ;D

15. gyoung345

gyoung345 Member

This doesn't work for me. If I click the messaging icon on the TW interface it takes me to the stock android (or is it stock TW) messaging application which lists all the messages. If I click to drill into one (say my wife) it then opens Handcent.

The first time after installing Handcent and clicking the messaging icon in TW and then drilliing into an actual messaging conversation will ask me then what app to be the default SMS application. I choose Handcent, but the TW messaging icon always opens the TW messaging list.

Is there a way to force the TW messaging icon to open Handcent's listing of messages?

16. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

Yes. From main home screen, go to settings-applications-menu-select all-scroll to messaging-select-clear out defaults