• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reporting problems to samsung (No longer a silent protest)

Well, I finally got to talk to one of the tech bods at Samsung, who basically told me everything that everyone else told me - YOU SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET UPDATES THROUGH NPS AT THIS TIME.

The discussions I had with them centered around them starting out by saying "It's a high-end device with a big battery draw" to which I responded "Yes, but my N95 8Gb had a higher-power draw screen, 3 CPUs and a battery 2/3rds the size, and that lasted 3 days under fairly heavy use."

They then moved on to "It might be a faulty battery - we can send a new one" to which I replied "That's fine, but if you check the interwebs, you'll find it's more than just me having battery life problems, so either the battery manufacturing process is fundamentally flawed, or it's a firmware fault."

I mentioned some people have had the new firmware which seemed to fix it, and the guy then said my repair options are:

a) take it to a Carphone Warehouse or other authorised repair centre and get them to look it over - although there's no guarantee that they'll have even heard about the phone. The bloke I just spoke to, a mobile phone salesman nonetheless, responded with "A what? Never heard of it..."

b) post it off to some repair partner company and let them do it, but this could take 10 working days to do.

So, some progress, but still not great. I can't believe it's THAT HARD to get software to work with the thing for updates. Don't know why they don't push them out OTA, unless it's a licensing issue or something.

I don't fancy having to mess about like this again when Donut/Eclair/other sweet pastry named OS update comes out.

Samsung - SORT IT OUT!

Upvote 0
Just heard back from CPW - the Galaxy still isn't on their system, even though they're an approved Samsung repair partner - so they can't do anything, which means your only option is to post it to this other firm.

To do that, you need to call Samsung UK on 08456 7267864 and get them to book it in and give you a reference number.

The company is called 'Regenersis', and they have a few repair centres over the UK.

Hope this helps someone!

Still not sure why some countries can get updates through NPS and we in the UK can't though. Seems ridiculous. If it's something to do with language file settings, and there's an English ROM out, why not make it available?? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Samsung are chatting naff as facts are devices are getting updated by nps for other countries, the galaxy fairy godmother didn't put them up for download so some on samsungs dev team put them there. I also know they are chatting naff as I'm in correspondence with someone quite high up on the foodchain between o2 and samsungmobile uk.

Upvote 0
Hmm I just noticed the G8 version for O2 was posted here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/9663-firmware-versions-2.html#post56326

So you could use odin to go to I5 - technically voiding your waranty - and if you ever needed to go back to a valid O2 build you could use odin with that file. They would never know that you had updated unofficially.

If NPS ever started working, you could just odin back to the G8 build and update from there. Previously there was no CSC for O2 so there was no way back to an official O2 build, but with this file we now have one.

Having said that the rapidshare link is dead, so maybe someone could re-upload it.

Upvote 0
Hmm I just noticed the G8 version for O2 was posted here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/9663-firmware-versions-2.html#post56326

So you could use odin to go to I5 - technically voiding your waranty - and if you ever needed to go back to a valid O2 build you could use odin with that file. They would never know that you had updated unofficially.

If NPS ever started working, you could just odin back to the G8 build and update from there. Previously there was no CSC for O2 so there was no way back to an official O2 build, but with this file we now have one.

Having said that the rapidshare link is dead, so maybe someone could re-upload it.

odin and g8 are here Index of /files/i7500/

although if/when o2/samsung do sort out the downloads then im sure sephail will help us out and get hold of it from the site and decrypt it

Upvote 0
In order to install firmaware update I5 using official samsung PCStudio, it was actually pretty simple. I did a fresh install in another XP machine, but during installation I chose Germany as the country for server (after choosing English (UK) as language). Then when I tried to update, I was able to automagically update to I5. Ofcourse don't know if the CPS files were altered, etc.. Give this a try.

Upvote 0
Wow, i finally got a reply from Samsung to my bug report. To my surprise they said that the information had been forwarded inside Samsung.

Still no promise on keeping me up to date on the issue, but at least it wasn't a broken cut&paste of some standard answer. Time will tell if the bug is fixed in an upcoming release or not.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on H6 firmware, and I'm pretty much unable to do ANYTHING with regard to updating/rooting/flashing/whatever-ing the phone, as the drivers I have installed don't seem to work.

See my post here:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/10109-modaco-custom-rom-based-ih8.html#post61387

for a full description.

If any of the super-users here can point me in the right direction with getting the PC connected to the phone in FASTBOOT mode, I'm gonna just put the MoDoCo ROM on for now.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Just made the most pointless phone call to Samsung to discuss the Galaxy and it's problems. Basically spoke to a guy who knew nothing and just made things up.

He told me it was Androids fault and I should speak to the developers of that - So I asked who developed it and he told me he didn't know (That's what we are working against)

I asked why can German phones be updated using NPS, but not UK phones and again that's Androids fault (???)

I pushed him to answer if Samsung were working on a fix and he just said it would appear on the site if/when there was an update.

Totally pointless speaking to them.

Upvote 0
After speaking to Samsung support, apparently a download will be made available in the coming weeks (before end of Oct), which will enable the Galaxy handset to be updated to the lastest firmware.

Following this update the handset will be recognised by NPS.

Any further updates will then be made via NPS.

Lets hope this is all true.

For the time being, keep a check on the samsung website.

Upvote 0
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } What follows is my email complaining about the I7500 (firmware V1.5) If and when I get a response I'll post the reply.

This problem relates to the Samsung Galaxy and NOT the Gt-I8000. Why did I select GT-I8000 ? Because.... the I7500 is not available in your pull list on your website. So the following problems I am about to describe relate to the Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500 !

First I would like to say that this phone would be absolutely wonderful if it wasn't for a few bugs which are making the phone really irritating to use for it's primary role as a phone.

The bugs are ...

1. Auto lock screen function is erratic.
An example .. even though the lock screen is set to 1 minute when you unlock it it will within a couple of seconds the phone will blank & lock itself again. This happens about 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time it works ok. A workaround is to completely disable auto screen lock in the settings. This definitely makes things better, however I now have to remember to manually lock the screen to preserve battery charge.

2. Intermittent Phone calls end within seconds of being answered even when there is maximum signal strength.
An example .. phone rings, hold it up to my ear, can't hear anything, look back at screen. Call ended. This has happened at least 20 times in the week I have had this phone.

3. Intermittently when I dial a call it will also end immediately. I'm not 100% sure but if I avoid moving or touching the phone, then it workings ok. This has happened at least 10 times during the week I have had the phone.

4. Using 'speakerphone' option in a call ie resulted in the tab that allows you to type numbers being unresponsive. This has happened once during the week I have had it.

5. The phone has rebooted by itself twice while using it in the week I have had it.

Out of all these problems the biggest problem is related to the call problem and screen locking problems with the phone. I have a lot of patience however most people would probably return there phones if they had these two problems.

These all seem to be firmware problems rather than hardware problems. Is there a firmware update coming soon, that will resolve some of these problems ?

Other features of the phone seem to work fine for me, however the most important feature, it's ability to be used reliably as a phone is a big problem for me as I use it constantly for work.

So in summary can you tell me when the new firmware for this phone will be available for download.

Regards

Upvote 0
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } What follows is my email complaining about the I7500 (firmware V1.5) If and when I get a response I'll post the reply.

This problem relates to the Samsung Galaxy and NOT the Gt-I8000. Why did I select GT-I8000 ? Because.... the I7500 is not available in your pull list on your website. So the following problems I am about to describe relate to the Samsung Galaxy GT-I7500 !

First I would like to say that this phone would be absolutely wonderful if it wasn't for a few bugs which are making the phone really irritating to use for it's primary role as a phone.

The bugs are ...

1. Auto lock screen function is erratic.
An example .. even though the lock screen is set to 1 minute when you unlock it it will within a couple of seconds the phone will blank & lock itself again. This happens about 50% of the time, the other 50% of the time it works ok. A workaround is to completely disable auto screen lock in the settings. This definitely makes things better, however I now have to remember to manually lock the screen to preserve battery charge.

2. Intermittent Phone calls end within seconds of being answered even when there is maximum signal strength.
An example .. phone rings, hold it up to my ear, can't hear anything, look back at screen. Call ended. This has happened at least 20 times in the week I have had this phone.

3. Intermittently when I dial a call it will also end immediately. I'm not 100% sure but if I avoid moving or touching the phone, then it workings ok. This has happened at least 10 times during the week I have had the phone.

4. Using 'speakerphone' option in a call ie resulted in the tab that allows you to type numbers being unresponsive. This has happened once during the week I have had it.

5. The phone has rebooted by itself twice while using it in the week I have had it.

Out of all these problems the biggest problem is related to the call problem and screen locking problems with the phone. I have a lot of patience however most people would probably return there phones if they had these two problems.

These all seem to be firmware problems rather than hardware problems. Is there a firmware update coming soon, that will resolve some of these problems ?

Other features of the phone seem to work fine for me, however the most important feature, it's ability to be used reliably as a phone is a big problem for me as I use it constantly for work.

So in summary can you tell me when the new firmware for this phone will be available for download.

Regards

Good luck with this ;)

Upvote 0
What firmware version is your phone on?

As taken from settings-About Phone ..

Firmware version 1.5
Baseband version I7500XXII4
Kernel version 2.6.27 (hudson@andy #1)
Build number 76XXCSDCBALUM6375

I see other people talk about firmware H8 and I5, so from the above info does that mean I'm on I4 ? and that there is a firmware update available called I7500XXII5 that may help.

Upvote 0
As taken from settings-About Phone ..

Firmware version 1.5
Baseband version I7500XXII4
Kernel version 2.6.27 (hudson@andy #1)
Build number 76XXCSDCBALUM6375

I see other people talk about firmware H8 and I5, so from the above info does that mean I'm on I4 ? and that there is a firmware update available called I7500XXII5 that may help.
I'm on I4 and was having the phone shut off at least twice a day. I updated all my apps and over a period of a couple of days of ensuring the apps were updated, the issue went away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones