• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories REVIEW Galaxy Note 4 Qi Wireless Solution (pad, stand, car mount) w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of Galaxy Note 4 Qi Wireless Solution.

I was never a fan of wireless charging especially if it requires adding parts to a smartphone. It’s different with my Nexus 7 HD where Qi receiver is built in: just place it on a charging pad and off you go. Adding Qi receiver coil/pad and making sure it still works with my preferred case, not to mention without making case bulge out, seemed to me like a hassle. Back in the days when I had my Note 2, it wasn’t even an option since my provider (Verizon) disabled access to wireless charging contacts. With my Note 4 I was on a fence and the only driving force behind it was my use of the phone as GPS everyday to/from work where I have 1hr of driving each way and need to have my phone plugged in. Constant plugging and unplugging of micro-usb cable takes a toll on that port. So here I was, looking for a wireless solution for my Note 4 and accepting the fact that I will only be able to charge my phone at a maximum 1A (current limitation of a common inductive coil charging), which is half the speed of a typical 2A wired charger and even less in comparison to rapid charging.

I start looking into 3 common pieces of this solution: a wireless charging receiver pad to add under the battery cover of my Note 4, a wireless charging transmitter pad/stand, and a car mount with a wireless charging transmitter. Starting with a receiver coil/pad, you will find dozens of parts under $10, but unfortunately they don’t work the same. They all have an inductive receiver coil, some converter circuit, and two sets of contacts. They all will add thickness to your phone, making your battery door bulge out a bit, but not significantly. The problem, they all introduce a heat to the back of your phone (you have a high current going through a metal coil), but some make it very hot and others more tolerable. The one I found to be work the best for me is this Qi receiver pad: http://www.dx.com/p/newest-hot-sale...amsung-note-4-n9100-black-358059#.VM1OF7B0z3g - $7.99, 1A output, and about 62mm x 40mm in size. It was very easy to install, and had a little sticky strip on the back so it holds the pad in place once you align it with pins. Plus, it didn’t add too much bulge to my UAG case.

dx_qi_n4_set-01_zpsvmizlars.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-02_zpsvct4marv.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-03_zpsadvwzrrs.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-04_zpsui79b54b.jpg

The most important thing – it actually WORKED with a transmitter/charging pad through my UAG case. Keep in mind, there is no physical contact between transmitter coil and receiver coil, that’s why it’s called inductive charging. The distance between coils will affect your charging speed, but I actually found this particular charging pad to work really well with my charging stand and car mount.

Speaking of charging stand, there are tons you can find on the net in round puck shape or a more traditional flat rectangular shape. The problem is that you need to align your phone with a charging coil inside of that charging pad and make sure you don’t move or shift it for duration of charging. That is a big challenge which has been resolved by infamous Tylt brand angled charging stand. But just like anything in this world, when you have an expensive brand name product, sooner or later you will find a similar looking (read: identical) alternative at half the price from China! This is a wireless charging stand I got: http://www.dx.com/p/itian-a6-3-coil...let-pc-mobile-phone-black-325355#.VM1O_rB0z3g ($33.73, 1A output, 3-coil design) or as a better alternative you can get it bundled with Note 4 wireless receiver for only $4 more: http://www.dx.com/p/itian-a6-3-coil...msung-galaxy-note-4-black-364016#.VM1YSrB0z3g

dx_qi_n4_set-05_zpsuqgaxftq.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-06_zpsgyhekput.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-07_zpsaecqzgo5.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-08_zpsagw99v3i.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-09_zpsk3my2mvu.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-10_zpsidgbiu2b.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-11_zpsk93jvoip.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-12_zpsrioyguqq.jpg

It works like a charm!!! No need to slide around for the correct position or to worry that someone will walk by and knock it off the stand. That stand is upright so it’s easy to position the phone, and 3-coil design covers a larger area so you don’t have to micro-adjust the position to find a sweet spot. Plus, phone is in upright position so it’s easy to view the screen if you have to. Also, there is led indicator when power is connected to the stand (red light) and when you make a charging contact (blue light). This way you know for sure phone is aligned and charging wirelessly. The most important, it works well with a charging pad on the back of my phone, it doesn’t get too hot, and you get close to 1A charging speed. Don’t forget, it also comes with a quality usb cable and 2A wall charger. I think for $37 plus change it’s the best solution you can get to have everything you need to setup your Note 4 with wireless charging. Plus, the same stand can be used for any of your other devices supporting Qi charging.

But why limit yourself to only in-home wireless charging? In my case, I was also interested for in-car charging as well. That is also challenging because you are not only looking for a wireless charging solution, but also for a sturdy grip for your phone so it won’t slip out while you are driving. I have reviewed a lot of regular car mounts, probably everything under the sun, and always find myself coming back to Arkon mounts. But when it comes to wireless charging, I found this one to work the best with my Note 4: http://www.dx.com/p/qi-vehicle-moun...xy-s3-s4-s5-note-2-note-3-335226#.VM1OTrB0z3g ($37.19, 1A output, with a bonus of usb cable, car charger, and a vent mount). The base has a typical suction cup with a rotation lock, taking very little room.

The actual mounting part is attached to the base through a common universal 17mm ball joint which means you can use it with any of your current mounts supporting the same connection. Those familiar with iOttie car mounts will see this one uses the same push button lock mechanism where you separate the holding “jaws” by pushing on the sides, and once the phone is placed into the cradle it pushes the back button to lock it in. Just keep in mind, if you have a bulky case like a Defender – it will not fit. It worked with UAG case but had a small margin, just enough. Also, since now you are a dealing with a single coil transmit charger – you will have to find a sweet spot to position your phone. The bottom of the mount has an adjustable shelf which is very convenient to set for that sweet spot to align it perfectly. Also, there is led indicator when power is connected to the mount (red light) and when you make a charging contact (blue light). This way you know for sure phone is aligned and charging wirelessly.

dx_qi_n4_set-13_zpsawvo9ike.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-14_zpspq6jq6jy.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-15_zps7b7l3yg0.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-16_zpsdedvhmuu.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-17_zpsd8xfsjce.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-18_zps6f9tqyhf.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-19_zpsejdfsulk.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-20_zpssj9c5gip.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-21_zpszachxnmm.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-22_zpsxdpzgj1u.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-23_zpswnviyx34.jpg

dx_qi_n4_set-24_zpsofbo04q3.jpg

Overall, this solution works 100% with my Note 4 and UAG case (not the slimmest case to begin with), and provides a reliable charging, not too much overheating though it gets a bit warm (but not “hot” like I’ve seen with some other charging pads), and it’s very reasonably priced. Keep in mind, your charging speed will be at half speed due to 1A charging limitation. Still, gets my high recommendation!!!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones