• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of SoundMagic HP150 Premium full size headphones w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a review of SoundMagic HP150 full size audiophile headphones. Amazon.com: SoundMAGIC HP150 Premium Full Size Folding Headphones (Black): Electronics

I have to start my review by admitting that I'm not a big fan of full size over-ear headphones. I'm constantly on the move and find IEMs to suite me better. Another reason, in the past I wasn't able to find full size headphones with a sound signature that I enjoy 100%. When it comes to in-ear monitors, you get so many choices to pick from and on top of that you have a selection of eartips to fine tune the sound further. With full size, you're kind of stuck unless if you are lucky to find a compatible replacement earpads to add a little more space between the driver and your ears. I have tested some over-/on-ear headphones in the past, but found those either too commercial v-shaped or too analytical with overbearing brightness and lack of low end. So I almost gave up on full size headphones until I discovered SoundMagic HP150, a refresh update to their popular HP100 closed back full size headphones. Here is a reason why HP150 changed my mind.

Unboxing.

I found the box it arrived in to have a lot of useful info to help you discover these headphones even before taking them out. Beside the usual specification and accessories listing, it had a very detailed description of the design and Frequency Response curve. It takes a lot of confidence and pride to put that on the box cover. Inside of the packaging box I found the entire space occupied by a rectangular carrying hardcase box with headphones and all the accessories inside of it. Seeing pictures of the original HP100 case, I was a bit disappointed considering this is a straight forward case rather than V-moda like molded case used with HP100. I guess this case is more Beyer inspired and serves it's purpose with a roomy interior, foam shaped insert lining where headphones go in, and mesh pocket with a velcro on the opposite side to store the accessories.

Accessories.

The accessories include 1.2m removable cable (both 3.5mm sides with a twist lock on the side going into earcup), 3m extension cable, 1/4" twist on adapter plug, and airplane adapter. Unlike original HP100 coiled cable, this one is straight with a shorter length for a more convenient use with DAP or Smartphone. The cable shielding is durable, thicker, and still soft enough to wrap easily for storage. Both sides of the cable have a decent strain relief next to a jack and the housing of the plug itself is metal with gold plated connector. Extension cable is the same thickness with a same shielding, but I was a bit surprised that it's 3.5mm end didn't have a thread for 1/4" adapter, while original 1.2m cable did. In theory, if you want to use HP150 with a desktop equipment the extension cable is more convenient and might require an adapter in that case. But it's really a minor thing.

Headphone construction and design.

Now, regarding headphones construction. The overall design is very solid and all the materials feel high quality down to metal screws. Starting with an oversized earcups housing 53mm dynamic neodymium drivers, these are attached to y-fork going to the main headband joint. There is a degree of vertical rotation, but they don't flip 180deg for a flat storage, though each earcup does rotates 180deg for dj-style listening. Also, there is a unique feature where the whole earcup could be rotated 90 degree up to open your ear without a need to shift headband. For a more compact storage they also fold inside of the headband to occupy a minimum footprint. Headband itself is metal reinforced with a perfect amount of clamping force. The adjustment is very smooth and precise and has a marking on the metal band to indicate the steps. Inside of the band you have a soft padding, and the whole headband is wrapped in a soft quality pleather. Another difference with the original HP100 is a soft touch uniform finish material used on earcup cover and also what seems to be a plushier deeper earpads which provide enough room between my ears and the drivers to avoid the contact. The combination of these earpads and perfect amount of clamping force provides a good sound isolation. Though being closed back design, each earcup also has a few millimeter wide air port opening which should contribute to soundstage improvement. While being a full size headphones with a rather large earcups, HP150 felt very comfortable and lightweight on my head during extended period of use and I noticed the earpads didn't get too hot on my ears.

Sound analysis.

So how do these sound? From the moment I put these on out of the box, my opinion changed from a balanced sound signature to a neutral-reference after low end settled down and upper frequencies got smoother. You don't need too much burn in time to hear the difference, and within first 10hrs I already heard a significant improvement. But to get the most out of these, they really benefit from external amping which improves the soundstage and adds more details across the entire spectrum range. As I mentioned before, the sound is neutral and perceived even across FR. It's very detailed and has a perfect amount of brightness to get close to analytical level without crossing a threshold of being too bright or sibilant. The amount of micro-details you will hear is amazing, and it especially revealing when it comes to vocals and little nuances of singer taking a breath or musicians strumming instruments, etc. The sound separation and layering is very transparent where you can zoom into every instrument and find it's precise positioning in space. For a closed back headphones these have a really good soundstage in 3D space. Of course they will not provide the same amount of air in comparison to open headphones, but in my opinion they came close to DT880 semi-open, and actually matched or exceeded most of the other full size I tested before (M50x, Momentum, P7, M100, DNA Pro).

More about the sound itself. My experience with full size headphones in the past was around those with a balanced sound signature and enhanced bass and different levels of v-shaped mids. I also auditioned DT990 and T70p in the past and found them to be too bright for my taste with not enough bass. HP150 really nails it for me in terms of a sound quality. Though I do enjoy the bass and my ears get adjusted to it, in comparison to HP150 most of the balanced headphones I tested before had too much of mid-bass bloat and overall warmth. For example, going between M50x and HP150 feels like a weight lifted off my ears lol! HP150 bass has a very detailed quality with an intelligent quantity to reach the level called by a particular instrument. While listening to a mellow tracks you get more of a deep sub-bass called by it's specific acoustic instruments, while with pop tracks you get more of a mid-bass punch to get the rhythm going, and when it comes to EDM music which is what I listen to most of the time - you get a fast attack of mid-bass slam with a deep extended textured sub-bass. There is no bleed into lower mids, bass is well contained and under control. Mids, and especially upper-mids since I focus a lot on vocals, are very detailed with a perfect amount of brightness without sounding too thin, and with a smooth full body without sounding too warm. Treble is crisp and very detailed, extends pretty far, also has enough brightness but it's smooth without a hint of sibilance. High frequencies are tuned just perfect to sound bright and clear without becoming too hot or peaky, and overall very easy on your ears for extended listening period without causing ear fatigue. With added amplifier, I was using E11k with a cable from HS6 kit, the sound becomes more dynamic, soundstage widens, and you get additional layer of details - the sound doesn't just get louder but scales up in every dimension!

Conclusion.

Overall, I was VERY impressed with these headphones!!! I always craved to find a neutral reference sound cans and lost a hope that I will be able to find anything in a lower budget price range. If you think about it, for under $200 this SoundMagic HP150 model is a BARGAIN considering it's design, build quality, and amazing sound signature. Perhaps it's a little bit of new toy syndrome excitement, but I have a feeling HP150 should be added to a "Giant Killer" category since I have a feeling it can come close in performance to some of the more well known audiophile headphones from Senns, Beyer, AKG, and AT that cost a lot more. I'm being realistic and not suggesting they will stomp all over headphones that cost 5x as much, but in my personal opinion and by memory of when I had a chance to test T5p - I wasn't as excited about the sound of T5p ($1400) as I was now about HP150 ($199). Just my personal opinion, but if you are looking for that end-game audiophile quality pair of full size headphones and on a tight budget, I would HIGHLY recommend to consider HP150 and a small portable amp where together for under $300 you will have a KILLER audiophile quality sound like you never experienced before!

Here are the pictures.

soundmagic_hp150-01_zpsc5144d1e.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-02_zps3c89e3bd.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-03_zps21690149.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-04_zpseb09a0ea.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-05_zps8498a1e7.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-06_zpsbf14a9fa.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-07_zpsb35c482d.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-08_zps9d4a47a7.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-09_zps72dd039c.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-10_zps216e9a5b.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-11_zps29f636c0.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-12_zpse0eeea06.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-13_zps7ebe6ea1.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-14_zpsaf9dc1fe.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-15_zps9f6ce420.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-16_zpscdd4a5f0.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-17_zpsde941323.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-18_zps1f27c234.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-19_zpsd4fc8356.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-20_zps0dc03085.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-21_zps8e48a6e6.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-22_zps7eaf1cdb.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-23_zps44e5efa3.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-24_zps2ad92b07.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-25_zps061f3552.jpg

soundmagic_hp150-26_zps90c0ebeb.jpg

This is a mini review of Brainwavz headphones hard case for use with HP150 and other full size headphones. BRAINWAVZ Headphones Hard Case , available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Large-Hard-Headphone-Case/dp/B00HPPI0W8/

I truly believe headphone cases deserve more attention. I always look at high quality headphones as an investment that needs to be protected. When it comes to full size headphones, some companies recognize that with stylish form-fitted cases, others use over-sized box cases, and some just include a storage pouch. I was very excited about the latest pair of HP150 headphones I reviewed, and was ok with a case included with it. But it was a rather large over-sized box, very similar to Beyerdynamic cases. It's great for storage, but not so much when you are traveling. In a contrast, HP100 had a tight form fitted case, similar to V-Moda cases, with a little bit of room and velctro attached storage pouch. For demonstration, and by request of some who contacted me asking if HP150 earcups are the same size as HP100, I have confirmed that HP150 fits snuggly without any problem inside of HP100 case. But how does it helps you if you just bought HP150 and would like a nice travel case for it? The answer - Brainwavz headphones hard case!

I didn't just randomly selected this case for review, and actually tried HP150 with other cases, and every single one was either small or too tight. Brainwavz case turned out to have a perfect fit with both headphones unfolded (while cable is removed) and headphones folded with cable attached. The unique sloped down shape has enough room for HP150 earcups and other accessories. The case has a reinforced hard shell with soft inner lining and tough outer fabric layer . It has a double zipper with a convenience of being able to make an opening for a cable, if for example you want to keep your DAP and amp inside of the case. Furthermore, it has two hooks and comes with a shoulder trap to attach to the case if you want to carry it like a bag. Inside, there is a storage pouch with a zipper and a velcro side to attach to the inner lining of the case.
You get a lot of different storage options, where for example I was able to keep HP150 folded with an attached cable and E11k amp with it's short cable in the storage pouch. Or for an ultimate storage, I had cable off with X5 DAP on the same side as folded HP150, and headphone cable along with E11k and it's cable in the storage pouch attached to the other side of the case. Definitely storage capacity to the max! Also, I tried it with my M50x, and it fits without a problem, and I'm sure other full size headphones will fit as well.

Overall, if you just got HP150 set of headphones, this Brainwavz headphones hard case is a MUST HAVE accessory to get! It will protect your pair of new cans and will allow to store additional accessories, amps, dacs, and cables. For $17 plus change it's a no brainer. Highly recommend this full size case, as well as their small IEMs case (another gem with maximum storage space).

Here are the pictures.

w/HP150

brainwavz_hp_case_01_zpse239077e.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_02_zps0c899025.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_03_zpsa3dd2f6f.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_04_zpsd58ab5b6.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_05_zps6232c5c2.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_06_zps5fbadac0.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_07_zpse8c158ea.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_08_zps3145c1b8.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_09_zpse82ae940.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_10_zpsd56e2bec.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_11_zps9189bce0.jpg

w/M50x

brainwavz_hp_case_12_zps5b946027.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_13_zps19ab7c18.jpg

detailed overview

brainwavz_hp_case_14_zpsc087d323.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_15_zps0f5130aa.jpg

brainwavz_hp_case_16_zpsff572f6b.jpg

Upvote 0
This is a Review of Lunashops replacement cable for SoundMagic HP150 or any other Full size headphone with a removable 3.5mm cable. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4561

Even so this is a universal 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which can be used with multiple dozens of full size headphones that have a replaceable cable, I would like to focus this mini review on SoundMagic HP150 headphones because of the unique slim connector housing of these cables that allows to bypass twist-lock connector of HP150.

When it comes to full size headphones, there isn't too much you can do to fine tune the sound unless you find replacement pads (not always available) or go for a higher quality replacement cable. Typically OEM chord uses a standard copper or OFC wires. To improve sound quality, you have to look beyond copper wired cables where silver-plated wires is a great alternative. Those cables don't magically improve the sound, but rather a higher purity of silver-plated wire in comparison to a regular copper will improve conductivity and reduce degradation of the signal. The level of such improvement will vary depending on purity of the wire and quality of the connectors, but sometimes you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for super-duper wires to get a benefit of noticeable sound improvement.

I have tested a lot of lunashops replacement silver-plated cables, and always find the same consistent improvement in performance which brightens the sound, makes it more detailed in upper mids/treble and a bit tighter at low end, and slightly widens a perception of staging as a result of brighter sound. With HP150 this replacement cable introduced the same level of sound improvement. But you might ask, what makes this cable special? Beside it being 1.5m in length, flexible enough for storage, and overall nice build quality - it has a very slim connector housing which goes right into the opening of the earcup connector. HP150 original cable uses a special twist-on lock and a deeper connector opening which is not compatible with regular replacement cables. This lunashops connector is slim enough to go right inside of it and to stay very secure when plugged in.

Overall, for $30 plus change you get a very durable replacement cable with a higher quality silver-plate wiring and compatibility to be used with HP150 twist-on connector or any other headphones that use universal 3.5mm connector. The obvious benefit is a sound improvement, though it will come at a cost of some microphonics when cable is rubbing against your cloth. Still, it's probably the cheapest and the most effective sound improvement you can get for your HP150 cans or any other headphones with 3.5mm replaceable cable.

Here are the pictures.

lunashops_35mm_cable-10_zps65b6bd60.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-11_zps6ff55fe9.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-12_zps8134ece0.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-13_zps64031e25.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-14_zps1d89fbca.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-15_zps6ee9d11a.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-16_zps943a3e94.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-17_zps86a04036.jpg

lunashops_35mm_cable-18_zpsa38533c0.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones