• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Review of the Captivate: from an iPhone 3GS user

I finally upgraded the Wifey's iPhone 3G to a new 4. The 3G is so far behind, it wasn't even worth comparing to the SGS, but I'll probably post a slightly more detailed review once I've messed with the i4 a little more in depth (up till now my use has been relegated to a few minutes in the Apple store or a friends for a few).

I still _way_ prefer the OS part of the Android equation, but I have to say, the i4 hardware (display, camera, industrial design) is pretty outstanding, and some of the core apps are really well executed (email, camera) with excellent attention to detail.

Side note: The guy at the AT&T store liked the perkiness of my Captivate with a Voodoo enabled, Cognition ROM :D

Upvote 0
netflix - i used to stream movies on my iphone. can't do that with android.

Blame DRM for that. Netflix hasn't come up with a good DRM solution for the Android platform (because apparently people who are going to pirate movies would rather go through the hassle of a low-quality cell phone version than the 1080p ones they can already download elsewhere on the internet)... so they're holding back a Netflix app for Android.

Upvote 0
I'm a former iPhone 3G user who moved to Captivate.

I am still glad I made the switch, but I am still being a little disappointed with the Android OS.

I don't like the way it does home screen wallpaper. I prefer to have a static image on every screen, not one that scrolls. I also don't like that I have to download a photo taken on the phone to resize it to the correct display setting to make wallpaper.

I miss Netflix and Zumocast (stream video from home computer). I really miss Zumocast more than netflix.

No good free video player. The stock one doesn't play half of the files I create. Rockplayer, too expensive and also doesn't play everything that it claims. Same with arcMedia.

I have followed multiple website instructions on how to create the best DVD rips for display. I feel I am not getting very good results. I took a video I created for my iPhone 3G and it looked way better than the one I created following CapFaq and others instructions.

Biggest issue I have with either Android or the captivate. I purchased 2 at the same time. My phone updates regularly. My fiancee's takes days and sometime weeks to update after mine all ready update. sometime I have to force an update. Her phone has all ready been reset.

My gripes maybe more of a learning curve??? But, don't get me wrong, I may not sound like it, but I am a very happy captivate and android owner.

Upvote 0
I don't like the way it does home screen wallpaper. I prefer to have a static image on every screen, not one that scrolls.
This option is but a checkbox away in LauncherPro, the most-popular launcher replacement, and free.

I also don't like that I have to download a photo taken on the phone to resize it to the correct display setting to make wallpaper.
You don't have to resize it, but you do have to select a region to crop that matches the aspect-ratio of the Captivate's screen. This is only logical to avoid distortion/stretching.

I miss Netflix and Zumocast (stream video from home computer).
Complain to Netflix. They're holding up a Netflix for Android because they can't come up with a decent DRM solution (as if anyone is going to steal the low-quality cell version of a movie).

No good free video player. The stock one doesn't play half of the files I create. Rockplayer, too expensive and also doesn't play everything that it claims. Same with arcMedia.
A video player can only play within the limits of the hardware. I've had zero problems playing all sorts of videos as long as they were coded within the capabilities of the Captivate's hardware. An Android phone doesn't have the horsepower of a desktop PC. All the high-end fancy bells and whistles of various codecs can't always be processed on the phone's limited hardware, depending on the settings that the video was encoded at. If a video is giving you issues, recode it with Handbrake to something a cell phone can digest.

An Android phone can play many, many more video types than the iPhone can. Android wins on codec support by a mile.

I have followed multiple website instructions on how to create the best DVD rips for display. I feel I am not getting very good results. I took a video I created for my iPhone 3G and it looked way better than the one I created following CapFaq and others instructions.
Not sure what is going wrong at your end. My iPhone friends are jealous as all hell at the quality of the videos I have on my Captivate (using the settings at CapFAQ). Mine come out amazing.

Upvote 0
Being a former iPod Touch 3rd gen owner, I can relate to most of what is discussed in this review. The captivate really is great, I love the 4" screen and the customization options. I think I should just add that the only thing you may miss from Apple is the customer support. Other than that, if you like the phone as it is and have a tech friend to go to if something needs fixing, then it's a great phone to have. In fact, the more casual the phone user, the better they seem to like the phone, at least from what I can gather.

Upvote 0
This option is but a checkbox away in LauncherPro, the most-popular launcher replacement, and free.

I know everyone talks(ed) about LauncherPro, I guess I was happy enough with the Touchwiz. Last night I installed LauncherPro and I must say...WOW! Just the sure speed of everything. Now I understand why people say the Captivate lags. and the scrolling dock...just too cool. plus, it gives you the option not to have your wallpaper scroll. I will still argue non scrolling wallpaper should be a stock option, but....

I should have listen to sremick and his CapFaq and made launcherPro one of the first apps to install.

For the reviewer, LauncherPro pretty much fixes most if not all of your "last Words" suggestions.

Upvote 0
Just the sure speed of everything. Now I understand why people say the Captivate lags.

Well... the Captivate still has lag issues that LauncherPro doesn't help at all. ;) But it's still a sweet app with great performance and tons of useful features above and beyond the stock "Touchwiz" launcher.

If you have a few bucks, skip a coffee/soda today and register it for the "Plus" version and show the author your support. :) It encourages him to continue.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketcuse
I don't like the way it does home screen wallpaper. I prefer to have a static image on every screen, not one that scrolls.

Thanks for this info. I have LauncherPro and didn't know about this setting.

Upvote 0
Since Firefox Beta no longer seems to be available, I downloaded Dolphin Browser and per the advise above, installed LauncherPro.

It's like a whole new phone!!

I really didn't like most of the software for the Captivate out of the box. But after this forum and looking around the marketplace, I replace the most important tools that I needed improvement (K9, LauncherPro, Dolphin, etc) and I'm just an ecstatic, happy camper.

I've also been very blessed with a unit that has a well functioning GPS. I think I'm all set for the next year!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones