• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of UAG Folio Case for S6 w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of UAG Folio case for Galaxy S6. http://www.urbanarmorgear.com/products/galaxy-s6-folio-black, available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/URBAN-ARMOR-GEAR-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00SXFEAB4/?tag=vectron00-20

I have reviewed a number of different "folio" cases in the past for various phones, but I never end up using one. The problem is that most of these cases are either too slim with hardly any drop protection in favor of scratch protection, or they have annoying flapping cover that doesn't stay latched, or have front cover storage that bulks up the case and puts a pressure on the screen. Either way, it wasn't my cup of tea though I know a lot of people do prefer these. Furthermore, while being a fan of UAG cases I know they like to play it safe with their signature fused double layer open face design. So you can imagine my surprise when they introduced and I got a chance to test their S5 Folio case last year. Now, on their 2nd gen, they re-introduced Folio case for S6 model with an updated design. Here is what I found.

The first thing you notice out of the box is a soft textured feel of this case. Referred to as "frogskin technology" grip, they use a proprietary rubberized material with a non-slip grip where according to UAG it maintains grip even in wet and slippery conditions. Once you flip the cover open, unlike S5 Folio case, you are no longer presented with a pocket under the cover. The inside has a padded cover with suede finish that won't scratch or put a pressure on the screen. The front cover has a very narrow tab with a magnetic latch on the side to keep it closed. I do have to mention that once magnetically “latched”, the cover is securely closed but I had to align it with a magnet every time I closed it. That narrow tab is “too narrow” to close with a casual flip, so it requires just a little bit of effort to make sure it’s aligned.

So where did a pocket for credit cards disappeared? Like a magician case with a secret trap door, there is a velcro strip to flip the cover flap and to reveal a secret pocket in the back where you can place up to 3 credit cards. At first I was on a fence if I like this solution or not. It is very original, and it keeps the case slim (relatively speaking) without bulging cover where you usually store your cards/money. Here, you won’t be able to put money bills, but 3 credit cards (or combination with a driver license) fit perfectly and easy to slide out. I think it’s a really cool idea!

As I mentioned above, one of the big problems with a folio cases is not enough security to hold the phone and lack of general protection if you drop it. Some cases barely even hold your phone at the corners while others glue a cheap tpu or plastic case to the back cover. Here you have a fully functional high quality case with a folio cover on top of it. This portion of the case resembles a regular UAG case with a similar fused dual layer design and inner honeycomb impact resistant layer, but instead of a hard shell it uses soft rubberized "frogskin" finish. You still get a great level of protection while holding it securely inside and an easy way to take the phone out when need it. You even get a secret hidden pocket for a spare SIM card storage. Also, just like with a regular UAG case, you get power and volume up/down buttons covered and a great tactile response when pressed. All the ports are generously open at the top and the bottom of the phone, and you get a precise camera/flash/sensor cutout on the back. The front cover has a cutout around front speaker area at the top so you can carry on a phone conversation with a cover closed.

Overall, I think this is among few folio cases that I find to be all in one stylish, practical, and not too bulky whenever someone decides to keep their wallet at home and just take the phone and keys along with a case. It offers hidden storage functionality, high quality exterior finish, access to all the ports and buttons, and the same high level of protection I have come to expect from their regular cases. After all, it is still tested to meet military drop-test standard (MIL STD 810G 516). Also, the case is available in Black or Red exterior color.

Here are the pictures.

uag_s6_scout_folio-01_zpscqgw5fbt.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-02_zpsvypfy4a9.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-03_zpsxqxtj0gh.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-04_zpssrbnfwgb.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-05_zpsohwcspwi.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-06_zpsra600eol.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-07_zps2epne3b7.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-08_zpsp9fpxdpo.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-09_zpscs4cnlsf.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-10_zpsjqctx5or.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-11_zpsnemu1cci.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-12_zpsfjssh7mw.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-13_zps504frsfo.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-14_zps93kant2g.jpg

uag_s6_scout_folio-15_zps11epwcmw.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones