• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Review of Voxoa/BTunes VXB BT4.0 w/apt-X wireless headphone adapter w/lots of pics!!!

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is a Review of BTunes VXB Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless adapter w/apt-X for full size headphones. http://thebtunes.com and also available on http://www.worthyaudio.com/voxoa/btunes with a Promo price of only $59 ($40 less than on amazon).

Today’s wireless headphones are not only about the convenience of cutting the wire, but also about sound quality. That is why you see so many big name manufacturers expanding their product line with wireless versions of their popular full size wired models, and some manufacturers deciding to leave it up to a user to get their own wireless adapter that attaches to a headphone cord. Whichever solution you prefer, you either have to invest in a new pair of headphones or to make peace with a dongle hanging off your 1.2m headphone cord. Such wireless dongle will cut the umbilical cord to your audio source, but you still have to deal with a hanging wire. As mentioned above, some manufacturers either choose not to design a wireless version or to have one with a price tag of at least $100 more than original model. So how do you cut the wire while retaining a wired sound quality without breaking the bank by buying multiple overpriced headsets? The solution is BTunes VXB wireless adapter module from Voxoa.

When I first heard about BTunes VXB, I wasn’t sure why Voxoa needed crowdsourcing campaign since they already have an established product line with wireless headphones. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense since Kickstarter is not just about being at the mercy of contributors, but also about extra exposure to share your idea with the world. In case of BTunes, it actually ended up being a successful campaign, and now in full production you can get your hands on this device by ordering it on-line for an instant gratification. No waiting for campaign to end and for shipment to start. Just go on their website or Amazon, place your order, and within few days you can take your favorite Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or Sennheiser Momentum 2 or V-Moda M-100 or Beats or any other full size headphones with a single-earcup removable cable and either 2.5mm or 3.5mm connector, and transform it into a wireless headset with BT4.0 and apt-X codec support. Here is more about it.

I always like to start with a packaging description and unboxing experience. Despite arriving in a very compact hard carton box, I found its diagonal side-split cover to be rather unique, opening up like a jewelry box and revealing a foam insert with VXB adapter inside of a cutout. There was no fancy cover art, just a clear message about "pure wireless hifi sound..." and a detailed spec list on the back.

Unboxing.

voxoa_btunes_vxb-01_zpsbzmowyoy.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-02_zpsocfnv0th.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-03_zpsm8wmgfpi.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-04_zpshz74t0iz.jpg

With Voxoa/BTunes offering a handful of different VXB models, you have to be aware they are all the same with the only difference being either 3.5mm or 2.5mm connector flavor. Each model is associated with a specific list of headphones, so make sure to check it before placing an order. For example, 3.5mm one is a universal slim connector but it also comes with an extension adapter to accommodate Bose QC15 model. Or 2.5mm will come in two flavors of either shorter or longer versions. But regardless of a selected connector type, the VXB design and functionality is identical, the packaging is identical, and you will get a quality usb to micro-usb charging cable, detailed instructions, and a warranty card with S/N registration card.

In my opinion, the variation between connectors begs a question if perhaps in the future they can come up with a modular design accommodating different connectors you attach per your headphone requirement, including just a regular 3.5mm socket for wired headphones. That could really eliminate a lot of headaches; otherwise it probably makes sense to get two versions of VXB to cover both 3.5mm and 2.5mm earcup sockets.

Accessories (QC15 adapter, micro-usb cable).

voxoa_btunes_vxb-05_zpsqvdwqa2f.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-06_zpsniukamki.jpg

At a glance, VXB design looks very similar to single earpiece phone headsets (Better Call Saul!). Literally, if you would add an earbud driver and the over-ear hook, you would be looking at such headset. But cleverly enough you just have the body with the base going to a plug which attaches to an "external" speaker, you headphone of choice. All the electronics and the battery are hosted inside of a compact and a lightweight body of VXB.

The shell of the body is plastic, but feels solid and sturdy in your hand. The tip has a mic pinhole opening and NFC area on the side (you can pair it up easily via NFC). You will also find a pinhole port with led indicator next to the base of headphone plug. On the back you have a rubber flap tightly covering micro-usb charging port, keeping any moisture or other weather elements away, and right above it a large and easy to access multi-function button (MFB) - the only available control.

Design details.

voxoa_btunes_vxb-07_zpsapbs3mct.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-08_zpsppkyqdrq.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-09_zpsxq2mvrdt.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-10_zpscsh4nza4.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-11_zpsjr185pzs.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-12_zps0hclwmft.jpg

The pair up with a phone was very easy and similar to any other BT Wireless device I have tested in the past. You hold MFB button until you enter pair up mode, and then select your device from the available list in your smartphone. After pair up you will be connected to phone and media audio. Keep in mind, if you are using multiple VXB devices they will show up with the same name. It's not an issue during initial pair up when you are working with one device at a time; and later via NFC or automatic pair-up there are no discrepancies in the connection. Also, I was able to confirm wireless distance in the open space to operate without a problem across 30-35ft.

Once paired up (with a pleasant voice confirmation), operation is very simple - start playing your music or watching your movie or streaming any other media from your wireless source, and your full size headphones will transform into a wireless headset that can play continuously for up to 10 hrs on a single battery charge. Playback control is under MFB with a single click to Play/Pause or to pickup or end the call, pressing it twice will skip to the next song, and long press for a few seconds will re-start the song. I wasn't able to skip to previous song since long press always re-started the currently playing song. Also, while receiving a call, you can reject it by long pressing MFB for a few seconds.

One set of controls I found to be missing was Volume. Typically your wireless device will have dedicated Volume up/down buttons for a sound level adjustment, in addition to using volume buttons on your phone or tablet. Here you are relying purely on volume adjustment from your source which is not the end of the world, but still requires you to get back to your phone or tablet if you are not next to it and want to lower or to raise the volume level. It's not a showstopper, just inconvenience.

Pair up with a phone.

voxoa_btunes_vxb-13_zpsahpns1rf.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-14_zpsinocyaxe.jpg

Another important point I would like to bring up is that you can definitely “cut” the wire when using VXB without anything hanging down or getting in your way. I have a few wireless receivers where you plug in the cord and still have to deal with a cable. If your headphones have a permanently attached cable, there is no other way around it (like the original ATH-M50). But if the cable is removable and you have a single earcup 3.5mm or 2.5mm headphone socket, VXB attachment is unobtrusive and gives your headphones a clean wireless look.

Fitment (w/ATH-MSR7).

voxoa_btunes_vxb-20_zpsti32ipgs.jpg

Solid build and robust pair up are important, but I was more interested in a sound quality. There are plenty of wireless headphones that cost as much or less than VXB adapter itself. In my opinion, the purpose of this wireless dongle is not just to convert your wired headphones into wireless, but to be able to retain the same sound quality between wired and wireless modes of operation. Support of apt-X codec is important for wireless protocol encoding and decoding to reassure accurate reproduction of a sound spectrum (without too much compression), but it's equally as important to have a quality D/A conversion to send analog signal to headphones.

Based on what I heard with 5 of my headphones chosen for this test (Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, V-Moda M-100, SoundMagic HP150, Audio Technica ATH-M50x, and Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless), I can say with a confidence that Voxoa/BTunes nailed the wireless HiFi performance. I’m not going into detailed analysis of each headphone since this is not the purpose of this review. Each headphone has its own unique signature based on manufacturer design and driver tuning. Relative to this wired sound tuning, I compared their wireless performance and found the result to be VERY close.

- MSR7 wired vs VXB - identical sound, VXB is a touch more detailed.

- HP150 wired vs VXB - very close in sound, VXB is a touch more detailed and with a little more sub-bass boom.

- M-100 wired vs VXB - identical sound, VXB is a touch more detailed and bass is a bit tighter.

- M50x wired vs VXB - identical sound, VXB is a touch more detailed and bass is a bit tighter.

- M2 wired vs VXB - tighter and less boomy bass with VXB, a little more transparency in a sound.

- M2 wireless vs VXB - very close in sound, though M2 Wireless mids are slightly more forward.

In general, what I'm hearing as a "touch more detailed" is due to a difference attributed to a sound signature of my wired sound source (being a touch warmer) in comparison to VXB audio output (being slightly brighter. But overall results were very close, especially in 3-way comparison of Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless against VXB in wired and native wireless modes.

voxoa_btunes_vxb-15_zpsxvsfopkx.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-16_zpssvofusqz.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-17_zpsitom0rox.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-18_zpswul6zeds.jpg

voxoa_btunes_vxb-19_zps4osnsb29.jpg

Conclusion.

I love the idea of taking my favorite set of wired headphones and turning them wireless. In the past I have tested a few portable BT receivers where you plug in your headphones, but the audio quality of that wireless connection was dreadful, perhaps since they utilized an old BT standard and no apt-X codec support. That was a bit of a turn off for me, but I’m glad I was able to revisit this topic and to test a product that really nailed the essence of such wireless transformation. There are obvious limitations where you need headphones with a removable single earcup cable and a standard 3.5mm or 2.5mm connector you have clear access to. But in reality this requirement covers a lot of the latest popular headphones where so many manufacturers moved to removable cables and standard connectors. Using VXB wireless adapter is not just a convenience of cutting the wire, but actually being able to retain your wired sound quality while having a freedom of not being “attached” by wire to your audio source.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones