• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Roll Call! What's up 2023?!?!?!

Stock software please. Oh, and a dark mode.

You'll get your wish with "stock"... at least initially! May I ask why that's your preference? Seems like in general, stock is meant to be a basic starting point. Why not make customizations to fit the style and functionality to match the brand and content?

100% the domain will redirect for eternity.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I agree on the name, something else would probably be better. Maybe something like "NewTech"?
We still need a good place for discussion of existing and older devices, helping people solve problems etc. Although I don't think we need to bring back the "All Things Root" sections. ;)
But then again, if we do still want to be a destination for Android discussion it will be harder for people to find us if we do away with Android in the name.

Upvote 0
You'll get your wish with "stock"... at least initially! May I ask why that's your preference? Seems like in general, stock is meant to be a basic starting point. Why not make customizations to fit the style and functionality to match the brand and content?

100% the domain will redirect for eternity.
I sent a PM with some other details, but at the highest level, overly customized inhibits the ability to keep up with the latest versions of the underlying forum software. Applying a theme for aesthetics and branding is a bit different than implementing and managing channels.

Reactions: Rob
Upvote 0
Is there a better name than EarlyBird.club. it makes it sound like everybody on here are Senior Citizens :thinking:

Curious what others think of the name- I don't think it sounds "old" but maybe I'm old? The phrase "Early Bird" is used so widely when referencing systems of rewarding people for participating early on, tech influencers are considered early adopters, etc... seems to fit perfectly imo but I'm not 110% if there is overwhelming opposition.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
When I hear "Early Bird" I think of dinner at 3:30pm and department store sales. Early Bird Club sounds like a membership card you'd carry in your purse/wallet to receive discounts at stores, similar to an AARP card.

I'd assume a website called EarlyBird.club would be similar: offering promos, discounts, coupon codes, etc. on a variety of merchandise for online shopping.

On the positive side - an updated and more stock website sounds good. :) :)

Upvote 0
When I hear "Early Bird" I think of dinner at 3:30pm and department store sales. Early Bird Club sounds like a membership card you'd carry in your purse/wallet to receive discounts at stores, similar to an AARP card.

I'd assume a website called EarlyBird.club would be similar: offering promos, discounts, coupon codes, etc. on a variety of merchandise for online shopping.

On the positive side - an updated and more stock website sounds good. :) :)
So, the more I hear this, the more I think I have to agree. 3:30 dinner at the Ground Round. :p

Cutting Edge? Next Big Thing? Something New? First Impressions? Kick Started (though I imagine that would be copyright hell)? Proud geeks? Me first?

Upvote 0
I'll be honest, when I thought early bird this came to mind

Attachments

• rbird.jpeg
    rbird.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well you asked- ;)
Yes, I did ask, and this is exactly why!

I can emphatically say that we will NOT be renaming AF as Early Bird Club. We'll focus on updating the software to stock XF 2.X and ponder a new name in the meantime. Appreciate everyone's feedback!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones