• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] DroidSmith_Force - Beta

I'm running the beta on my phone and all is working well. Superuser is working fine now (had some trouble with it because I forgot to wipe my phone and Super SU was interfering). As far as bloat goes, it is taken care of. However, there are a few apps that I think are not needed. The default browser is poor and Chrome is a better alternative. The default video player lacks features and is not compatible with many codecs/file types. I think something like MX Player would be a better alternative. Finally, Google Play Books, Play Movies & TV, and Play Music shouldn't be included in my opinion. I use Books and Music occasionally but I think they should be optional rather than included with other system apps.

All wireless technologies are working.

Cool. I can remove those items. Ill add Chrome to the data partition, so I will have to do some retooling of the updater script. I'm going to also start releasing two versions. An update, and full version when I can. Some system mods require that the whole system be wiped

Upvote 0
So I flash this rrom and say for whatever reason I don't want it. Can I just restore one of my nandroids from before I flashed the rom?

Yes. Be advised its a work in progress, so for now its not much different than stock. One thing I need to know before progressing is if...

1) do tethering options show up in the settings menu on 0.1.1

2) do they work?

Upvote 0
Running 0.1.1 beta... no tether options in settings. Don't see it anywhere. Wifi root users app still works for tethering. I did notice that the phone is running faster and smoother. Seems like it also fixed some touch issues I was having before. Needs chrome, I had to install it to even log on to this site lol. I'll play around with and let you know more later on.

Upvote 0
I found a few problems. System settings unexpectedly quit popped up few times randomly when i wasn't even in the settings menu. Also when I try to go to connections optimizer it says android.phone unexpectedly quit, which is a problem for me because I have to turn it off to use tethering. When it's on it randomly cuts my wifi on therefore cutting my tethering off. Not cool while trying to play black ops II lol.

Upvote 0
I found a few problems. System settings unexpectedly quit popped up few times randomly when i wasn't even in the settings menu. Also when I try to go to connections optimizer it says android.phone unexpectedly quit, which is a problem for me because I have to turn it off to use tethering. When it's on it randomly cuts my wifi on therefore cutting my tethering off. Not cool while trying to play black ops II lol.

Yeah sorry foe the issues. Conntioms optimizer has been removed. I have to do some more edits to remove it from the settings menu. Having worked on a boost step deice before I assure that ita useless bloat. I attempted to enable infrastructure tether in the settings apk, but it doesn't seem that it worked out right. Ill pull it for now and put that mod on-the-job self until I have the device. 0.2 should.work out better for you when I finish it. Thanks for the input. Its all that keeps this moving forward at this point

Edit: were you using the builtnon there or an app?

Upvote 0
I use WiFi tether for root users app for tethering. Foxfi/pdanet does not work in infrastructure mode. I have 4g at the house so its more than fast enough to play bo2 online with no lag at all. Also works for streaming netflix and hulu in hd
Connection speed on 4g averages about 6-8 mbps download and 1mbps upload. I have gotten up to 14 mbps. So far boost has yet to throttle 4g.

Upvote 0
why did you remove the youtube app?
just want to see your reasoning behind it. You have more knowledge in this field then i do.

The reason for pulling the apps is because you can download them from the play store. If they are included as system apps you end up with an unnecessary redundancy on the data partition since the apps in the system partition cannot be updated

Upvote 0
Updated to 0.2 Beta. I can't do update packs yet. I am still way to deep into the system to have it work out right. In this version i replaced the boot animation, and replaced the stock launcher with Xperia home. As requested the stock browser has been removed, and Chrome takes its place. The battery indicator has also been given the DS touch and reeds in 1% increments. If someone could post a few screenshots that would be awesome.

Reactions: rbheromax
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones