• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] [ROM] Ice Cream Scamwich 2.0! 3/17

I went on errands today (ventured outside the house :p) and I'm noticing that WiFi is slow to connect/scan. Is the interval changed? I almost have to manually go in and reconnect. I'm running an app called Best WiFi that connects between multiple access points in my house and it's very slow to switch unlike stock firmware that almost did it too often.

Still loving ICScamwich as a whole though. Very happy :)

Upvote 0
i like, i like.
me encanta :D
version 2.0 lo maximo...

*EDIT*
So far it's running great. Google Play Store crashed a couple times in the beginning while downloading and installing like crazy. Nothing else has crashed. Everything seems snappier and I have more space available due to the lack of AT&T bloatware. The one issue I do have that seems odd is that root doesn't seem to be active. I don't imagine I'll use it but ROM Toolbox Lite reported not rooted. After installing Scamwich CWM said that root might be disabled or something and asked if I wanted to re-enable it? I said no because the last time I flashed a ROM it stayed rooted. Maybe I should have said yes?

The play store and root thing might just require cache wipes. Although the CWM thing sounds weird. I dont make CWMs so i dunno. i did recall having that once flashing a zip like around Xmas, on the cwm6 on the other site. I switched up to an older one from here and havent had that issues so I dunno. Cache wipe might help. cuz this is very rooted. lol.

I went on errands today (ventured outside the house :p) and I'm noticing that WiFi is slow to connect/scan. Is the interval changed?

Awesome rom, great job! Dont know if its just my phone but wifi says error, and will not connect, or even turn on, worked fine in 1.5, thought i would run that by to see if anyone else was having that issue. Thanks again for the work you put into these!

some phones seem to be having their own quirks with wifi. all phoens are different, so stuff happens.

here is what I would suggest if wifi issues.

open the file explorer, go to settings in it, scroll down to "root settings", check all the boxes that pop up, allow SU.

now go back out to the files, hit up, pick "system" folder, scroll down to "build.prop" open it (with ES) find "wifi.supplicant_scan_interval" put a # in front of it. back out and save.(the way this is set just saves battery on mine. i stay connectecd fine, but i dont switch around networks much and stuff)

go do your normal routine MAYBE try a reboot and do your normal thing. Let me know if that changes.

thanks for the thanks everyone. glad people like it.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah- just wondering if there is a way to change the ZTE logo upon start? Little thing, but I do not like the "AreaRom" splash.

Thanks.

ChowBoy

Yeah thats from your kernel. this doesnt change the kernel, so people keep what they had. I never ran it with their kernel, so dont know how it will work, but it would be good to know. Ive ran the stock, anthony, and stayboogs kernels with this and they all worked great.

changing the kernel image is possible, but would require a program on your comp. if you arent averse to that, here's two guides on that.

this one is a program you can download and make changes to the kernel. (Kernel Kitchen) apparently it can change the splash image just on regular windows, with no dev environment, so that would be a good beginner thing. Ive thought about playing around with it before just never did.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1659584

this one is with android kitchen. i never used the kitchen myself, but you need cygwin.
http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-warp-all-things-root/555056-how-splash-image.html

good luck. seems to be easy enough with the kitchen.
dude, is there any chance to do a European version of this rom? I love it, and it's really good that we in Europe have something like this. I tried the first version of this rom, but as in any American rom so far, SMS messages have not worked in Europe.
thank you

Zajchik! good to see you still around. Ive actually been meaning to message you. Ive been wanting to get a Euro compatible version of this going for some time now, just have many projects. i even messaged jamesp, never heard but I dont know if he is ever around. he doesnt have any recent posts.

i think i might just have to change two things to get it working. There is some lines in merit build.props which choose the client id and name trac.fone, which you don't have.

Also, there is a file apns-conf.xml in framework-res. I think that might be it.

Is there any way you can upload the stock Euro build.prop and framework-res.apk? i don't want you guys missing out on this ROM anymore.

Upvote 0
The play store and root thing might just require cache wipes. Although the CWM thing sounds weird. I dont make CWMs so i dunno. i did recall having that once flashing a zip like around Xmas, on the cwm6 on the other site. I switched up to an older one from here and havent had that issues so I dunno. Cache wipe might help. cuz this is very rooted. lol.

Booted into recovery (CWM 6.0.27), did a backup and wiped the cache. Restarted and loaded up SuperUser, it shows:
-rwsr-sr-x root shell /system/bin/su
So, I click on it which checks for updates and it says the installed version is legacy. I click Update and it goes through the process (fixing database, unpacking, remounting, etc) all the way until "Copying su to /system... fail!".

As for your WiFi solution, I don't think my phone is rooted now (for whatever reason) as when I check the 3 root options in ES File Explorer, no box comes up and it says failed to mount.

Upvote 0
Tried the wifi fix, and still a no go on my phone anyway, cant for the life of me figure it out! Even tried flashing back to 1.5 and wifi says error now to, and didnt before. Only thing I think I changed was tried 777 v2.0 oc kernal before flashing over to ice cream scamwich 2.0. Thanks so much for the help, its amazing to see how far this phone and roms have come

Upvote 0
Booted into recovery (CWM 6.0.27), did a backup and wiped the cache. Restarted and loaded up SuperUser, it shows:
So, I click on it which checks for updates and it says the installed version is legacy. I click Update and it goes through the process (fixing database, unpacking, remounting, etc) all the way until "Copying su to /system... fail!".

yea I used that cwm6 when I had that happen to me. then it broke my sd-ext so i switched.

I would say try re-installing the ROM. If that don't help I'll see what I can find. i dont know why his cwm has weird root issues like that.

Tried the wifi fix, and still a no go on my phone anyway, cant for the life of me figure it out! Even tried flashing back to 1.5 and wifi says error now to, and didnt before. Only thing I think I changed was tried 777 v2.0 oc kernal before flashing over to ice cream scamwich 2.0. Thanks so much for the help, its amazing to see how far this phone and roms have come

I think you should trying reflashing the kernel. My libs overwrote his. I believe wrong kernel libs will bunk WiFi.

ive flashed his kernel AFTER I was running this ROM and it worked good.

Upvote 0
yea I used that cwm6 when I had that happen to me. then it broke my sd-ext so i switched.

I would say try re-installing the ROM. If that don't help I'll see what I can find. i dont know why his cwm has weird root issues like that.

What version of CWM do you recommend then? I figured newer=better but I'd take your advice over mine :) I also installed the 777MHz kernel after flashing your 2.0 Scamwich.

Seeing jjc13186's post above mine, I realized I should probably re-do my apps onto the larger SD card I'm getting with this:
http://androidforums.com/avail-all-things-root/514270-guide-partition-sd-card-more-user-storage.html
I may as well start everything fresh again if I have to flash recovery & a new ROM.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
: (
after some use I realized:

the phone restarts every time.
wifi disconnects all the time and not my signal.
The icons in the notification bar are out of square by placing the language in Spanish: (, try to correct the framework.res.apk, but remains the same.

rom not want change, but I restarted the phone all the time. : '(

Upvote 0
out of ideas
Just flashed ICScamwich2.0 and noticed very annoying bug - with SIM PIN enabled phone does not wait for PIN to be entered but screen just locks up within seconds and after unlocking by swipe goes straight to the home screen instead of continuing with PIN. So mobile remains unregistered on the network ( after call attempt only error msg pops up, no PIN screen.

Upvote 0
also - I flashed ICScamwich on top of stock fw and noticed that dev key codes used to work with stock are not working any more, e.g.
*983*7668# root
*983*24737# carrieriq disable - please confirm that your firmware has this shit removed)
*983*0# test mode and in "Radio" one is able to switch between 2G/3G (GSM/UMTS) and 2G only - very useful in areas with bad reception

Upvote 0
out of ideas
Just flashed ICScamwich2.0 and noticed very annoying bug - with SIM PIN enabled phone does not wait for PIN to be entered but screen just locks up within seconds and after unlocking by swipe goes straight to the home screen instead of continuing with PIN. So mobile remains unregistered on the network ( after call attempt only error msg pops up, no PIN screen.

That's odd. I actually setup my SIM PIN while using ICScamwich 2.0 (after getting it PUK unlocked from AT&T :D) and it works fine. Shows the keypad after restarting and I've made calls without issue.

On a side note, it seems my WiFi is behaving more. Might be due to the fact that I switched my routers from N-only to NG-mixed or due to a couple restarts. Also... root is working. Not sure how that happened but after switching from auto-approve in SuperUser to prompt, it works great.

Upvote 0
- with SIM PIN enabled phone does not wait for PIN to be entered
Turn off Holo locker. Sounds like their issue. The lockscreen PIN and gesture lock work fine.
: (
after some use I realized:

the phone restarts every time.
wifi disconnects all the time and not my signal.
The icons in the notification bar are out of square by placing the language in Spanish: (, try to correct the framework.res.apk, but remains the same.

rom not want change, but I restarted the phone all the time. : '(

1. every time what? are you doing something specific? what kernel do you have, were ya using something to move apps to SD? Mine has not Restarted in months.
2. Try the # wifi_supplicant thing I mentioned a couple posts up.
3. Status bar is in SystemUI.apk

Upvote 0

As for your WiFi solution, I don't think my phone is rooted now (for whatever reason) as when I check the 3 root options in ES File Explorer, no box comes up and it says failed to mount.

i dont know if this will fix your problem but i know each time ive ever flashed a rom even if it does set up root and everything you still need to go to applications and make sure unknown sourses is on then go to development and make sure usb debugging is on. i had a similar problem and that fixed it right up.

Upvote 0
i dont know if this will fix your problem but i know each time ive ever flashed a rom even if it does set up root and everything you still need to go to applications and make sure unknown sourses is on then go to development and make sure usb debugging is on. i had a similar problem and that fixed it right up.

Now that you mentioned it, I think that might be something I did right before it started working. I'm going to re-flash and see if I can get it to replicate again.

Upvote 0
Now that you mentioned it, I think that might be something I did right before it started working. I'm going to re-flash and see if I can get it to replicate again.

you shouldnt have to reflash the rom but if you want to you can and then go straight to settings and make sure those two things are enabled and then update the superuser binary and it should work just fine.

Upvote 0
you shouldnt have to reflash the rom but if you want to you can and then go straight to settings and make sure those two things are enabled and then update the superuser binary and it should work just fine.

I'm going to get a new SD card and re-partition and re-install stuff. May as well start fresh entirely :) Both are checked now and I'm having absolutely no problems whatsoever. WiFi is great, ROM is reliable.

I look forward to any future releases very eagerly :)

*EDIT*
Forgot to mention, I do have both options checked/enabled now.

Upvote 0
I didn't manage to get the stock Task Manager working with the 2.0, even trying to install it from system/app folder. Whenever I try to install it the message "Application not installed" appears.
Also, how can I change the background color? the 2.0 is a beautiful blue but in some parts or apps it stays weird, I prefer the black background, but again it's only my taste, anything with the ROM itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones