• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM RELEASE] 2.2-based Byron Bare

So I have flashed and used every froyo rom available and I'm back on Byron Bare. With Velocity I was down to 37mb with all apps on my phone. It should be noted that I have a class 6 16gb card but that apps on sd created lag and update problems. With overclocking my phone would be faster but it never stuck (and that is without rebooting and not having set a value at boot). Anyway, I dug this rom when it first dropped and am happy to say that I am back. No I can't theme or remove the clock but having 118mb with all apps on my phone makes for a great user experience. Not bashing velocity or a froyo rom or even standard byron...I'm just finding bare to be superior for me. Thankx darkxsun.

Reactions: darkxsun
Upvote 0
I haven't, but I bet you could take the boot.img from Velocity and flash it to /boot.

The more I play with this build the more I think OC is not needed. This is a very smooth running ROM. I may try it just to see if it will work, but so far none of the apps I run would benefit much from it and battery life would most likely suffer.

Upvote 0
I came back after installing Velocity 1 and I am having a problem getting my bluetooth headset paired. It force closes with process com.android.settings. I can never get it to pair. It also doesn't work with Byron full.

I know it use to work before I installed Velocity. The weird thing is, even after I install Byron, if I boot to recovery, I see the Velocity boot screen for just a second before it boots into recovery.

I would really like to get this fixed since I really love this rom, but I need my headset.

Upvote 0
I came back after installing Velocity 1 and I am having a problem getting my bluetooth headset paired. It force closes with process com.android.settings. I can never get it to pair. It also doesn't work with Byron full.

I know it use to work before I installed Velocity. The weird thing is, even after I install Byron, if I boot to recovery, I see the Velocity boot screen for just a second before it boots into recovery.

I would really like to get this fixed since I really love this rom, but I need my headset.

I've heard of one other case of bluetooth problems... a re-download or re-flash solved it (can't remember which).

I think you're referring to the Velocity branding on the recovery image that comes with Velocity 1.0. Re-flash your recovery of choice, that should go away.

Reactions: icon123
Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. It definetly isn't a re-flash, did that many of times. I will try to download but I don't think that is it either. Like I said, I just d/l Byron Full too and it does it as well to it. It also does it to a nandroid backup I had prior to gong to Velocity. I don't know how it could, but it seems like it as something to do with Velocity. BTW, if I use my Velocity nandorid backup or re-flash it, I don't have any problems paring my headset. Here's the actual error:

The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Any other suggestions. I might actuall try to go back to stock and try the whole process over again. That's how much I like this rom. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the compliment. I can't imagine anything I removed that had anything to do with bluetooth or the settings app, but I'll look into it and see if I can find anything.

The other person that reported this problem, never said if he got it to work. At that point it was working for me. I wish I never left.

Weird that I can flash a nandroid of pre-foryo, froyo, velocity 1.0 and the bluetooth pairing works everytime. And regardless if I use my Bryon bare nandroid or a new flash, it keeps FCing. I tried a re-download of it btw, no difference.

Any idea of what I could try or what might cause it (or more importantly, how to fix it?).

Upvote 0
The other person that reported this problem, never said if he got it to work. At that point it was working for me. I wish I never left.

Weird that I can flash a nandroid of pre-foryo, froyo, velocity 1.0 and the bluetooth pairing works everytime. And regardless if I use my Bryon bare nandroid or a new flash, it keeps FCing. I tried a re-download of it btw, no difference.

Any idea of what I could try or what might cause it (or more importantly, how to fix it?).

The other person with BT problems (socobandit) had success with Byron (Full). Does a fresh flash of Byron do the same?

Upvote 0
The other person with BT problems (socobandit) had success with Byron (Full). Does a fresh flash of Byron do the same?

Yes - same problem with full. Its definetly a head scratcher since it 'use' to work and works with every other rom. After it FCs a couple of times it says that there was a problem with pairing the device and that the passcode was changed or incorrect (something like that).

When I get a chance, I will try to pair it with my cars and see if I get better results.

Upvote 0
Yes - same problem with full. Its definetly a head scratcher since it 'use' to work and works with every other rom. After it FCs a couple of times it says that there was a problem with pairing the device and that the passcode was changed or incorrect (something like that).

When I get a chance, I will try to pair it with my cars and see if I get better results.

What recovery did you originally flash with (back when it worked)?

Upvote 0
What recovery did you originally flash with (back when it worked)?

Back in the preFroyo days, I used clockworks recovery. To get to Froyo, I used Trident's guide which I assume was using a flavor of GetItNowMarketing's recovery "amonra_recovery.img".

I do see that Velocity comes with a recovery witin its rom. So...

how do I go about switching recoveries? That is the only think that has changes. Thanks again for your help.

Edit: nevermind put old recovery on. I will test again in a bit.

Upvote 0
It didn't work when I used the original recovery nor when I went all the way back to original stock and reupgraded to Froyo stock, then tried reflashing Byron bare and full with no sucess. Determined, this is how I got it to work...

Booted back into velocity and made sure my headset was paired and working. Made Titanium backup. Restored nandroid backup of Byron bare. Deleted old headset pairing. Restored Titanium backup of bluetooth settings and pairings. Rebooted and headset worked without repairing.

What a bitch, but happy to be back :)

Upvote 0
Now that I'm back...

Couple of things:

- Wireless tether FCs, not when I first start it, but when I click the wifi link to initiate it. I had a previous version installed that I removed prior to flashing this one. The market won't let me install it now. How do I remove the one I flashed?

I noticed in Navigation that there is no option for "speaking" your destination, kind of miss that.

Sorry, not trying to be a PITA.

Upvote 0
Now that I'm back...

Couple of things:

- Wireless tether FCs, not when I first start it, but when I click the wifi link to initiate it. I had a previous version installed that I removed prior to flashing this one. The market won't let me install it now. How do I remove the one I flashed?

I noticed in Navigation that there is no option for "speaking" your destination, kind of miss that.

Sorry, not trying to be a PITA.

That was the problem with Wifi tether in the past, but for me it is working now. Have you flashed the version in the first post of this thread?

To remove it, delete the .apk and .odex from /system/app/ (via your favorite method), and then reboot.

As for navigation, this is probably related to voice search. You can get this in the market.

Also, can any other users report success or failure with bluetooth?

Upvote 0
That was the problem with Wifi tether in the past, but for me it is working now. Have you flashed the version in the first post of this thread?

To remove it, delete the .apk and .odex from /system/app/ (via your favorite method), and then reboot.

As for navigation, this is probably related to voice search. You can get this in the market.

Also, can any other users report success or failure with bluetooth?

I re-downloaded and installed, just to be sure. Same results. I'll play with it somemore when I get a chance.

As far as the BT issue, I'm not saying there is something wrong with your rom perse, especially since you say its pretty close to stock, but when I used the Titanium backup, I had it restore anything to do with BT, so it might have grabed something newer or missing from your rom. I probably did something similar initially when I got it working, i.e., I probably restored from the stock Froyo rom, so the problem might have masked itself.

Upvote 0
I re-downloaded and installed, just to be sure. Same results. I'll play with it somemore when I get a chance.

As far as the BT issue, I'm not saying there is something wrong with your rom perse, especially since you say its pretty close to stock, but when I used the Titanium backup, I had it restore anything to do with BT, so it might have grabed something newer or missing from your rom. I probably did something similar initially when I got it working, i.e., I probably restored from the stock Froyo rom, so the problem might have masked itself.

It's probably not restoring something missing, more likely the settings app is crashing when trying to set it up, but when Titanium sets it up, it's no problem.

Actually, an interesting test would be to (make a backup and) attempt to remove and re-pair now that it's fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones