• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root root for gingerbread 2.3.3 + universal root guide

Did you root your phone successfully with this method?

• Total voters
1. Download attached file and copy it to your sdcard
2. Run in maintenance mode (power + middle button)
3. Update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip.
4. After the update completed - reboot in normal mode.

Thats all - now you have rooted ace with android 2.3.3, and superuser in your apps.

U are a freaking life saver :p
I ld say I love you man.. but unfortunately man to man love is not very encouraged in the community i live in.. any ways.. THANKS A BUNCH MATE .. Cheers!!

Upvote 0
soo I'm totally new to this hole thing, so just before i do it wrong (i need idiot proof instructions)

1. Download attached file and copy it to your sdcard

just anywhere on the sdcard...does it not matter?

3. Update from sdcard, select the file upd_1.zip.

no idea how man "updates from sdcard" ??

i've no idea what bricking it is but i'm pretty sure its something i don't want to be doing, so all help much appreciated :)

Upvote 0
soo I'm totally new to this hole thing, so just before i do it wrong (i need idiot proof instructions)

just anywhere on the sdcard...does it not matter?

no idea how man "updates from sdcard" ??

i've no idea what bricking it is but i'm pretty sure its something i don't want to be doing, so all help much appreciated :)

so i just thought i'd risk it for a biscuit, just rebooting now...and i now have superuser. cooool :)

Upvote 0
Hi people,

I think the instructions in the first post may not be so clear to all, so I will add more steps to make things clearer.

1. Download the attached file to your pc.
2. Rename the file as update.zip
3. Connect your phone to your pc using the cable.
4. Transfer the file update.zip from your pc to your phone.
5. The directory should be F:\... (This is the main directory of the SD card. Need not be F drive, but you should know which external drive)
6. Use safe eject on your pc to unmount your phone.
7. Disconnect your phone from your pc. (You can detach the cables now)
8. Switch off your phone.
9. Hold both the power button and middle button (You will find this easier if you hold the middle button first then the power button(without releasing the middle button)) - This is because holding the middle button alone will not do anything, but holding the power button alone will switch on the phone
10. The screen will boot up now.
11. Use the Volume Down button on the left of the phone to select "Update from update.zip".
12. After the update is completed, simply choose "reboot in normal mode".

Cheers

I used Galaxy ACE running on Gingerbread 2.3.3
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XWKPY

Upvote 0
thanks I rooted fine, very simple process.

The only confusing part was when holding the buttons down.

So do like this.

1 - power phone off.
2 - hold down the middle button and whilst holding it down then start holding down the power button.
3 - when the samsung logo appears let go of the power button but keep holding the middle button.
4 - the recovery mode should appear.

Upvote 0
Hi jst followed ur advice and rooted my phone..i find super user in my applications..wat i wil do with that super user ..i dont know wat to do..help me pls
I followed all your instructions,
my Samsung is rooted now, I see Superuser in Applications,
everything works perfect !!
SG ACE, Android 2.3.3, XWKPW

Before I tried:
- SuperOneClick 2.1.1 - frozen at Step 6,
- Z4Root - nothing done,
- Universal AndRoot - I found only version for Android 2.2......

and now Im happy with your solution !!!!
THANKS!!!!

Upvote 0
I think you will have to rename 'Universal_GB_ROOT_v5.zip' to 'Update.zip' before hitting the 'update from sd card' button, else you will get 'Update.zip not found' error in the recovery.

On my samsung galaxy mini even if i named the zip file HomerSimpson.zip I have no problem to apply it...problem is many people before rooting have disable the option unknown sources and you must create folder so the zip file can be found or you will get a message the procedure cannot continue and they usualy have this error in the end E: Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) ;)

Upvote 0
When I use this procedure with ACE on 2.3.4 I also get:

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip[/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif] (Status 7)[/FONT] [FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Installation aborted.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Any ideas?[/FONT]

If you have Galaxy ACE or any other model that is writen in the post you will be able to root your phone. Try this one but read cerefully all the steps and reply me there : http://androidforums.com/ace-all-th...al-gingerbread-root-unroot-2-3-3-2-3-7-a.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones