• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROOT] Samsung Galaxy s3 (SCH-S968C) (straight talk)

was this helpful?

• Total voters
OK, I'll be right back with the guide to downgrade and a link to the H1 tar, the rest of the info for rooting/flashing recovery and the ROMs are not even close to what is up to date but for the newer stuff you'll need a CDMA SIM card if you want to flash a newer custom ROM or you won't get any 3g data. There are a few 4.4.4 Kit Kat ROMs that work without a SIM but they require third party apps for camera and MMS(SMS works fine but not multimedia like pic messages). I can walk you through however you want to go and get you setup with whatever you want within your means.

Ok what is the latest version of android I can use with the SCH-S968C if I have a sim card I can put in and where do you get those OS. It is an H1 and I rooted it and checked that was all good. Then ran the .img through the Terminal Emulator. I guess that worked? Installed the key board and no bloat but it seams just like a factory phone that has been rooted. Is that all this was supposed to do.

Upvote 0
Ok what is the latest version of android I can use with the SCH-S968C if I have a sim card I can put in and where do you get those OS. It is an H1 and I rooted it and checked that was all good. Then ran the .img through the Terminal Emulator. I guess that worked? Installed the key board and no bloat but it seams just like a factory phone that has been rooted. Is that all this was supposed to do.

Yes, rooting only gives you root access to modify system and flash custom ROMs, if you're rooted and have the custom recovery installed correctly then all you have to do is find a ROM you want and compatible gapps package and get them downloaded and placed on your ext sdcard then boot to recovery and do the recommended wipes(wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache, then go to advanced options and wipe dalvik cache) then flash the ROM and then the Gapps then reboot to system when its done, then wait for your phone to boot into system then do the setup wizard and sign in to your Google account. If you have terminal emulator then open terminal and type:

su

then press enter(grant superuser)

Then type: reboot recovery

then press enter and it should boot you to recovery or you can turn the phone off and press and hold volume up+home+power and you should boot to recovery.

We have quite a few 5.0+ lollipop ROMs for this phone, anything that is d2vzw(the same as Verizon sch-i535) will work on this phone. You can go to XDA Developers and look in the Verizon S3(i535) forum for everything compatible with your phone.

After you get the ROM installed I'll have to walk you through getting MMS setup to work right. Let me know what help you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTSGIXXER
Upvote 0
If you have questions about anything you find at XDA then you can find me there and PM me there, my username there is N_psycho_PD_uh? You'll probably see me in quite a few threads that have stuff for this phone, you'll also see me at Android Area 51 with the same username.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones