• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted and ready to install a ROM...think I need some help.

cubsfanaz

Mar 1, 2011
I've had my Droid for about a year, and finally decided to play around with it. Over the weekend, I successfully rooted the phone, installed ROM Manager, flashed ClockworkMod Recovery, then booted to recovery mode and ran the Nandroid Backup. From here, I would like to install a ROM (probably CyanogenMod). However, after reading many threads, I'm starting to get confused. So, if anyone can answer a couple questions, I would be most appreciative.

1. From what I have read, I need to save the ROM to the root of my SD card, then boot into recovery mode, and install it from there. Is this correct?

2. Before I install, do I wipe everything clean with the options in recovery mode?

3. After I install the ROM, will all my Apps and settings remain. For example, will I lose my string of text messages, contacts, etc.? Or does that remain on the phone. I have read something about Titanium Backup. Is this required?

4. If I decide I don't like the ROM, is it possible to revert back to what the phone is running now, Version 2.2.1?

5. What was the point of my Nandroid backup? Do I ever use these files? If so, how are they used?

Sorry for all the questions. I have read so much info, I think I might just be confusing myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am new myself, but I will try answering from what I have read...

1. From what I have read, I need to save the ROM to the root of my SD card, then boot into recovery mode, and install it from there. Is this correct? Correct

2. Before I install, do I wipe everything clean with the options in recovery mode? Yes. In fact, most of the guides recommend doing it three times. This may be when switching between custom ROMS. But better safe than sorry.

3. After I install the ROM, will all my Apps and settings remain. For example, will I lose my string of text messages, contacts, etc.? Or does that remain on the phone. I have read something about Titanium Backup. Is this required? Depending on what you want. Google will try to restore apps, contacts, calendar etc, but if you want your settings, text messages etc, you'll want Ti Backup. Although, I wasn't able to restore my texts using it, most importantly MMS. I used MyBackup Pro to restore these (I think the free Root version would have worked, just not if transferring between devices).

4. If I decide I don't like the ROM, is it possible to revert back to what the phone is running now, Version 2.2.1? That is why you do the Nandroid backup before you start flashing anything.

5. What was the point of my Nandroid backup? Do I ever use these files? If so, how are they used? It is to restore the file system back to previous states, especially if you run into your phone not booting, unresponsive, etc.

Reactions: cubsfanaz
Upvote 0
I've had my Droid for about a year, and finally decided to play around with it. Over the weekend, I successfully rooted the phone, installed ROM Manager, flashed ClockworkMod Recovery, then booted to recovery mode and ran the Nandroid Backup. From here, I would like to install a ROM (probably CyanogenMod). However, after reading many threads, I'm starting to get confused. So, if anyone can answer a couple questions, I would be most appreciative.

1. From what I have read, I need to save the ROM to the root of my SD card, then boot into recovery mode, and install it from there. Is this correct?

2. Before I install, do I wipe everything clean with the options in recovery mode?

3. After I install the ROM, will all my Apps and settings remain. For example, will I lose my string of text messages, contacts, etc.? Or does that remain on the phone. I have read something about Titanium Backup. Is this required?

4. If I decide I don't like the ROM, is it possible to revert back to what the phone is running now, Version 2.2.1?

5. What was the point of my Nandroid backup? Do I ever use these files? If so, how are they used?

Sorry for all the questions. I have read so much info, I think I might just be confusing myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1) Incorrect. You have Clockwork Mod, which does not require you to have it only in the root of the SDCard - it can be anywhere, you can installing it via Recovery as follows: From the main recovery screen, select install zip from sdcard then press the camera button then select choose zip from sdcard then press the camera button and then you're presented with a list of all the folders and files on your SDCard (usually ordered by last modified). find the file (select folders and press the camera button to 'open them' and then finally after selecting the correct file, press the camera button.

2) That partially depends. Are you putting a ROM that is the same version of Android that you are already running? If so, then you might be able to get by without wiping - however, it is recommended that only seasoned veterans do this as you'll never know if any idiosyncrasies that you encounter are being caused by the ROM itself or because of the fact that you didn't wipe. So, short answer, it's better if you do wipe. But do realize that wiping means you'll be starting fresh off as if you just bought your phone, having to log into your Google account and everything.

3) If you wipe, they're gone. If you make a backup using TiBu (or MybackupPro, or other apps, although these are by a very large margin the two favorites) then you can restore most, if not all, of your settings and such using either program. Google will restore most of your settings, but things that are 'logged' (SMS, MMS, Call logs) will not be restored. So, although it is not required it is a tremendous tool to have. Also, realize this - you'll probably try a few ROMs out here and there before settling on one that you really like. having to reinstall all your apps and set them all up again, not to mention all of your ROM settings, is a major PITA....

4) Yep, that is what that Nandroid backup is for.

5) See my answer to #4

Upvote 0
Icecold is correct.

1. MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST! You can not do this too often! It takes a snapshot image of your phone's current state and compresses it into a folder on your SD card. If the pooch gets screwed (and without a backup it probably will :rolleyes: ), then you can restore to that last known good state.

2. Access recovery with x+power, wipe data (this also wipes cache) THREE times. Then install zip from SD card, choose zip and select your ROM.

3. After you install the ROM, you will power up the phone. The first boot takes a LONG time as the phone repopulates the system and data partitions. You will be prompted to enter your gmail account and it will be a new phone. Your apps, once logged in, should all restore... as will your contacts and calendar. Icecold mentioned MyBackupPro, something I find indispensible for backing up SMS/MMS, call log, bookmarks and alarms. Use that BEFORE wiping and then restore when you're up and running on your ROM.

4. If you decide you don't like the ROM, go back into recovery, wipe data again and go to "nandroid" and restore your backup. It'll be like nothing ever happened.

Between Icecold and me, I think we have you covered. Follow the steps, don't skip any (especially the backup bit), and you'll be fine!

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info.

I have installed the CyanogenMod ROM. The phone has booted up, but I haven't been prompted to set up with Google or anything and none of my apps are loaded, including the My Backup app. Also, I'm not seeing an app for the market, so not sure how I could even download them. Any advice is appreciated. I did a Nandroid Backup prior to the install, so I now have two of them saved.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this info.

I have installed the CyanogenMod ROM. The phone has booted up, but I haven't been prompted to set up with Google or anything and none of my apps are loaded, including the My Backup app. Also, I'm not seeing an app for the market, so not sure how I could even download them. Any advice is appreciated. I did a Nandroid Backup prior to the install, so I now have two of them saved.

Thanks.

After more reading, I'm thinking for Cyanogen I need to install the google apps separately.

Upvote 0
Umm, no, sorry, but with Clockwork Mod Recovery your ROMs can be located anywhere on the SDCard - I know b/c I always put my ROMs into a folder based upon which generation it is.

SPRecovery is the one that required you to put them on the root of the SDCard. Clockwork does not.

from My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image

Features of the recovery image include Nandroid backup, adb shell, mount USB storage, advanced update.zip options (ignore asserts and signature checks), and file browser (so you can place your zips in subdirectories and organize them).

Upvote 0
You're right, JohnGalt, I was just wanting to keep it simple for the new guy. Putting the ROM in the root of the SD card makes it easier to find, that's all. But yes, you can put your ROMs in a folder - like one named "ROMs" - and ClockworkMod will find them.

Cubsfanaz: yes, you'll want to flash CyanogenMod, then immediately flash Gapps while still in recovery.

Upvote 0
I successfully installed CyanogenMod and Google Apps. However, I was running into a problem getting my wifi to connect. After searching online, it seems that has been a problem for others too. So, I went in and restored my nandroid backup. It worked great and I am back to stock.

Any recommendations on good ROMs to try out and the best places to download them from? Also, will I have to install Google Apps with each ROM?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Umm, no, sorry, but with Clockwork Mod Recovery your ROMs can be located anywhere on the SDCard - I know b/c I always put my ROMs into a folder based upon which generation it is.

SPRecovery is the one that required you to put them on the root of the SDCard. Clockwork does not.

from My Brain Hurts: ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery Image

You're right, JohnGalt, I was just wanting to keep it simple for the new guy. Putting the ROM in the root of the SD card makes it easier to find, that's all. But yes, you can put your ROMs in a folder - like one named "ROMs" - and ClockworkMod will find them.

Cubsfanaz: yes, you'll want to flash CyanogenMod, then immediately flash Gapps while still in recovery.

well said,chief. if you want to hide your roms in folders(for whatevr reason) thats fine,but for people just getting into it,youre adding unneccesary information. it is much easier and simpler for new ROMers to just place the rom on the root level. it can then be found easily,and by any recovery.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for all the info here. I successfully installed the Ultimate Droid ROM, finally got the wifi working, then installed the CyanogenMod ROM. I decided for now to go with Ultimate Droid. I had used the nandroid in recovery to make a backup of Ultimate Droid. So when I decided to go back to it, I used my nandroid backup to return to Ultimate Droid. Everything is working great. However, is it okay to use the nandroid backup to switch to another ROM, or is it better to install it over again from the zip file?

Also, would it be wise to backup by nandroid backup files to my PC?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
ABSOLUTELY backup your backups to the PC! In fact, I back up the entire SD card JUST IN CASE.

No one here with any experience would recommend you use Clockwork and nandroid to butterfly between ROMs. The older the backup, the more updating you'll need to do in the market and it's just bad business all around. Can you do it? Yes. Doesn't mean you should.

I always wipe (x3) and install fresh ROMs. If you want to compare two or three ROMs that you have backed up, then I guess you can nandroid between them - making sure you wipe well before restoring. I, as a rule, wouldn't make a habit of it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones