• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Rooted and Rommed" by a noobie, oh yeah!

NCTurner

Android Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2010
NC
I rooted my DX a couple of days ago, but wasn't able to flash it successfully. I didn't really know what I was doing, as it was ALL new to me. I really couldn't find a good "flashing for idiots" guide, either. Well, long story short, I pulled up an excellent youtube video, and followed that. Minutes later, voila! Success! I flashed it with Apex. I'm SHOCKED at how much smoother and faster my phone is now! I loved my DX before, but now I may wanna marry it! Seriously though, I'm quite impressed with it.

Is there a better ROM than Apex now? Is Rubix focused better? I realize that may be the neverending debate, but would like opinions on which might be a better fit. I really just want something that's the least buggy and can give me options for keeping the speed up, but without a lot of time spent doing that.

Lastly, what are some of the "main things" you people do once you're rooted and flashed? I already bought Titanium BU, and of course wireless tether. I got Shootme for the screen captures. Anything else?

Thanks again for any help and advice!

I really think this is one of the best apps you can use once rooted. You can set which keyboard to use based on the orientation of the phone i.e. Swype for portrait and MT for landscape, etc. You do have to use root explorer to set it up though, it's not like a typical apk install.

Edit: might help if I include the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=830177

Upvote 0
Hey NCturner, just a few things that i have found are really important when rooting the X you want to make sure you do a back up! before you do any roms in-case you make a boo-boo and thank you brick your phone, like if you do a boot-animation and it loops but never boots.. you can still get into a reset and fix it and go back to your backed up point.. also if you have to get a replacement and take everything back to factory default the back up helps a lot!!! :) i am guess that you already now that, i just like to reiterate that :)

okay now looking on this forum site i have found lots of helpful things and you get lots of good feedback from people :) so, do some looking around on here ;)

lastly i think Apex is awesome and very smooth so keep for awhile and see what mods you can do to it :) i made mine all honeycombesk with the bee as my boot logo and my boot animation its pretty tight looking like i have 3.0 software :)

here are apps that i have, hope they help you :)

Droid X bootstrapper - A must have

Root Checker - not a must but nice to make sure your fully rooted

Rom manager 3.0.1.4 - good for roms, but be careful

Wireless Tether -- you have it, its great!! :)

and a launcher app like ADW or launcher Pro.. i believe that Apex already uses ADW but you can use whatever you like more ;)

Have Fun Bud!!

Upvote 0
As far as Rom's go that is really up to how the phone reacts to different ones. Some of the good ones are Apex, Rubix, Liberty 1.5 as well as Fission. I run Fission and use to run Apex. Fission has my phone in tip top shape and just the way I wanted it...

All the others I have tried as well but Fission just works better with my phone. Just trial and error is all I can pretty much tell you. Eventually you will find one that suits your phone...:D

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for the helpful tips! I'm absolutely loving the root/flashing! I was having significant problems with Pandora starting/stopping, but ever since I installed Apex, that seems to have been resolved.

Question: I understand that it's best to not remove motoblur, but rather to use Titanium Backup to freeze it. My question: what exactly do I look for and freeze? I looked for a listing and didn't see one. Thank you again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones