• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted phone cannot check for ICS update

jviggiano

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a rooted HTC Thunderbolt with just the stock Gingerbread and HTC Touch ROM.
Like many Thunderbolt users, I quickly got word of the ICS update rolling out and am willing to OTA it and unroot just to have ICS.
However, when I go to Settings -> Software Update -> Check New, tapping Check New does nothing. It just blips green for a second and doesn't perform the check.
I tried a simple reboot and that didn't fix the issue. Of course I can try a factory reset, but I'd rather have that be a last resort.

Does anyone else have this issue or know if it's normal for rooted Thunderbolts? Thanks!

Thank you so much santod. Your reply was very helpful.

Now I have another obstacle that has me stumped...

I rooted a few months ago seemingly successfully. Now, I think there's something wrong with my root. Titanium backup just sits at "Asking for root rights", root checker just sits at "Please wait for root check to complete" and ROM manager doesn't do anything when I tap my phone model for the recovery.

Can I just "re-root" could it be that simple?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones