• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooted Stock 2.1 rom and 3-3-2001 OTA update concerns

I'm currently rooted (using the 1 touch method) using the stock 2.1 rom. I just got the notification for an firmware update (New rom version, radio, VVM - http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/eris.pdf). I haven't updated yet because I wanted to see if doing so might have any adverse effects/unroot the phone, etc. The update isn't a gamechanger, but I wouldn't mind a few of the upgrades it offers.

Any input? Thanks in advance.

hmm. i dont have a system updates option with the "tasty bread" 2.3.2 im running... let me load up my stock rom and ill get back to you. :)

edit:
ok,so i loaded up my rooted stock rom and checked for system updates. the update downloaded,verified,and asked if i wanted to install. i tapped install now.

it did some things,rebooted,skateboarding androids,then amon recovery. i chose reboot system,and it continued rebooting. when it was finished i checked about phone again... the update does not appear to have changed anything. i have the same radio i had before,not the one your PDF file listed( 2.42.02.10.29 instead of 2.42.01.04.27) and my rom number is 2.37.605.4,not 2.41.605.6. however,when i check for updates again,it says "your system is up to date". so i dont know if it really did anything or not.

i am,however, still rooted after the update. the superuser ninja is still there,and i still have my "trackball not required" amon_ra recovery. i hadnt downloaded any root user apps on this rom,so i downloaded drocap and took a screen shot just to make sure it worked. it installed and asked for superuser permissions when i ran it.

id say you are fine to go ahead and install the update,assuming you have completed all the steps to rooting(got amon_ra installed,made a just in case backup). :)

Upvote 0
I'm currently rooted (using the 1 touch method) using the stock 2.1 rom. I just got the notification for an firmware update (New rom version, radio, VVM - http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/eris.pdf). I haven't updated yet because I wanted to see if doing so might have any adverse effects/unroot the phone, etc. The update isn't a gamechanger, but I wouldn't mind a few of the upgrades it offers.

Any input? Thanks in advance.

If you choose to update it will fail, because you have Amon's Recovery installed from 1-click it will fail when it tries, and I understand that it will then stop nagging you from installing.

If you want to get the updates, you'll have to unroot in order to let the update install. We have already heard from another user that you can still root with 1-click after installing the update.

Upvote 0
If you choose to update it will fail, because you have Amon's Recovery installed from 1-click it will fail when it tries, and I understand that it will then stop nagging you from installing.

If you want to get the updates, you'll have to unroot in order to let the update install. We have already heard from another user that you can still root with 1-click after installing the update.

so my update obviously dint change the radio or rom,is it givining me the "your system is up to date" message because of amon-ra? i dint get any "install failed" messages,it appeared to have installed just fine(other than not changing anything :p )

Upvote 0
so my update obviously dint change the radio or rom,is it givining me the "your system is up to date" message because of amon-ra? i dint get any "install failed" messages,it appeared to have installed just fine(other than not changing anything :p )

Verizon rolls the updates out over a long period, and your phone just hasn't been chosen to receive it yet. The radio is unchanged from the July OTA, btw. But, if you did receive the update and took the option to update, per Erisuser1 Amon's Recovery cannot install the update, so the update will fail and the phone will restart without installing anything. You need to go back to full stock (by using Flashback21) to bring back the stock Recovery. Then the update will take. Of course, you will then need to root again, and if you flash another ROM all of those improvements will be lost to you.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

Well, what happened is that the program in the regular OS that is responible for dowloading and kicking off the update process (by dropping two files into specific locations in /cache, and then booting into the recovery) actually never checks to see if the installation succeeded. It simply assumes that success occurred, and will never download the OTA again.

As doogald pointed out above, if you have a "custom recovery" on your phone, there are two separate reasons why the OTA will fail.

So, depending on what you want, that's either a good thing or a bad thing. If you have a rooted stock rom but don't want the update, and want the nagging to stop - that's a good thing.

If you have a rooted stock rom and you do want the update, you will need to install it with and alternative method. In the discussion of the OTA in the thread over on XDA, user gnarlyc posted zips that are flashable using Amon_RA. They perform the same update, but without overwriting the recovery or flashing the radio.

eu1

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones